+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Trading Spaces - Is it the end of the line?

Re: Trading Spaces - Is it the end of the line?

Long time ago I used to enjoy TS, and I always liked Paige. But even before they got rid of Paige, I had begun to really dislike the show due to the horrendous attitudes and designs of some of the designers, such as Doug and Hildie. It had begun to seem all too often that those two, especially, were going out of their way to see who could do the most ridiculous, horrid, cheap-looking design possible, or to do as opposite of what they know the homeowners would appreciate as possible. As opposed to a Vern Yip who seemed to really try to understand the homeowner's lifestyle and tastes and seemed to make a genuine effort to do the best he could given the low budget. More and more the producers began steering too many shows towards shock value for entertainment instead of being an actual home improvement/helpful type of show.

Finally, after they got rid of Paige -- hence got rid of the one thing that kept it from being completely ridiculous -- I lost interest. I know Paige was too sugary and peppy for some people, but to me, a show like that needs to have a host, and one that can make the homeowners feel comfortable, and Paige could indeed do that.

I watched one episode of TS (last night) with Paige back now, but I'm sorry to say I won't be watching anymore. The show just isn't in the same position it was back in the day. Back in it's heyday when it became so popular, there weren't that many shows like it, so it helped to create a niche for more home improvement/remodel/redesign type of shows. But now there are too many better, smarter, and more useful shows for that niche on HGTV, and even Clean House on the Style Network. TS screwed around with it's format too long, and too much, confused it's viewers too often with it's inconsistency and cheapness, so that now it's more of a poor cousin to the better shows on HGTV.

Sorry, Paige, I'm glad they realized the mistake they made when they got rid of you, but the show is just too far gone to ever be what it once was.... and what it once was just isn't good enough to compete with the current list of home improvement and design shows.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fogey

I agree with everything you said, Nemeses.

Dress My Nest, Color Splash, Small Spaces Big Style and more have taken over HGTV's top decorating line up. They still need more because many others are as tired as Trading Spaces has become, however.

The production company of TS would well be advised to change their format drastically. Listen to the client and give them what they want would be a good place to start, and keep Paige.

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

i liked the episode - thought it was a great idea to bring Paige back!

But Hildi's room - oh yuck! I thought the wall treatment was ok, if i could get past the wall damage - but the bed spread! that was the most hideous thing i have ever seen.

i liked Doug's room, though.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

I didn't even know it was on anymore. I've been lazy when it comes to looking at the tv guide.
    Yup, with donuts!!

the only reason i knew when it was on and that paige was back was because she was on Ellen last week. otherwise i never would have paid it any notice.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;2773310;
    the only reason i knew when it was on and that paige was back was because she was on Ellen last week. otherwise i never would have paid it any notice.
    Isn't it funny how we come here first and then realize something is either premiering or coming back?!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2773312;
    Isn't it funny how we come here first and then realize something is either premiering or coming back?!!
    yup! that should be Fort's new tag line:

FORT, the Source of all Knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;2773310;
    Yup, although I knew the new season with Paige returned would be on, I had forgotten all about the show and had no idea when it's return would be, and I don't watch much on the TLC network anymore so probably missed all ads touting it's return. I only caught it because I was channel surfing at the time and Paige's face showed up when I surfed through TLC. Otherwise I wouldn't have even stopped surfing there.

I'm glad I was able to catch it just to see if the show had any life left in it now that Paige had returned... but, I'm also sorry, because the episode showed me just how bad the show still is. Even Paige's sunny personality couldn't convince me to ever watch it again. The designers as bad as ever, cheapness abounds, drama (or what they appear to consider drama, I just think it's cheesy) is more important to the producers than actual design content, and just a general irrelevance feeling to the show. I feel really bad for Paige, and would enjoy it if she were to be hired as a host for a better quality show, perhaps on HGTV or the Style network. One that doesn't insult the viewer's intelligence or common sense.

As for Doug and Hildie, I hope they get sent to a hell of their own making, which would be having to live forever in a home where all rooms are designed by immature self-entertaining designers with no common sense... in other words, designed by themselves. And I hope the show's producers are their neighbors on all sides. Justice.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;2773296;
    But Hildi's room - oh yuck! I thought the wall treatment was ok, if i could get past the wall damage - but the bed spread! that was the most hideous thing i have ever seen.
    That was all I could think, you put 3000 nails in the walls!!! I did like in the end they gave the homeowners $500 to fix, re-do or add to the room.

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat;2773447;
    That was all I could think, you put 3000 nails in the walls!!! I did like in the end they gave the homeowners $500 to fix, re-do or add to the room.
    I'd take that $500 and get Hildie 'fixed'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast