+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Movin' Up with Doug on TLC

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I thought it was strange that the 80s couple criticised the choice of wood cabinetry that the couple used in the synagogue, it was the same that their new bedroom set was made from. I also have to state it again, they chose furniture that was too large of scale for the rooms they have. Not just the bedroom, but the living room. That is partly why they had such bad furniture placement.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

3/12 new episode

Well, Doug is at it again. These couples must really be prepared because here they are being given 6 weeks after they move in to redo rooms. Both couples redid their basements. One put in a bar and a nautical theme and the other put in a home theatre downstairs, with new carpeting, Tiered seating with 6 leather recliners, 3 on each tier, with there own cup holders, a popcorn machine, a bar and a remote control pull down screen. Also the home theatre people enlarged the downstairs bathroom and installed a bath with a rainshower head and various other shower heads , coverd the bathroom in slate and installed new kitchen appliances, and new stone countertop. That is a lot of work. This couple did save a piece of drywall with some faux painting and had it framed and gave it to the previous owner. That was nice. This is the nicest I have ever seen Doug be. I sorta envy that this folks have the money and relatives to help with these changes, they don't realize how lucky they are.

The first younger couple really annoyed me because the wife always wanted to match the drinking glasses to the furniture. She made her husband carry a leather ottoman into a store to get the right colour of brown so the glasses match the leather. That is ridiculous and who ever heard of matching the glass colour to the furniture. Her Kitchen chairs have a grape motif painted on them and she also has matching glasses for that. UGH!

FORT Fan
    Good point, Bercata. I've lived in my current home for over two years and am still trying to decide what color to paint all the walls!

I agree that Miss Matchy-Matchy was simply beyond. (Can you say anal retentive?) How convenient that the husband is happy to let her make all the decorating decisions.

I also wonder if anyone at the pet store bothered to tell them that it's stressful on the fish to add more than one at a time? Wonder how many of those original fish are still alive?

Did you hear her say she liked to dress her husband up in purple to match the room as well?
    whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by OedipalPanties
    Did you hear her say she liked to dress her husband up in purple to match the room as well?
    Yeah, that was a bit much. All I could think of is if he sat on the couch all you would see is this head floating there.

3/19 episode

Another new episode. My comments will focus on the middle couple. What really surprised me in the first house they had a very yucky country style and the house they moved into the wife switched to a much more transitional style but was very nice. I think she did a very nice job on the living/family room, the girls bedroom and the other childrens room. She did not take some comments from the previous owner well. I don't think she should have been insulted it was a compliment. But when they went to their old house this is were the ugly comments arose. The young couple that bought the middle couples house had a limited budget and what they did in the living room was remarkable as far as taking down old wooden panelling, having to put in a steel beam because there had been a structural problem with an upstairs bedroom addition, It had not been supported correctly, therefore causing a crack in the living room ceiling, therefore resulting in someone putting tile on the ceiling to cover the crack. The middle couple especially made a lot of nasty cracks about the kitchen especially the husband. All the younger couple could do was sand and repaint the cabinets because they were butt ugly. The paint was a big improvment. But the middle couple husband couldn't say anything but that it looked bad. Believe me the way they(middle couple) left the kitchen, it looked bad. Maybe the husband was embarassed that they kitchen hadn't been gutted and he had to still see it.

I'm drawing a blank at the middle couple's visit back to their old house. It must have gone completely by me... but I'm not surprised that the woman was nasty about it. *sigh*

I loved their change to their new living room. Cutting into the garage and extending the size of the living room was absolutely beautiful. And I gather that she really likes the color purple... it was everywhere. Heh. I, too, was a little annoyed that she took the previous owner's comment that she must have hired a designer as an insult. That is an incredible compliment, as the way the comment was made didn't appear to be snarky or derogatory towards the new owner's ability.

And the young couple's house looked gorgeous... loved the bedroom.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey
    I have only seen 3 episodes and I like it, probably because it is a different concept in the sea of decorating shows. It needs some tweeking and I am at a loss as to how. It lacks substance though.

It is disappointing to see that no one seems to decorate their new homes with much skill. I think they need Dougs helping hand in, at least, arranging furniture.

I am assuming the show hires some carpenters or whoever may be needed to help them make their 6 week deadline. Unless the homeowners are skilled and can take time off work some of these renovations just cannot be done in this amount of time. If not this, how are they compensated? Moving expenses? Money? I would be curious to know.

These owners have some extra money from selling their previous homes and they use that budget to remodel or they took out a larger mortgage and are using the difference to pay for the remodel, or they have a home loan. There are various ways to do it. Some obviously have contractors all set to come in and start, epescially on one of the earlier kitchen remodels. It can take 4 to 8 wks to have cabinets built or ordered etc... (or longer). IF you order form Europe you have to take into consideration that most of Europe shuts down and is on vacation for the entire month of August. They have to have everything planned and ready to go else nothing would get done in that 6 or 8 week time frame.

Another new show. Couple 1. Sergy and his wife and duaghter move from a rental to another rental that is an option to buy place and bigger than their previous apartment.

Couple 2 Kevin and wife and baby move from the 2 bedroom apartment to Maplewood and buy a four bedroom Victorian. The downstairs had been used as a dentists office for the last 13 yrs.

Couple 3. The dentist, wife and 2 kids moved to Florida.

Couple 3 had everything upstairs in pink wallpaper that they got from London to set the tone of their Victorian home. What I don't get is that half the rooms looked as if the wallpaper was peeling down the walls. They also had genuine knotty pine paneled basement with wet bar that was their lounge and hang out place. The wife commented that she had to decorate differently in Florida because the feel was different there.

Couple 1 was from Russia and had a very interesting sense of humour. I was just waiting to see there decorating because it sounded over the top and not very tasteful.

Actually the living room was done nicely in sage and in scale leather couches and entertainment set. That is what impressed me is that they got the furniture in scale with the room. Most people buy furniture that is too large for the space.

The bathroom had a pink tub and the mom decided to do everything pink. Painted the walls pink, got a toilet seat, waste basket, toilet brush set and tumblers and glass all in molded pink plastic and set with seashells. Way over the top.

The mom and dad ended up exchanging rooms with the daughter and she got the master bedroom, and she had a lot of stuff, but everyone commented how sophisticated the colors and drapes were for a 14 yr old.

Mom and Dad got the nursery and kept the wall paper border that had a jungle theme. They painted the walls from the chair rail up lavender. The wallpaper had a bright yellow background and African animals such as lions, girrafes, zebras and gorillas on it. They got a new bedroom set in a maple and went with a jungle theme with the bed linens.The bed cover was a leopard print and so were the pillows. They even had a stuffed King Louie orangutuan from the Jungle Book.

Couple 2 did not get everything done due to permit problems and that their contractor kept dissappearing. The basement was eventually drywalled because the knotty pine panelling absorded to much paint and the coverage sucked. it was painted a nice gold and would eventually look good especially when they get rid of the yucky drop ceiling.

They were able to partially gut the ground floor, because they wanted a great room wbut that was a work in progress.

The Master bedroom was finished. It was a nice desert taupe, Nice green drapery, black framed floor mirror and comtemporary bed furniture. Doug was impressed and said this was a room he could have done. The nursery had been converted to master bedroom dressing room / walk in closet and a closet company came in and did it and it looked nice.

There were the usual comments from the couples coming back to see there homes but all went well. What was sad was Sergey the father from the first couple had passed away and at the end of this episode there was a dedication to him.

+ Reply to Thread