+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EM News: Crew Rebuilds Home for Couple with Sextuplets

EM News: Crew Rebuilds Home for Couple with Sextuplets

(From the Feb. 1 Birmingham News)

Big family goes big-time
    ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is building a new house for a Center Point family made famous two years ago by sextuplets
    Tuesday, February 01, 2005
    KATHY SEALE
    News staff writer

A Center Point family who made news 2Ĺ years ago with the birth of their sextuplets are about to become TV stars.

Producers for ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" told Chris and Diamond Harris on Monday they'd have a new home in one week. "Extreme Makeover" builds or renovates homes for deserving families.

ABC's cameras were rolling about 8 a.m. when Ty Pennington, the show's frenetic host, stood in front of the Harris home and bellowed into a bullhorn.

"Harris family, come on out!"

They didn't. So he bellowed again.

Then again.

After several minutes, Diamond Harris stepped outside into the cold rain, saw the cast and crew of the show, then jumped up and down and yelled. The Harrises had applied for the show, hoping for a larger house for their family, which includes Chris and Diamond, 9-year-old DeWayne and toddlers Kiera, Kalynne, Kaleb, Kobe, Kieran and Kyle.

The show's cast and crew, along with contractors and suppliers such as Signature Homes and Weyerhaeuser, plan to demolish the Harris home midweek and build a 5,000-square-foot, two-story house atop the existing home's foundation. The new home is scheduled for completion next Monday, the day the Harrises return from a weeklong, show-sponsored trip to Walt Disney World.

Early Monday, Chris Harris and the children streamed from the house to join Diamond Harris for the post-bullhorn celebration.

"Oh, my gosh, look at all the kids," Pennington said.

The family blamed their delayed reaction on a music session.

"They were in the kitchen singing `The Wheels on the Bus,' so they couldn't hear," said "Extreme Makeover" landscape designer Eduardo Xol.

A few neighbors braved the nasty weather when they heard Pennington's bullhorn. Some made it outside before the Harrises did.

"I came out to see what all the commotion was about," said Avis Peterson, clutching a coffee cup and an umbrella. The Harrises' street is closed during the filming, and ABC has given neighbors placards for entrance and exit into the area.

The Harrises periodically appeared in the yard before they headed to the airport in a black stretch limo. The family was instructed not to talk to the media Monday, but Chris Harris reacted to the question, "Where are you going?" by grinning and shrugging his shoulders.

The size of the Harris family determined the size of the house, which is one of the largest in the show's two-season history, said co-executive producer Denise Cramsey.

"It's an extreme family," she said.

Hurricane Ivan, which hurled a tree through the roof over the dining room, made the family's situation worse, Cramsey said. The Harrises patched the roof, but the dining room remained unusable.

"A house that was already too small got even smaller," Cramsey said.

Building the Harris home will be a 24-hour-a-day project, and the week's dreary weather forecast doesn't help, she said. "That'll be interesting for us, building in the cold and the rain."

But it's worth it, she said, every time they see the faces of a family whose life is made a little bit easier.

"I cry every time," Cramsey said.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Okay... I'm going to ignore the fact that they named one of the poor kids Kobe.

A 5000 square foot house? WOW, that'll be fun to see. The article doesn't say how large the current home is, but I'm willing to bet it's less than a third of the size of the new home. Very cool!

I want to see some footage of them trying to control 6 toddlers at Walt Disney World.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Kiera, Kalynne, Kaleb, Kobe, Kieran and Kyle.
    Why oh why couldn't they think of more distinct names for their kids? I wonder if they've come to regret that, or if they just fall back on calling everyone "hey, you!"
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Why oh why couldn't they think of more distinct names for their kids? I wonder if they've come to regret that, or if they just fall back on calling everyone "hey, you!"
    I hate it when parents name twins, triplets, quints, etc with either rhyming names or names that start with the same letter.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

I've seen the house! They're only about 2miles from my work. I went Friday night and again Sat morning. Friday night we got to see Paul and Micheal. They both took a picture with me and my kids and signed a dollar bill for my son. It was really neat. Ty wasn't there. So far we've heard he's in St. Louis or Dallas. Saturday morning Eduardo came out. I didn't know who he was. I haven't watched the show in about a month and I guess they replaced Preston with him. He was very good looking but I guess I wasn't the only one who didn't recognise him because not everyone rushed him like they did Paul and Micheal. Paul I was suprised was better looking in person.
    One of the security guards told me the reveal is tomorrow sometime between 1-4. I'm going to try and get there around 9. I hope to be somewhere near the front. Me and the kids are going to make a sign. I'm thinking of "Extreme home for an extreme family." and try to make the "extreme" like the shows logo. I'm not very artsy so I might have to just make it plain. Anyone else have any ideas? I want something that will catch their eye and might get us on tv. =)

+ Reply to Thread