+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EM: HE Correa/Medeiros Families preview

FORT Newbie

EM: HE Correa/Medeiros Families preview

Credit:www.tvrules.net

"Correa/Medeiros Families, Parts 1 & 2" - For the first time, "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" will stretch beyond one house and one family. Two families from Arvada, Colorado - who were homeless - received the opportunity to live in a ranch-style duplex built by the design team, in a two-hour show airing on Sunday, Febraury 13 (7:00-9:00PM) on ABC.

Before learning that they had been chosen to live in the duplex, the Correa family was living in a homeless shelter and the Medeiros family was constantly moving to stay with friends and relatives. Now the three-bedroom unit of the new duplex will be home to the Medeiros family, while the Correa family will live in the adjacent two-bedroom unit. They will pay a small rent until they can get back on their feet, and can stay in the duplex until they and Colorado Homeless Families, who will actually own the building, decide they are ready to move out. Then other families will move into the duplex, and this process will continue for years to come, so that this EM:HE project will ultimately touch many homeless families.

HomeAid America, a non-profit organization that builds shelters, Colorado Homeless Families, a non-profit that provides transitional housing and services for homeless families, and Builder Captain Standard Pacific Homes came together to help these two families with transitional housing until they can become financially self-sufficient. Both families are extremely grateful for the opportunity to have a home and for the restored determination that they can once again work at making their goals and dreams come true.

Frankie and Noreen Correa and their four children -- Alex, 14, Andrew, 11, Adam, nine, and four-year-old Destiny - had been living in the homeless shelter for almost nine weeks. Frankie used to have a well-paying job working at a box and packaging company. His salary had been enough to support his family. But he was one of 30 people his company laid off after the September 11 terrorist attacks. A three-year slide of other company downsizes, job shortages and part-time work eventually left him without enough money to pay the rent. On cold days, Noreen and little Destiny would ride a bus for hours to keep warm until the shelter opened at 5:00 p.m.

Dusty Medeiros, the mother of two boys -- DaShawn, eight, and Ivan, four -- had been working at a computer store for eight years. But her life began to unravel when she and her boyfriend broke up, and the financial challenge of raising two children on a single income was overwhelming. Without a second income, she could no longer afford her apartment, and she bounced from friend to friend with no permanent place for her or her two young children.

While the contractors, designers and more than 600 crew members and volunteers from local service providers joined forces with the EM:HE design team to build the duplex from the ground up in just seven days, the Correa and Medeiros families enjoyed a vacation at Disney World.

The design team for this episode of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" consists of team leader Ty Pennington, Paul DiMeo, Tracy Hutson, Constance Ramos and Eduardo Xol. "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" is produced by Endemol USA, a division of Endemol Holding.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Dogg
    Credit:www.tvrules.net

"Correa/Medeiros Families, Parts 1 & 2" - For the first time, "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" will stretch beyond one house and one family. Two families from Arvada, Colorado - who were homeless - received the opportunity to live in a ranch-style duplex built by the design team, in a two-hour show airing on Sunday, Febraury 13 (7:00-9:00PM) on ABC.
    That's great, I was thinking they should do something for homeless people.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

I make sure I'm not wearing eye makeup when I watch EM Home Edition, because it invariably makes me weep.. (but its a happy kinda crying of course !)

This one shows redeems all other crappy reality shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Selkie
    I make sure I'm not wearing eye makeup when I watch EM Home Edition, because it invariably makes me weep.. (but its a happy kinda crying of course !)

This one shows redeems all other crappy reality shows.
    I know, I always make sure I am sitting with a box of kleenex when I watch the show.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Quote Originally Posted by sukee
    I know, I always make sure I am sitting with a box of kleenex when I watch the show.
    I'm usually OK, but I think I went through half a box tonight. Very touching episode.

And can I just mention how incredibly handsome Eduardo is? My chin hits the floor everytime he's on screen. Some day they will air an episode that includes Paul, Preston, Eduardo and Ed, and then I can die happy.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

the episode was really good. i am so happy for those families. they deserved it.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    I was crying as usual. lol This show really tugs at the heartstrings. Qboots..Eduardo is HOT!
    I noticed when they were waiting to get into the limo to go on vacation the Mederios little boy didnt even have a coat and had his little arms in his shirt to stay warm.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

I only saw the 2nd hour of this. Am I correct that the duplex is only a loaner to these folks? Several times they talked about how "other families" would live there after these families "got back on their feet".

EDIT - Okay, read the above closer. Yup.
    They will pay a small rent until they can get back on their feet, and can stay in the duplex until they and Colorado Homeless Families, who will actually own the building, decide they are ready to move out. Then other families will move into the duplex, and this process will continue for years to come, so that this EM:HE project will ultimately touch many homeless families.
    Last edited by Krom; 02-14-2005 at 09:26 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Once again I cried like a baby. Next week will be the one where Ty gets rushed to the hospital with Appendicitis (sp?). Can't wait! Bring back Michael and Preston. I missed them last night.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I know that EM/HE has and did help both families out...HUGELY.. with the duplexes, but I was a lil dismayed to see that they weren't outright giving each of them those homes. I wish they had actually.
    So many times we've seen episodes where they've overdone the plasma tvs, paid mortgages off, gave a vehicle (or 2) to the family, started a business, funded a college degree (or 2), etc..etc...
    For these two families, they didn't even come close to any of that. "I thought, OK..no home, how about a car??" But they didn't.

I know, I know.. the families were homeless and they're happy with what WAS given to them..I just think that by what we've SEEN the show do for other families, they could have at least given something a lil more than what they did.

It was heartwarming, and regardless..I am glad that each family was chosen for the show. Something is definitely better than nothing.

ETA: I forgot to add.. I wonder how come they didn't give Rusty a job? Everyone else around got a job, but her.
    Last edited by Maveno; 02-15-2005 at 07:42 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast