+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Movin' Up with Doug on TLC

Re: Movin' Up with Doug on TLC

re: lottery winners

They did a nice job making a show home, BUT did you notice that from outside living room the view to the pool is totally cut off. You would think they would have made the pool visible from that room/deck. Major mistake in my opinion.
    If your not the lead dog the scenery never changes

The lottery winners certainly didn't use their money wisely, I thought. And the wife didn't want to move. I mean why did they have to do everything all at once if they were going over-budget? I didn't like the wife's personality, much, either. I didnt' know how much they won, but when I heard it was "only" a million, I was surprised they sunk it all (and more) into a house that needed so much fixing up?

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;3034216;
    The lottery winners certainly didn't use their money wisely, I thought. And the wife didn't want to move. I mean why did they have to do everything all at once if they were going over-budget? I didn't like the wife's personality, much, either. I didnt' know how much they won, but when I heard it was "only" a million, I was surprised they sunk it all (and more) into a house that needed so much fixing up?
    I was having heart palpatations watching them blow all of their lottery winnings on that house!!! I think they're really going to regret their decision, if they don't already!

Of course, I'm also the one who's always yelling "take the deal" on the first bank offer (Deal or No Deal)

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lvmykds;3034235;
    I was having heart palpatations watching them blow all of their lottery winnings on that house!!! I think they're really going to regret their decision, if they don't already!
    i agree! i hope they have enough equity in their present home, or they will be in big trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;3034216;
    They won about a million dollars. The husband said he had $607,000 from the lottery. That is what is left of a million dollars after the IRS and state tax bureaus get their share.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;3034373;
    i agree! i hope they have enough equity in their present home, or they will be in big trouble.
    I figure they took all the equity from their old home about $245,000 plus the lottery winnings of $607,000 and still managed to go over budget. That is really scary that they didn't think about it before they bought the new house. They fact they have 2 kids and didn't put about college funds for them and a retirement fund for themselves. They could still have taken $300,000 from the lottery winnings plus what they got for their home bought a larger house and paid in full and then take out a home equity loan for say $100,000 and done several big improvements over a period of yrs. To win that much money, spend it in a 3 month period and end up in debt is very, very sad (and extremely stupid).

And after all of that, the wife still never got her hot tub!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3035108;
    And after all of that, the wife still never got her hot tub!
    Oh and let's not forget her other dig about how they now have a gourmet kitchen but not enough money to fill the pantry or frig. Poor dumb hubby he is going to hear it for a while. He is also going to hear it from his co-workers. She on the other hand can ride on the sympathy she will recieve from a lot of wives and others about how dumb husbands are and how they blow golden financial opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3034604;
    They won about a million dollars. The husband said he had $607,000 from the lottery. That is what is left of a million dollars after the IRS and state tax bureaus get their share.
    Oh, I understood that. I meant I missed the part where he said how much he won when it was on TV. I only read the amount in this thread. (I usually assume taxes on a million would be about 40 percent)

So the wife had no say at all? How she was portrayed on the show, I have a hard time believing that she just wrung her hands while hubby made all the decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;3037285;
    Oh, I understood that. I meant I missed the part where he said how much he won when it was on TV. I only read the amount in this thread. (I usually assume taxes on a million would be about 40 percent)

So the wife had no say at all? How she was portrayed on the show, I have a hard time believing that she just wrung her hands while hubby made all the decisions.
    I watched the show twice. Hubby never really said what was the total amount of the winnings just what he actually got. I just did the math and assumed he won close to a million. On Survivor, they are always saying the million dollars after Uncle Sam gets through with it is $665,000 and that is before you pay state income taxes on it.

+ Reply to Thread