+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Movin' Up with Doug on TLC

I really advise clients not to recess their tv's, unless they already have a tv niche as it can limit your options for furniture placement.
    Of course if the dimensions of your room coupled with the furniture you have dictate a certain layout this isn't a problem, but where the elements allow for more flexibility it seems a shame to tie yourself to a specific layout.
    TV's above the fireplace look great when you're standing up, but are generally placed too high to be in a comfortable viewing position when you're seated (obviously this depends on the size of the room).
    Recessed tv's are a great theory that I think often disappoints in practice.

2/10/07 - back in Pennsylvania

WE are back in PA. 2 of the couples have only 2 months to do some renovations in their new homes.

Couple 1: Kim and Mark. I must admit I drooled over Kim's arms the entrie show. The couple lifts weights and it shows. Kim works for a college and Mark owns his own construction business. They are both divorced and are engaged and are buying a new house to blend their 4 kids together. They are buying a 6 bedroom house for $650,000 from Gail.

Couple 2: Gail and Connie. Gail and Connie are best friends and work together as realtors. Gail has 5 kids, although 2 have moved out and a third is ready to leave. She is finding the house to big to handle and wants to downsize. Her best friend Connie will be helping her redecorate. Gail is buying a 3 bedroom house for $350,000 from Sandy.

Couple 3: Sandy and her daughters. Sandy is a stay at home mom and is living in her parents house that her dad had custom built 30 yrs ago and it has the original orange shag carpet in the master bedroom. The original orange laminate counters in the kitchen , with a harvest gold stove. Sandy thinks it all great and her dad changed nothing, and she doesn't think the new owners have to change anything, that it is great as it is. Huh, 30 yr old shag carpet is fine.

Kim and Mark, basically put hardwood floors in the living room and paint over the chair rail a dark brick red. Simple very different from the 80's mirrors and black leather that Gail perferred. Next the family room in the basement get a new laminate floor and has the walls painted purple and lime green. It looks refreshed and more open then before. The big renovations were outside were the previous owner had left a lot of tree stumps that needed to be removed. They put in a black iron wrought fence around the pool and had a landscaping company put in a nice stone patio and walkway from the patio to the pool and added some plantings. They just didn't have time in the two months alloted as they were doing a major reno on the master bathroom. The gutted the bathroom added a skylight and a window next to the bathroom. The put in a nice spa tub, put in new huge vanity and built in closets. This project caused the most problems with the couple as he is experienced and she is not and ther were structural problems.

I wasn't all that impressed with the living room as it is a matter of taste as far as the decorating. The hardwood floor is an improvement. The basement family room is definitely an improvement. The colors were refreshing and floor made the place look larger. I thought they really added value to the home by adding a huge stone patio and walkway to the backyard. The backyard was huge so it good take the hardscape. The bathroom looked much better as it was upped dated to a luxury spa bathroom. It was a big bathroom so could take the improvements that were made. What really surprised me was Gail, the real estate agents, reaction. She didn't like any of it. She acted as if they had destroyed the house. Her comments about the backyard were as bad. She is a professional and I thought her reactions were immature and unprofessional.

On the other hand how Gail and Connie got anything done was a miracle. They had to hire a contractor and the man deserved a bonus for putting up with these two woman. Talk about non communication. They put hardwood floor in the living and family rooms. In the family room they ladies put up a chair rail and painted the upper half an off white/ivory. Initially they were going to tear the faux paneling down but this was a creative inexpensive alternate. The kitchen was gutted. Dark cabinets were put up. Chocolate brown paint on the walls. A grey and black tile floor and backsplash. With white, grey, black speckled granite counters. It was dark, on dark, on dark. Way too dark. Individually they were nice peices. I liked the tile. But between the chocolate paint wall, dark brown cabinets, grey tile it was really hard to see anything. I did not like this kitchen. This was a 30 yr old kitchen and it needed updating, too bad it was not done right. There was a blue bathroom room that was redone with some nice tile, new bath, new toilet and new pedestal sink. It was a nice large bathroom but were was the storage. There are two teenagers using this bathroom and were do you put all the makeup and hair products. The master suite had a new hardwood floor installed, new window treatmens and very large scale furniture. I hope that Gail installed AC and took out that old window unit.

Again it was the previous owners reaction that surprised me. They hated everything. The orange shag carpet and kitchen finishes were over 30 yrs old they were butt ugly and had to go. That they felt the new owners taste was bad is questionable. I didn't like many of Gail's choices or that way she treated her friend, Connie or her opinions of what Kim and Mark did to her old house, totally out of line for someone in the 'industry'.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Ingrid in today's episode was such a princess, with no concept of reality. If I was her contractor, I would have walked off the job.

A sponge painted man-cave? A pub green kitchen (to match the basket liners). Neither couple did a great job, but Arez and Ingrid's was better put together, even with the saturated color scheme.
    Last edited by Chorita KaBoom; 02-17-2007 at 10:23 PM.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom;2245660;
    Ingrid in today's episode was such a princess, with no concept of reality. If I was her contractor, I would have walked off the job.

A sponge painted man-cave? A pub green kitchen (to match the basket liners). Neither couple did a great job, but Arez and Ingrid's was better put together, even with the saturated color scheme.
    Dang, Chorita KaBoom you beat me to posting. Anyway I thought Ingrid was a Spoiled Jewish Princess. Who asks a contractor to hold your baby when he is trying to build a gutted kitchen. Asking him to pick up tile and it was a 4 hour trip (both ways?) and offering only was is $20 or $50. That would barely cover the cost of gas. Please you have to pay the man for his time. If the tiles are so important you go pick them up. I have seen woman in various stages of pregnancy do wonders on this show. Ingrid came across as lazy. Still if her parents are that rich hire a sitter and a nanny for 2 months, get some sleep and fix your house. BIG DUH!

Anyway we are back in New Jersey.

Couple 1. Ingrid and Erez. Stay at home mom with a newborn and Hubby is a physical therapist. Moved from Israel and are staying in mommy and daddy's mansion. My jaw dropped when I saw that house. They bought a $300,000 bungalow from:

Couple 2. Janet and boyfriend Tim. She is a programmer and he is in law Enforcement. Both came off bad divorces 7 yrs ago when they met. They have a country cottage style and she collects baskets. Hint when you move is a good time to let go of old stuff and start fresh. (Ditch the baskets its not as it they were works of art). They are moving into a colonial that they bought from Tim, a corporate pilot, for $450,000. Tim surprised me in his decorating style as he used a lot of wallpaper for a guy.

Ingird and Erez turned their house into Moroccan, Indian influenced sanctuary. The kitchen was nice as they balance the dark cabinets with midtoned tile for the back splash and a light colored quartz for the countertops. Several of the prevous kitchens done in the last several episodes have not taken into account that you need to vary textures and scale and color to make a kitchen look interesting instead of an expensive mess. I like how they put in hardwood floors upstairs but again this is New Jersey and it gets cold in the winter and we may see the carpet get back. As for blowing a downstairs wall and getting rid of a bedroom and converting it to a dining room. mmmmmm. if they turned a 4 bedroom into a 3 bedroom they can get away with it. If they turned a 3 bedroom into a 2 bedroom they may limit the people who will buy it when they decide to upgrade. Still they upgraded the kitchen and improved the upstairs for a single person of just a young couple it is a good starter home.

I loved Janet and Tim they worked together so well and with her son, Jack. It was amazing I truly enjoyed watching them. Still some of their decorating choices were interesting. The blue master bedroom was a disaster. It looked horrible, an after thought. Yuck! The man cave was OK, I don't think I particularly liked the color choice of the faux painting but I was impressed that Tim chose to do it. The most successful rooms were the living room and the kitchen. I do have to applaud that this couple did 4 rooms in 2 months and they did most of the work themselves. Hear that Ingrid. The living room was a total transformation and it was nice to see Janet get away from the country kitch. It loved the color of the walls. The tin ceiling tiles were an interesting touch. She made it her room. The kitchen was nice. Like the floor. The new cabinents were OK. The forest green color I didn't. It remained of that horrid blue in the master bedroom. Get rid of it. It you want to go green OK. Just another tone. I just thought as far as decorating they had one hit as far as the living room, a miss with the master bedroom, a partial miss with the man cave and a definite miss with the kitchen walls. Still the house looked better with out all that wall paper.

2/24/07

Back in New Jersey

Couple 1: Amanda (aka D'manda) and Brian or was that Mark. She is in marketing and he is an analyst. They are engaged and live in his one bedroom condo. Are moving to get more space for their dog Murphy. Buying a 4 bdrm house for $448,000 from

Couple 2: Lynn and Brian. She owns her own Travel Agency and he is a production line manager. Both divorced and this will be their second marriage. He has had this house for 8 yrs and she moved in a year ago. That explains the white walls. The are moving to be closer to his son Freddie, he's 11 going on 35. They bought their new home for $615,000 from

Couple 3: Josephine and Tom. Married for 22 yrs are in the restaurent business. Have 3 teenagers and a baby on the way. Nice furniture a little fancy/formal. Claim they like modern, clean simple lines. Well, their living room is light beige. Beige walls, light wood floors, beige carpet, beige furniture. If they were going for monocramatic they forgot texture and layers. It is one big beige blah.

Let me say that I didn't like D'manda. I hate woman who are in a 2month renovation project and all they do is bitch and nag their partner and do nothing. Lynn had a similiar I am in charge personality as D'manda but I liked her. Out of the two couples Lynn and Brian were the most successful with their remodel. Lynn's theme was British Colonial and she went with it in the living room, the dining room, master bedroom. The deck was a separate issue. The couple did add valuable living space to their house, the spa was a nice touch and so was the awning. Going back to the BC theme. It was successfull cause Lynn had dark, midtone and light colors. Nothing was drab, nothing was too big scale. The rooms could take the size fo the furniture. In 2 months they put in a huge deck, spa and awnings. They put in hardwood floors in the living and dining rooms. Painted the walls in 3 rooms and bought new furniture for the living rooms and dining rooms. Lynn was smart that she hired a contractor for help both inside and outside. The funniest thing I saw was her trying to take of they paper borders. Hint: Get a paper tiger and score the border first then sock it with the solution to help dissolve the glue. Not the other way around.

D'manda, can we just shot this woman. I like that they put in hardwood floors in the living room and they esthetic there was modern with the slate blue walls, the black piano and shelves and pale yellow loveseats. There was a real disconnect with the country look of the dining room. Although I loved the brilliant blue walls of the dining room, with the dark oak cabinet and dining table and the very dark blue carpet it was a dark hole absorbing all light and life that happened to wander in that space. Now the kitchen. ah, the kitchen. Now I don't have a problem with the standard builders oak cabinents, I think I have the very same ones. If you have the money to spend by all means keep out economy afloat and the American Dream alive by being in debt up to your eyeballs. The replacement cabinents were nice. I liked the tile floor. (hated that she did not break one finger nail to help lay it) glad the island was added, the kitchen definitely lacked workspace, liked the new countertops, but hated the wall color. That wall color needed to be either 2 to 3 tones darker or lighter, it just blended into the cabinents and countertops and tile. Once big peach melba blob. There was a real disconnect between the three rooms. I would say that the kitchen and living were transitional and the dining room and mistake. It the wall color of the kitchen was the pale yellow of the living room seating that would have looked nice and connected. The dinning room furniture either had to be changed or the wall color. As for the master bedroom. It was unfinished and just ugly. That furniture was not country is was Ethan Allen.

I just started watching this because of your comments Bearcata. Thanks.

I have to agree about D'manda. By the end of the first half hour I was muting the TV when she was on. What a lazy, whiny B****.

I thought that Lynn was kind of pushy too, but she really made that house come together. Her comments on D'manda and Mark's decorating were right on the money as was yours.

I was surprised by the kind comments Josephine and Tom made.

And God bless them for starting all over with a baby after 20 years and 3 teenagers.

Demanda was awful, imo.
    I have no idea how or why her fiance puts up with her.
    I really didn't like the blue dining room.
    No colour supresses the appetite like blue, so it's never a wise choice for a dining room.
    I also try to steer clients away from blue dining room walls if they're ever foolish enough to request them.
    I'm not a fan of the country look at the best of times, and dark blue dining room walls is not the best of times, imo.
    I also really didn't like the peach colour in the kitchen either.
    It did nothing to compliment or enhance the cabinets.
    At least Demanda didn't like that either.
    I'm sure she'll have her fiance change it.
    They should probably have just continued with the slate blue form the living room throughout the main floor.
    I didn't like that they had chairs at the lower level of the island.
    They should have at least gone for a more compact chair style that could be more easily accomodated round the island.
    The chairs they had took up too much room, imo.
    The bedroom looked very unfinished.
    It's all veyr well for her to say bedrooms should be uncluttered, Demanda's just looked unfinished.

Quote Originally Posted by catmom3;2256374;
    I just started watching this because of your comments Bearcata. Thanks.

I have to agree about D'manda. By the end of the first half hour I was muting the TV when she was on. What a lazy, whiny B****.

I thought that Lynn was kind of pushy too, but she really made that house come together. Her comments on D'manda and Mark's decorating were right on the money as was yours.

I was surprised by the kind comments Josephine and Tom made.

And God bless them for starting all over with a baby after 20 years and 3 teenagers.
    Hey, thanks for watching. I must admit the show is much better this season, it has tighter editing and it makes for a better show. Still I do envy how quickly these folks can pick paint color, I agonize over it and go to all the home improvement stores looking just the right shade. I get those little pints and paint 2 ft swatches on the wall and check to see how the color looks during the morning, noon and evening light.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2256603;
    Demanda was awful, imo.
    I have no idea how or why her fiance puts up with her.
    I really didn't like the blue dining room.
    No colour supresses the appetite like blue, so it's never a wise choice for a dining room.
    I also try to steer clients away from blue dining room walls if they're ever foolish enough to request them.
    I'm not a fan of the country look at the best of times, and dark blue dining room walls is not the best of times, imo.
    I also really didn't like the peach colour in the kitchen either.
    It did nothing to compliment or enhance the cabinets.
    At least Demanda didn't like that either.
    I'm sure she'll have her fiance change it.
    They should probably have just continued with the slate blue form the living room throughout the main floor.
    I didn't like that they had chairs at the lower level of the island.
    They should have at least gone for a more compact chair style that could be more easily accomodated round the island.
    The chairs they had took up too much room, imo.
    The bedroom looked very unfinished.
    It's all veyr well for her to say bedrooms should be uncluttered, Demanda's just looked unfinished.
    If blue is such an appetite suppressent then why do they have all these china patterns with blue on then? I personally never liked blue patterns on my china as the food does not look appetizing but they sell so much of the stuff.

Also with the dining room I could see it working with a pale yellow above the rail and the slate blue or if they had insisted the royal blue below the rail and a cream yellow in the kitchen. But the furniture and carpet just did not connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2256792;
    If blue is such an appetite suppressent then why do they have all these china patterns with blue on then? I personally never liked blue patterns on my china as the food does not look appetizing but they sell so much of the stuff.

Also with the dining room I could see it working with a pale yellow above the rail and the slate blue or if they had insisted the royal blue below the rail and a cream yellow in the kitchen. But the furniture and carpet just did not connect.
    A lot of people collect blue patterned china, such as willow pattern for display as much, if not more so, than for eating off.
    A patterned plate with some blue is very different from a solid blue plate.
    One of the first things I learned in college when I studied for my degree in interior design is that dark blue, or any blue for that matter, is not the best colour for dining rooms and it's use on a large scale should be avoided.

+ Reply to Thread