+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EM: HE Harper Family preview

FORT Newbie

EM: HE Harper Family preview

Credit:www.tvrules.net

While design team leader Ty Pennington was preparing to film this episode in his hometown of Atlanta, he underwent surgery for a perforated appendix. Although he was still recuperating, the energetic and dedicated Pennington did not want to let the family down.

The episode incorporated his predicament into the show and captured how Ty was able to do his part from his hospital bed and, later in the week, to participate in the reveal for the Harper Family from the Atlanta suburb of Lake City, Georgia -- a family that had worked hard and sacrificed for all the right reasons, but still could not achieve their dream of providing a real home for their children.

In an episode airing Sunday, February 20 (8:00-9:00PM), the design team was able to turn the Harpers' living nightmare of a house into a dream home come true.

Several years ago, Patricia and Milton Harper lost their two-year-old son when he choked on his food. At the time, the family was living in the projects in Brooklyn, New York. Sadly, the paramedics couldn't get to the child in time to save his life.

Life for them in the projects was tough enough, but the tragedy of their son's death prompted the couple to work even harder and get their family out of there. After putting in long hours and saving up every penny they had, the Harpers packed up their kids and bought their first home, a 1400 square-foot, four-bedroom ranch house just outside Atlanta.

What these first-time homeowners didn't know was they had just bought a big dump -- literally. Unaware of any problems when they purchased the home, the Harpers soon found themselves knee-high in raw sewage! Every time it rained hard -- which was often -- their septic tank would back up and human waste actually flooded their suburban home. The Harpers have been living in and out of their minivan because of bacteria in the house, not to mention the horrible stench that has damaged their possessions. Their furniture, clothes and even their dreams have all been ruined. Recently their minivan was in an accident, so even that shelter was taken from them. They tried to fix up a couple of the rooms in their house to live in, but were dealt yet another blow when another rainstorm produced a gaping hole in the ceiling of one of those rooms.

Patricia and Milton -- who operates his own home security business -- want to create a stable home for their children, Darius, 17, LaVaughn, 15, and eight-year-old Mister, and to offer them a safe haven to come home to every day. Now, unlike their home, this family is completely drained, both emotionally and financially. The design team, Atlanta-based national homebuilder Beazer Homes and hundreds of workers and volunteers provide the Harpers with a clean and stable living environment. Comedian Jeff Foxworthy, who lives in Georgia, also came by to lend a helping hand. Meanwhile, the family went on vacation at Disneyland in Anaheim, California.

The design team for this episode of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" will feature team leader Ty Pennington, Paul DiMeo, Michael Moloney, Constance Ramos, Ed Sanders and Eduardo Xol. The series is produced by Endemol USA, a division of Endemol Holding. It's executive-produced by Tom Forman and co-executive produced by Denise Cramsey.
    Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Airs Sundays on ABC.

Harper Family - Behind the scenes

I moved this over to this thread since it was lost under Ty goes under the knife.

Harper Family -Atlanta GA - airs in March

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I attended the reveal for the Harper Family in Atlanta,GA this past sunday. It was well worth going to. If you have a chance to go to a taping in your area, by all means go to it. This deserving family got a really nice home. I am really looking forward to seeing the show in March when it airs. The part when the bus rolls away and the family sees the home is incredible. The family basically goes into shock when they see the home. I personally would of been speechless if it were me. These fortunate individuals got the largest home so far that the show has built. This house is around 5300 square feet. It is a truly remarkable house from what I can see from outside.

If you want to look at it : www.beazer.com

As far as knowing where the locations are and when they are filming. I dont know. I found out from our local news that they were filming but they would not disclose the location with the exception of the city. The city was small so I went there and was going to check with the fire dept, I didnt see any so I stopped at the next most logical place. You know that movie sets always need donuts so I stopped at Dunkin Donuts and they knew exactly where it was being filmed.

They try to set up parking for spectators nearby so you can walk to the location from there. They had shuttle buses going to the set on the day of the review to keep foot traffic down.

The set is open for you to stand behind the barricades which normally is just across the street. You can see plenty from the sidelines, the designers come out now and then and the crowd gets excited. Ty causes the most excitement whenever he comes out.

My take from the designers who were there:

Paul DiMeo is very good on camera but shys away from the crowd when on set. Very rarely does he interact off camera with the crowd. He appears shy, I think that he is just a more private person than the others.

Michael Moloney is the biggest ham out there. He comes out and greets the crowd. He works the crowd well. The two days I was there, he got lots of face time with the crowd.

Preston Sharp was not present for this episode. Too bad since I would of loved to see his exchanges with the crowd.

Constance Ramos seems to be a nice person. She is a very snazzy dresser, nice heels. Very attractive and personable from what I could tell.

Ed Sanders is also another ham on the set. Didnt get to see him too much but each time he was pretty funny. Seems like a nice guy.

Eduardo Xol was on this show and appears to be very approachable. He is new to the cast coming over from Trading Places- family edition and does well with the crowd. Seems a little overwhelmed with the crowd, but he looks as if he fits in well with the designers.

Ty Pennington is the biggest ham for sure. He was working the last 3 days even though he had surgery for his appendix earlier in the week. He really works the crowd. When he walks out the crowd goes wild. He appears to be a very personable and great individual from my observations of him. He seems like a very down to earth type of person.

The designers, crew, builders, Sears, all did an exceptional job making this deserving family a home that they will be proud to live in.

To All at Extreme Makeover -Home Edition, Keep up the great work and keep helping all those deserving families across America. Its great to see programming that is worth watching in this age of sensationalism and violence.

What a great house! These folks do such good work, and every house they build is something special. But if I could have any house they've done so far, this would be the one. And the youngest boy crying tears of joy made me cry too.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    What a great house! These folks do such good work, and every house they build is something special. But if I could have any house they've done so far, this would be the one. And the youngest boy crying tears of joy made me cry too.
    Yes, the kid made me cry last night too on How'd they do that
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

FORT Fan

EM:HE - WHY'd they do that?

This was another fantastic eipsode, the house was gorgeous! But why did they make this house so big for a 5-person family? I don't begrudge them this, it just seems to be waaaay excessive. That master suite is probably bigger than some apartments!

Remember when they did the house with the triplets? There were 7 people in that house, including Grandma. And EM:HE didn't have the foresight to come up with a better floor plan. It's great to have that nice nursery but what happens when the kids get bigger? 3 kids, one of whom is different gender, all in the same bedroom? It made for good tv but not really beneficial in the long run. I'm just saying... Although I guess as the show has become more successful they are able to make the homes bigger and even more extreme?

One more thing. We watched "how'd they do that" for the Harper family. Am I right in understanding the amount of money raised by Beazer homes?

$100,000 for college
    $100,000 for maintaining the household (mentioned in the Sun episode)
    $50,000 for charity

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappymom
    Although I guess as the show has become more successful they are able to make the homes bigger and even more extreme?
    I was thinking the same thing. Their budget is probably getting bigger as the show gets more popular, but it may also have to do with the size of the property. A lot of the homes they work on are on city streets where the yards are very small. This house seemed to be out in suburbia, with woods right behind their property. They weren't even connected to the city water supply. So maybe they had a lot more acreage. Also, part of what they built was office space for the dad.

I was wondering about the money too. They mentioned $100,000 on Sunday night's show, and it seemed like they mentioned a different $100,000 on Monday's show, as well as the $50,000. That's a lot of cash. Maybe it depends on which organizations they've recruited for each show.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappymom
    This was another fantastic eipsode, the house was gorgeous! But why did they make this house so big for a 5-person family? I don't begrudge them this, it just seems to be waaaay excessive. That master suite is probably bigger than some apartments!

Remember when they did the house with the triplets? There were 7 people in that house, including Grandma. And EM:HE didn't have the foresight to come up with a better floor plan. It's great to have that nice nursery but what happens when the kids get bigger? 3 kids, one of whom is different gender, all in the same bedroom? It made for good tv but not really beneficial in the long run. I'm just saying... Although I guess as the show has become more successful they are able to make the homes bigger and even more extreme?

One more thing. We watched "how'd they do that" for the Harper family. Am I right in understanding the amount of money raised by Beazer homes?

$100,000 for college
    $100,000 for maintaining the household (mentioned in the Sun episode)
    $50,000 for charity
    I think the master bedroom WAS bigger than my apartment
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

This is by far, my fave eppy ever! Esp. "How'd they do that"
    Ty Pennington is a HOTTIE!

Kelly Clarkson is my IDOL always & forever!

+ Reply to Thread