+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Movin' Up with Doug on TLC

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2256819;
    A lot of people collect blue patterned china, such as willow pattern for display as much, if not more so, than for eating off.
    A patterned plate with some blue is very different from a solid blue plate.
    One of the first things I learned in college when I studied for my degree in interior design is that dark blue, or any blue for that matter, is not the best colour for dining rooms and it's use on a large scale should be avoided.
    Thanks much.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Well I will admit that my favorite color is blue. My good china is white with blue roses and my everyday Corelle is white with blue and green, but that much blue is off putting.

My dining room is cream with pink and green accents and my kitchen is green and white. The only room that I have that has alot of blue is my bedroom and even that is different shades of blue broken up with yellow and white.

I think solid blue walls, especially dark blue is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by catmom3;2256955;
    Well I will admit that my favorite color is blue. My good china is white with blue roses and my everyday Corelle is white with blue and green, but that much blue is off putting.

My dining room is cream with pink and green accents and my kitchen is green and white. The only room that I have that has alot of blue is my bedroom and even that is different shades of blue broken up with yellow and white.

I think solid blue walls, especially dark blue is just wrong.
    Thing is this is the second dining room on this series done in that dark blue. If memory serves the couple that bought the house painted the room red. Or it was red and the new couple painted it blue, mmmm, the mind is going.

I used to never like really instense colors in a room cause a little can go along way, until I watched the original Avenger series with Steed and Emma Peel, and The Saint with Roger Moore. The sets were of old British houses in London and they had brilliant reds and blues and yellows but the brilliant white baseboards, crown molding, ceiling and pilasters helped to break up the colors and they looked quite nice. You can make a room any color but you need to know how to balance it and that is the whole problem with D'manda's dining room. It has no balance. She needed Doug's professional advice. Too bad he did not give it. On the other hand would she have taken it?

3/3/07 Apex, North Carolina

Only Doug could find 2 Chrissie's and 2 Chris's and put them together in a show. It can get confusing except for the spelling of the names.

Couple 1: Chrissy and Marc, married, both work in a bank, with an 8 month old daughter Ava. Style wild and creative. Moving from and apartment to a townhouse bought for $140,000 (great price by the way) from:

Couple 2: Kristi and Chris. Both work, she's a social worker and he is an analyst. Style: More traditional. I think they are afraid of color or being too wild and crazy. This is their first house. He bought it 3 yrs ago and then proposed to her. They have a dog and they want a bigger space for the dog. They bought a house with a real big back yard for $268,000 (again a great bargain, nice big house with a deck and huge fenced in backyard) from:

Couple 3: Kim and Chris. She is a stay at home mom and he is a sales rep. They have been in the house for 8 yrs and they are moving because of a great job opportunity for him. The day they were to move their hot water heater broke and leaked throught the ceiling. Now the hot water heater is in the attic. Why? Is this a North Carolina thing. Mind have always been in the basement. They had to fix it and the drywall cause the house is still theirs. Not quite sure who would have been responsible if this happened during the moving in of the new owners. Oh, of course it happened on a Sunday. Finding a plumber on a Sunday is always fun.

In 3 months the couples did what?

Chrissy and Marc paint the living room and dining room a peach color and turn the dining room into a workspace for her to do her sewing and him to paint. They put a graphic of orange and blue on the walls. They paint the master bedroom bright red (use primer first folks) and then stenciled on a bible saying in french on the walls. They also put up panels white sheer panels as window treatments. They also put up a white wooden curtain rail the length of the wall where the bed was and at 3 foot intervals hung more sheer panels. It was a nice effect. I also liked the stenciling but would have located it elsewhere the placement looked off. They used the same bed and bedding as their previous home. They also painted the spare room pink and Marc painted some graphics and made it the nursery. I like the graphics. Not too much and Marc got to be creative. Overall the couple painted 4 rooms in 3 months. Put graphics up in 2 of the rooms. A stenciled phrase in another and did buy a new couch for the living room. The just used the same furniture they had and they already had some nice modern pieces. So it was not too big a transformation.

Kristi and Chris removed the wallpaper in the dining room and painted it bright red above the chairrail. They added molding below the chair rail and apainted it all white to look like wainscoatind. Looked nice and balanced the red so it would not over power the room. They updated the chandelier. Although I was ready to hit Kristi for the whinning she was doing just holding the chandelier. I hated the window treatment. Simple gold sheer panels draped like the previous owners with a length of fabric draped from the top. So done. The color was wrong, it was too dark. Hated the draping. Let it just hang free and it would have looked so much better. While i liked the color I don't think it was the right color to go with her grandparents cherry or mahogany dining set. Too much red? It would have looked better with an all black or all white dining set. They redid the nursery to a pale green and yellow and added a chairrail. It was OK. Oh, Kristi found out she was pregnant. They was a playroom that they also painted and added a window seat to. Chris did a great job of it. The walls were a pale greyish blue and had dark brown window panels and leather furniture. This room was nice. What I really liked was what they did in the backyard. Ther previous owner hoped they would not change anything but it was a huge backyard and the grass so sucked. It was pretty obvious that they had done very little to improve the grass after 8yrs or they just did not know what to do. I liked that Kristi and Chris added a brick patio off the deck and had the entire backyard resodded. They also had the one side landscaped and added either hollies or leyland cypress as a privacy screen. They also had a tree put near the deck and some kind of border also put on the other side of the yard and near the one pine tree in the corner of their proprety.

I was not exactly overwhelmed with the changes. Basically paint. I did like what Kristi and Chris had done in the backyard that really added to the value of the property. Otherwise not too exciting and no big fights.

I definitely go more for the style that Chrissy and Marc created in their home. Not necessarily a fan of the graphic in the new work area, but I loved the entire look of their daughter's room It was fun and creative without being full on "kid room".

Honestly without the drama that is in some of the other episodes I pretty much zoned out for the entire show until they did the reveals Bring back some more spoiled brats and bickering couples!

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022;2265580;
    I definitely go more for the style that Chrissy and Marc created in their home. Not necessarily a fan of the graphic in the new work area, but I loved the entire look of their daughter's room It was fun and creative without being full on "kid room".

Honestly without the drama that is in some of the other episodes I pretty much zoned out for the entire show until they did the reveals Bring back some more spoiled brats and bickering couples!
    Either add drama or at least show us doing something besides painting walls. Its almost as bad as watching the paint dry.

2 new episodes on 2 nite -3/10/07

Wow, Moving Up must be doing well, TLC is showing 2 brand new episodes tonight.

Wow, cool. Is there no Trading Spaces tonight and they're adding filler?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I wasn't keen on Chrissy and Marc's makeover.
    The peachy colour they chose does not appeal to me at all and I didn't enjoy the randomness of the child's room.
    There was a little too much going on in there for my liking, but I imagine their daughter loves it and finds it a stimulating environment.
    I like that they experimented though. As I always say, it's only paint.
    It takes a few dollars and couple of days to erase any paint jobs you find you can't live with.

3/10/07 show 1

Back in New Jersey

Couple1: Nancy a teacher, recently divorce with 3 boys. Have out grown their 2 bedroom condo and are buying a house for $290,000 from:

Couple2: Melanie and Mark. Married for 6 months. She is a widow with 3 girls and he is divorced with 2 kids. They need more space and they are buying a larger house for $300,000 from:

Couple3: Ruth, is retired and her family is grown and she wants to downsize. Ruth was really cute and sharp. She got all of Doug's witticisms.

I like Nancy, is was strong and very capable and she didn't let things get to her. Still I thought her two older boys, who were taller than Doug should have helped more. At least they can paint the rooms, and do cleanup. That is not that hard.

Nancy totally redid the kitchen, and added a ceiling to the basement and recessed lighting and added a bedroom for one of the boys also in the basement, also new carpeting. I think the house originally only had 3 bedrooms. That make sense. I also hope there was a bathroom in the basement or that one was added. That is convenient and adds value to the property. The upstairs bedroom, at least the nursery was repainted blue and a new carpet added.

I liked the kitchen it was a really nice update without going overboard. The room already had hardwood floors and she added solid wood cherry cabinets, a nice tumbled travetine tile as a backsplash and a beige solid surface countertop and of course stainless steel appliance. Why did this kitchen work so well. Textures and color. The wood floors were a medium golden brown with a grain that complemented the dark cherry cabinents but were not matchy matchy. The texture and size of the backsplash contrasted well with the texture of the counters. It was very well done. I liked the color of the living room and it was a chance for Nancy to get some new furniture and express her new start in life. As for Scott's bedroom it was a boys bedroom and I am surprised he allowed his mom to put in a yellow bedspread. Still I felt that if you are what over 12 you can handle a paint brush and paint your own bedroom.

Melanie and Mark. I get the impression that Melanie was so close to the edge of breaking down. What in the world was she so mad about that her newly wed hubby was sleeping on the couch after installing new hardwood floors in the living room, dining room and family/Florida room, building a wall in the florida room, and covering the wood paneling in the master bedroom, putting in a new vinyl floor in the kids bathroom and painting some of the said rooms. All this in 2 months, taking a week off to do, trying to solve the foundation problems in the florida room, which by the way were never explained. She painted the living and dining room with her girlfriend and removed the wallpaper in the kids bathroom and painted it and was unhappy with her husband. What was up with that??? Still I liked the darker cocoa color of the Florida room, the lighter coffee color of the living and dining room reminded me too much of the previous house and what worked in the old house does not necessarily work in the new house.

I was not that sympathetic to her crying after she went to see her old house and all the kids heights and ages were painted over. She wanted to save that. But said she did not have time. If it was that bloody important make time. Either remove the drywall. Or take a photo and/or write it down, how old and what height. That would take all of 15 minutes. Still it seemed that marriage was in trouble and I blame Melanie. Too bad hope it works out. Can Doug kick her in the pants???

+ Reply to Thread