+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Movin' Up with Doug on TLC

FORT Newbie

Movin' Up with Doug on TLC

Did anyone see this show? I wish they had shown more of the actual decorating/remodeling stuff and less of the people being mean to each other. Man, the woman who bought the first little house was quite a piece of work! She was really nasty and rude, with no reason. Good to see Doug in a new show though.

I caught this show last week. It was.. odd. That's the only word I can think of.

I like the premise of going back to see what new owners have done to 'your' house. But there wasn't much filler in the show. I'm not a Doug fan, but even so it was weird to see him just walking and talking and not doing much of anything.

I think they need to redo some of the format, make it more interesting, more active. Walking and talking is only interesting to a point.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I can't stand Doug on TS, so obnoxious, imo, so it was preferable to me to see him on a show where people weren't being saddled with his God-awful designs just because it amuses him to ruin people's rooms.

I thought the show was ok but I won't make a point of watching it, it just didn't interest me enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses
    I like the premise of going back to see what new owners have done to 'your' house. But there wasn't much filler in the show. I'm not a Doug fan, but even so it was weird to see him just walking and talking and not doing much of anything.
    I guess I started getting used to Doug doing a lot of walking and talking while watching the Ugliest Rooms series, so that didn't really bother me....although he does do SOMETHING atleast on there for the final room, it's an hour and a half of the b.s. stuff to get to it.

I guess I like this show cause I wonder sometimes how things are in places that I used to live and it sort of cures my curiousity by watching other people go through it. I'd rather see it done more in a long haul type situation though rather than them having just a few months and a big budget (but I know tvland needs a quicker turn around time so they have to do it this way). To me it would be more interesting to be able to wait out a year or so and really get a feel for what the new owners have done to your former home.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I'm not sure whether you guys get One Room Two Looks, but that just what this reminds me of. Only add, Doug. He doesn't seem to have a lot to say about the decorating thankfully. 50 grand on a kitchen ? Yeouch. This is the same couple that were too cheap to have the tiny little bathroom tiled properly

I thought 50 thou on the kitchen was a bit much. Honestly, to pay $10,000 for that professional stove. Are you really going to use it that much I don't think so. I do like the way they knocked out the wall and intergrated the family room. That will suit their lifestyle and that is what it is all about.

The couple going into the first home, I thought the girl was a bit but, $12,000 for the sleigh bed. Could have gotten just as good quality for $8,000 less. I did like what they did to the house but what did she contribute except spend alot of money. I did like the results but she comes across as very high maintenance.

I liked the second episode a little better, perphaps because couple 1 and 2 seemed to have good FIY skills and interesting interior design ideas. Why do people get so wrapped up in my idea of design is better then yours. The couple who did the condo. I liked their colors, I liked how they updated the kitchen and I thought the bamboo wall was a neat idea.

The second couple really did some interesting stuff with the colors etc... and the modern style, but when they sell that house they will have to repaint it to boring beige because not everyone will get it. See Designed to Sell (TLC Sundays) and Sell This House (on A&E Sundays).

The third couple I think was taken back, but in the sense that the inside of the house really did not match the exterior anymore, but they seemed overall to be the least upset about all the changes.

I wish they had shown some closer shots of that recycled glass counter and did anyone get the name of the product used in the fireplace, I would luv to check it out.

FORT Newbie
    The episode with the super-mod people was difficult to watch. Mitch and Martha? They were each so negative about what each other did to the apartments and the house. Only in DC would you pay that much for that house, though. : Or an apartment for that matter.

I like the premise of the show, but I do agree that I would like to see more of the actual work.

Min and Martha. I thought, though, that they were not terrible about what the other couple did to the apartment - it was the new apartment wife (architects) that really was nasty.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I've liked this so far..

Episode 1 - The People who redid the small house really did a good job (small wonder, he's a builder) but the fiancÚ was kind of a spoiled bia-otch. Overall the her taste was very masculine. I wasn't impressed by the family that moved up. For family that replaced the balustrade on the stairway because it "didn't go with the architecture", the $50,000.00 kitchen didn't go with it either. Arts and Crafts style cabinetry in a Victorian? It clashed in my eyes, but I'm sure they're happy with it and it added great value to the home.

Episode 2 - Min and Martha - ugh, all her taste is in her mouth. I LOVE Modern and Contemporary design, but I hated what they did to their condo and the house they moved up to. It was criminal to remove that mantel and replace it with that crappy waterfall and bluestone thing. while I like the glass countertops, they really should have resurfaced or replaced the cheap cabinets first. The young couple who moved in to the condo did an excellent job. The improvements to the kitchen were the best though. Martha's comment about the closet doors weren't without merit, but was kind of petty. I felt sorry for the people who left the house, they actually had it very nicely done before they left.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing
    Min and Martha. I thought, though, that they were not terrible about what the other couple did to the apartment - it was the new apartment wife (architects) that really was nasty.
    It was Minh and Martha. And what was really funny about the whole thing was when we learn that Minh is actually color blind.

I listened to this episode in the background since I usually have the tv on while I'm working, so as boring as I'm finding this new show to be, that color blind confession did catch my atttention.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast