+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Trading Spaces - Is it the end of the line?

Re: Trading Spaces - Is it the end of the line?

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2789205;
    I find Thad slightly irritating in the smae way Ty came to annoy me after a while.
    He hasn't been as bad since Paige has been back, but in his earlier episodes it felt to me that he was trying to be Ty Version 2.

I agree with schmoo about liking Frank. I'm not a fan of his designs but he seems to be such a lovely guy who genuinely wants to please and give the homeowners rooms that he thinks they'll like.
    I also like, Edward, I believe his name is. You know, the guy who used to be the head of sewing. The one with the ponytail?

And for carpenters, I like Faber. He truly does do good craftsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;2789220;
    I also like, Edward, I believe his name is. You know, the guy who used to be the head of sewing. The one with the ponytail?
    Ah, Edward Walker, I'd forgotten about him. Yes, I liked him also. As a designer, there were several rooms of his that I liked, with warm colors and an elegant touch to them (as much as possible with the show's budget). And as a person, he seemed so personable with a touch of impish Southern charm about him, and it all worked well accompanied by that lovely Southern accent. A true Southern gentleman.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I liked Edward too.
    Even if I don't always like the designs, I appreciate any designer that appears to have integrity and pride in their work.
    Doug and Hilde appear to have neither, or at the very least are willing to cast what they do have aside in order to shock.
    Neither seems to see the series as a vehicle on which to showcase their talents. It doesn't appear to have hurt Doug to have a "couldn't give a crap" attitude, but I couldn't in good conscience produce a hideous room merely because it amused me to do so.
    I can't imagine being so shallow that producing an unliveable design would amuse me in the first place.
    I'm sure I recall reading that Hilde isnt actually a trained designer, which makes me wonder why she was ever let loose on anyone's home.
    Give the average person a $1000 budget a, carpenter and a couple of days and they'd be able to knock out a decent looking room.
    I understand the desire to make an impact, but Hilde's wall applications are now no more shocking than Laurie easing of the lid of a gallon of paint to reveal another variation on beige.
    It was never very interesting to see Hilde go off on her flights of fancy, imo and now it's just tedious.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2789424;
    I'm sure I recall reading that Hilde isnt actually a trained designer, which makes me wonder why she was ever let loose on anyone's home.
    Your memory serves you correctly regarding Hildi's lack of training as a designer, fluff. From her bio at the TLC TS site:
    Hildi began her design career at an early age, as she spent days rearranging and organizing her sisters’ rooms in North Carolina. Hildi majored in industrial relations and economics at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.

After college, she lived in Washington, D.C., where she worked as a stockbroker and financial analyst, and in New York City, where she worked for a financial services firm that catered to Latin American countries. Her part-time hobby of interior design, however, became a full-time obsession.
    Ah, where to begin analyzing that bio, lol. If all it takes to become a professional designer is to rearrange and organize some rooms in your house, then hey! most of the American population are professional designers! Where's my big paycheck?

It's the last sentence up there that irks me most about her being unleashed on people's homes... a part-time hobby that becomes a full time obsession. In other words, she does indeed do it only to amuse herself, clients be damned.:nono
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Is anyone watching this again now that Paige is back? I'm watching tonight's episode and the guy that's getting his room redone reminds me of Heath Ledger

FORT Fogey

I enjoy Paige. Her hair is overly styled. The exaggeration makes her look very odd in some angles. This is a hair style that will be the source of hysterics in 20 years in a retrospective. It will be in the same catagory with the puffy bangs of the 80's.

Laurie remains my favorite designer and I don't know if she still does this show.

Okay, last night. Goil does not read as genuine. He is a little ball of nerves and giggles. Who is this guy? We will never know him. He is stuck on running a wall paper boarder mid level around rooms, I see. He did a good job on this one, though, I liked it.

Faber got on my nerves day one. Still does.

Someone has to tell the black woman designer to stop saying "girl" every 45 seconds! And lose the hat, for cryin' out loud; it is a stupid accessory for this kind of work. She did a poor job, orange and brown? Maybe for a 1970's bar. She missed the point to help steer the woman toward making the room personal, too. I don't think this omission was totally the fault of his girlfriend. The homeowners follow the lead of the designer, especially if they don't have skill in that area. With almost $200 left over, so much more could have been done. Because of the distance Paige had to travel I think she missed giving her the same encouragement she gave to Dov on this matter.

This relationship is doomed.
    I was disappointed there was no postscript.
    I miss the 2 weeks later segment at the end of each show.
    I will still watch despite the ridiculous format of two adversaries designing for each other.

IIRC, Goil was a finalist on Design Star.

I think the show jumped the shark long ago. The focus on "relationships" this season is a meek attempt at spicing things up, but it's not working for me. What I want to see most is a clever, tasteful design that's geared to the person who will have to live with the makeover. Frank can do that, but most of the other designers can't. I haven't really enjoyed the show since the days when Vern and Hildi went head to head on a couple of challenges.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6;2831753;
    IIRC, Goil was a finalist on Design Star.
    Yes he was and I didn't like Goil on that show either.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6;2831753;
    IIRC, Goil was a finalist on Design Star.....
    I watched both seasons of Design Star and didn't remember him so googled him - Goil was apparently on Top Design.

IMO, he seems so over the top that he's like a caricature. He reminds me of Franck the wedding designer (played by Martin Short) on Father of the Bride (film with Steve Martin).

I really dislike Hilde. It seems like she comes to the episodes with something in mind before she's even seen the room or knows anything about the people she's designing for. She'll say, "I've always wanted to do ..." and do it regardless of whether or not it would be a good fit. I remember one episode where the neighbors working with Hilde stood up to her and she got snippy and pretty much refused to help them. For example, the neighbors asked what paint color she had in mind and she said, "You decide. This is your design."

I am still watching it....and I still don't know why! LOL I used to watch it faithfully years ago and could say it was one of my favorite shows. Now I just have it on and do reading, computing, etc.

I remember one of the old shows with Hilde. The other designer was Doug. Anyway, the producers made the homeowners (who were really actors) pull a fast one on the designers. Hilde had her design and went with it. Next day, she came back to the house and the homeowners had repainted the room a totally different color - which did not go at all with Hilde's design. I think this was the show where Hilde showed the hissy side by saying "You decide. This is your design." I think this couple also had their neighbor's dead pet dog stuffed and incorporated into the designer's plans. Doug had a fan of the show come on to the set to chat with him. Then she sort of started stalking him. Brought in a cake with his picture on it, etc. It was really funny because neither designer saw it coming.

Getting back to last night's show.....I don't think Dov's female roommate was all the keen on the ex-girlfriend at all! She made some comments about her that made me think that she might have some feelings for Dov and did not want to see them reconcile.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast