+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Trading Spaces - Is it the end of the line?

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Re: Trading Spaces - Is it the end of the line?

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat;2773447;
    That was all I could think, you put 3000 nails in the walls!!! I did like in the end they gave the homeowners $500 to fix, re-do or add to the room.

did they? I turned it off after i saw the homeowner apparently liked it - i was in shock.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

I don't know if it'll be enough to revive the show, but I rather enjoyed seeing Paige again.
    Doug Wilson looked dreadful (imo) in the episode I saw.
    He looked like he had make up on, not make up necessary for being on camera, he looked like he was wearing blusher, eye liner and lipgloss to me and he was painfully thin.

I thought Hilde's black rubber ring wall treatment was vile.
    Being and interior designer myself it really is hard to watch someone do something like to a "client's' walls.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2788517;
    Being an interior designer myself it really is hard to watch someone do something like to a "client's' walls.
    Now you see, fluff's the kind of interior designer that I'd hire. She actually used the word 'client' instead of 'victim', which is what I think Doug and Hildie probably use.

That makes me feel comfortable in assuming fluff puts the client's needs/lifestyle/preferences, etc. first, instead of viewing their house as a lab rat to experiment on without remembering the clients have to live in it afterwards.

I'd hire you, fluff!
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

To answer the question this thread poses, Trading Spaces died a slow death over 3 yrs ago. Let it go.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I was going to start watching again with Paige coming back, but I can't stand the designs half the time, and Doug & Hildie are not too bright as far as I am concerned. More for the shock effect versus really doing something nice.
    BLECK.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2788793;
    That makes me feel comfortable in assuming fluff puts the client's needs/lifestyle/preferences, etc. first, instead of viewing their house as a lab rat to experiment on without remembering the clients have to live in it afterwards.
    Absolutely.
    Of course it is a different situation in that the clients are paying me, but I can't imagine not taking that attitude to the show with me if I was one of the resident designers.
    This is why I like Laurie. I know she can get stuck in her palette of pumpkin shades, but I've only ever seen one design of hers that I didn't think enhanced the room and looked as though it cost less than $1000.
    One of the most violent negative reactions I've ever seen was a to a Laurie room, but I thought that woman was a nutcase. Her main objection was to the neutral wallcolour, which is of course the easiest thing to change.

Vern also was a master. Every room of his was beautiful, imo.
    The likes of Doug and Hilde seem to have contempt for the contestants and revel in producing unliveable designs. Both have served up beautiful rooms at times, but the prison room of Doug's was outrageous. That was someone's master bedroom!!
    Hilde just can't control herself. If you want to slap something up on the walls how about wallpaper? It's huge right now and you can get designer rolls from big box stores. There are so many different designs in stock in places like Home Depot with unusual patterns that would allow her to create almost any feel she wanted.
    It would appear she'd rather go for the shock value.
    Any talented designer can create a beach feel without dumping a ton of sand on the floor. Hell, most homeowners would be able to without going to those lengths.
    She's like a bad joke that's been told too many times.

I really don't like Lauren either and while Goil seems like a ncie guy I haven't liked any of his designs so far.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I just have no reason to watch without Vern. A true artist and a pleasure to watch work.
    I also enjoyed Frank because he was so down to earth.

I lost all interest years ago, and hated any time when Doug or Hildy were on.

Personally I find Trading Spaces - Kids , more entertaining and down to earth.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I'm in the minority, but I am watching my first episode since the return, and there does seem to be a little of the old charm back with Paige involved. It feels less like a documentary and more like a story with the cheerleader/rivalry drama and the bad designer bothering the homeowner. Goil is the new Hildi, so far, with a very annoying and forced laugh and fabulousness. He reminds me a little of Chrisitian on PR. Ick.

The best thing about this show so far is watching the oh-so-dreamy Thad Mills as the carpenter. Yum. I'll keep watching for him alone.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

I find Thad slightly irritating in the smae way Ty came to annoy me after a while.
    He hasn't been as bad since Paige has been back, but in his earlier episodes it felt to me that he was trying to be Ty Version 2.

I agree with schmoo about liking Frank. I'm not a fan of his designs but he seems to be such a lovely guy who genuinely wants to please and give the homeowners rooms that he thinks they'll like.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast