+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Movin' Up with Doug on TLC

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Yeah, the young couple with the marble counter tops (properly sealed they really shouldn't have to worry over an egg) hadn't actually finished the living room and bed rooms. they had put more effort in to the kitchen, and the done the basics for the rest of the house. I liked what they had done and could see where they were going with it. I wasn't really that impressed with the dining room that they older couple did, it was too fussy for me.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I think that the original residents of the lake house today were so out of line about their reactions to what the doctor and his wife did to the house. Opening up the stairwell area actually is is very in keeping with a country house. Just because it wasn't swathed in in tacky country wallpapers and borders, doesn't make it city. They upgraded all the original base level finishes that were there. While it was sophisticated, it still looked like a country house to me. I also find the their story about the clogged chimney/fire suspect. If they have had the chimney cleaned once a year, especially if they had been using it to heat the house with a wood stove.

I don't fault the young couple at all for getting professional help, they actually did a lot of the major stuff on their own. The designers just gave them the finishing touches that they wanted. I do think it was sketchy that they let the designers stage/dress the rooms with items that they hadn't purchased yet.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

I watched that show too Chorita and while I wasn't crazy about everything they did with the lake house I thought the couple was over dramitic about their reaction and a bit weird about how they insisted everything should be country (excuse me a bright primary color room in every color isn't country)

I'm with you on the fireplace, they knew something was wrong with it but it should have been written in the contract that the wood stove would be out prior to the inspection or they would have to pay so much per day until it was out. The other couple however should not have started gutting the house until the family moved out. Unless the family was dragging their feet on the moving out date and refused to pay extra to stay past.

I guess the thing that bothers me about this show is how insulting people are about other's people's tastes and how over the top some people are about their own likes. I guess I realise I like things that other people might not and I'm not insulted if they don't care for something I do.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

The whole start busting the house up and moving at the same time was poor planning a simple phone call could have resolved. Didn't the lake couple insist at the beginning of the show that they used that stove all the time but when questioned on it backed out of that. Besides if you use a wood burining fireplace and I suspect this also applies to wood buring stoves that are attached to a chimney you are supposed to have it professionally cleaned once a yr. Some of the most common sources of home fires in the winter are in chimney flues or wood stove pipes because of cresote build up; and I got that from occasionally watching the local news. Duh!!!

Personally, I liked what the doctor and his wife did to the lake house. It reminded me of a Better Homes and Gardens magazine layout. They simply updated the color scheme and fixtures and materials. I saw a lot of 80's in the house. I loved the foyer/lobby. I am amazed that they were able to open it up so much but the grey/silver walls and white banister looked fabulous. Modern without being too contemporary. The bathroom looked great, especially that shower and all the jets. Hope he has the water pressure to enjoy it all.
    Is this all the couple that but in a continent in their kitchen??? Cause that island was too big but I liked the cabinents and the other finishes.

Caonsidering how much demo the older couple did I was surprised how much they disliked what was changed in their home.

As far as the young couple goes, she being a teacher and he a what??? how could they afford so much renovation and new furniture. They have to be in debt. Unless they have an interest only loan on their house although, that was a big house for only $275,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata
    As far as the young couple goes, she being a teacher and he a what??? how could they afford so much renovation and new furniture. They have to be in debt. Unless they have an interest only loan on their house although, that was a big house for only $275,000.
    I just got to watch that episode and it would appear that they probably rented a lot of the furniture right along with the artwork. There was just too much of it.

I loved how their house turned out and I think they should have taken more credit for some of the vision. While the actual furnishings weren't their idea, the knocking down of the walls and opening up the spaces WAS. I loved the opening between the living and family rooms with the pillars... very majestic and pretty.

And I liked the second house as well. As much as I disliked the wife and her incessant giggling (and if I heard the term "Man Beast" one more time I was going to freak), I loved the results of their demolition. The foyer was gorgeous (would have picked a better chandelier) and I loved the bathroom. I'd duplicate that bathroom if I could right down to the tile on the floor. It's very much my coloring.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

11/05 episode

All 3 couples live in New Jersey, all are young, with small kids. @ of the couples were teddy bear fat and dressed so sloppily in oversized XXXL tshirts, that all I could think of is that is the result of living on supersize Mickey D's. It is embarassing that is what the average American couple is showing to the world.

The 2 fatty couples were the worse as far as critisizing what the previous owners had done and were pretty nasty during the visits as far as the other couples taste.

Gene and his Honduran wife did a great job with their house because she has great taste. He demos well. I do worry about their son Gene Jr and dad's obssession with him being a baseball player. I can see dad pushing and pushing and the kid burning out at 12 and never playing the game again. What also surprised me is that this couple and the couple that they bought the house from used the same color green, or close to it, in the kitchens and dining rooms, and both did some demo in the kitchen but the second couple big mouth Roxannd and her hubby Jim (??) really critisized the Gene and his wife. Sorta of the pot vs kettle.

I liked this episode because the couples were bitchy without being too bitchy.

Hmmm... I felt the exact opposite. I thought the wife that had had gastric bypass surgery was a complete and utter bitch. Didn't like her at all. And I couldn't stand Gene as he was your stereotypical sexist Italian pig. He didn't want to do any work moving and thought it was funny that he made his Honduran wife do everything (and she did a beautiful job!!) All I could think of was that it was no big surprise that married someone from out of the country, as no one here would have settled for his lazy butt.

And was the fact that these people were overweight really that important?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

The fact they were overweight was maybe not that important but just reflectected their nasty and lazy personalities. Also they way they critizied each other styles, they should take a good long look in the mirror and realize they have no dress style at all.

Was this the show with the shark bedroom? I liked the shark mural. That was very cool.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    Was this the show with the shark bedroom? I liked the shark mural. That was very cool.
    Yes

+ Reply to Thread