+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Movin' Up with Doug on TLC

I agree, Sukee. Those kitchen cabinets would have worked just fine in the garage.

I loved Maria's house for a nice, neutral starting point. I especially love having skylights in a bedroom. She had a great touch.

The crappy country house was exactly that.. crappy. I didn't mind the bedroom as a theme room, but... no to the rest of it. No no no.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

One thing about the crappy country couple and their distressed floors. I know how hard I worked to pay the mortgage on my first house and we had these really nice hardwood floors in the front hallway, kitchen and eat in area and to see how the current owners (members of my family) have destroyed the floors makes me cringe and figure they just do not give a f***. I grew up in a family were my parents had lost everything at a young age and I was taught to take care of what you had and to see people destroy a piece of property like that is very hard.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

1/27/07 Louisiana

Couple number one are Cari and John, together 5 yrs with 2 kids. Lost everything in Hurricane Katrina and have been living in a FEMA trailer. There wedding was paid for but it was scheduled during the hurricane so it never happened and they ended being married by a justice of the peace in a town they evacuated to. They bought there house for $200,000.

Couple number two Dana and Billy been together for 25 yrs (must have started dating in junior high) with 2 kids. Dana is a hairdresser and Billy works for the Army Corp of Engineers and is gone have the month on work assignments. Dana has a problem with credit cards, does not realize there are limits to how much you can spend. They bought their new house for $315,000.

Couple number 3 are Becky and Dave, married for 21 yrs. Nice french country colonial style of house bit formal but it suits them. Nice white kitchen with off white tile counters.

They are shown moving: Since they lost everything in Katrina Cari and John have about 8 boxes to move and they are done. Dana and Billy are packing but Dana is shown being lazy talking on the phone and Billy is waiting cause he needs her help. Becky and Dave are doing it on their own cause they said they couldn't find anyone to help them move in the middle of the week. Now maybe cause DC is a bigger metropolitian area but there are moving companies in the area that only move families within the area. I spent a week moving stuff on my own renting a moving truck, moving stuff in a car if I had known how much easier it was with the intercity movers I still would have packed the boxes but they could have moved them. I would have saved myself a week off and a lot of sore muscles and the money from renting a moving truck. Its not as expensive as moving cross country. Hey, live and learn. Uhaul has a horrible repurtation in this area as being totally undependable and even it you make a reservation for a vehicle it does not mean you really have a reservation.

Cari and John want to paint the outside of the house, its barn red now, put in some flower beds, change the kitchen and it really needs it, add color to the rooms and get new carpet. The problem is Cari is a stay at home mom with 2 kids under 3 and Dave was working 7 days a week and has cut back to 6 days a week but leaves at 5:30 am and does not get back home until 6, 7 or 9pm. He owns his own disposal company. I did not have much sympathy for the wife with the constant nagging. Yes, stuff needs to be done but at this point hire a handy man and have him paint the outside and inside and do the flower beds it would have been worth it. It would not have been a strain on the marriage and everyone would have been happy. The big difference was the kitchen which really needed a makeover. It looked like the original, the cabinents sucked. They kept the floors but put in new cherry (?)cabinets. The old overhead ones were not even standard size and that made a big difference as far as storage. Black granite counter tops, it was a long galley kitchen so that made for a lot of counter tops and brand new stainless steel appliances. The best part was the little boys room, they had a dump truck bed with working lights. Of course the previous owners trashed what they had done. It was not necessary Cari and John did a great job and made the house theirs.

Dana and Billey gutted the kitchen, they did sell the white cabinets. but if it was me I would have kept the cabinents and upgraded the counters to either a black granite or a white, beige, black speckled one. It suited the architecture of the house much better. Dana spent about $40,000 on a really modern kitchen maple colored cabinents with guess what black counter tops and backslash. What she critized Cari and John doing in her old house. Issues there. They did tear up the old patio, expeanded it by half, put in taller 6 foot privacy fences, flagstone pavers, and a tiki bar and statues. A totally different feel then the quite french provical feel that was there before. The old owners were not happy with it. Funny thing both Dana and Billy were not happy with the flagstone pavers, they thought it would be more flat/smooth. Duh, what were they thinking when they picked this stuff out. I did like the suede brown color that Dana had the living room walls painted thinking this is a similiar color family you just trashed Cari and John using in your old house. Dana got all neew living room funiture. The younger daughter got a pink princess castle with a loft bed for her room and a painted mural. Funny both couple number one and two had great kids rooms.

Overall, I think Cari and John got more bang for their buck with better curb appeal, change of color of the house and the improvements that they did in the house. They will certainly get a great return on updating their kitchen. I think Dana spent a lot of money on the kitchen but the cabinets do overwhelm the space, and it may not be to everyones taste it depends if they stay in that house for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2218981;
    Overall, I think Cari and John got more bang for their buck with better curb appeal, change of color of the house and the improvements that they did in the house. They will certainly get a great return on updating their kitchen. I think Dana spent a lot of money on the kitchen but the cabinets do overwhelm the space, and it may not be to everyones taste it depends if they stay in that house for a long time.
    I agree re the curb appeal after Cari and Billy had made their changes.
    The red colour was very lifeless imo.
    I wasn't keen on Dana and Billy's updated kitchen either.
    I think they vastly overpaid and the finishing touches of the copper tiles in the backsplash were barely visible.
    The cupoard colour was very bland imo and even before she admitted to getting it in the sale, you could tell she had cheaped out on the window treatment.
    I'd have sourced her a far better kitchen for that kind of money.
    I didn't like what they did with the back garden either.
    Those flag stones were too busy for my liking and the garden furniture didn't appeal to me at all.
    I didn't even like their daughter's bedroom.
    I found the main pink colour very dull and far too greyed-out.
    I liked that they warmed up the living room with a nice earthy colour, but I found the room rather too formal overall, yet the sofa looked out of place and casual.
    This to me was a perfect example of people spending a lot of money but getting a final result that looks like a little, well, cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2218994;
    I agree re the curb appeal after Cari and Billy had made their changes.
    The red colour was very lifeless imo.
    I wasn't keen on Dana and Billy's updated kitchen either.
    I think they vastly overpaid and the finishing touches of the copper tiles in the backsplash were barely visible.
    The cupoard colour was very bland imo and even before she admitted to getting it in the sale, you could tell she had cheaped out on the window treatment.
    I'd have sourced her a far better kitchen for that kind of money.
    I didn't like what they did with the back garden either.
    Those flag stones were too busy for my liking and the garden furniture didn't appeal to me at all.
    I didn't even like their daughter's bedroom.
    I found the main pink colour very dull and far too greyed-out.

I liked that they warmed up the living room with a nice earthy colour, but I found the room rather too formal overall, yet the sofa looked out of place and casual.
    This to me was a perfect example of people spending a lot of money but getting a final result that looks like a little, well, cheap.
    The best kids tooms I have ever seen is from the designer who won the HGTV's Design Star competition. In the follow up 'Making of a Design Star' he showed some of his sketches and they were devine. Still I do applaud anyone that tries to go over the top for their kids.

As for the living room Furniture, while in the store it looked comfortable, I would call it semi formal, I truly think at this point Dana needed some design help as far as color and scale and proportion. In the living room that furniture was one dark mass, where were the mid tones to break things up, were was red repeated in the room. I saw brown, dark red and dark yellow as the main colors with a neutral carpet but they were just blobs of color here and here, something was definitely missing. While Dana claimed Cari and John needed a designers help they need to look a little closer to home. I am surprised cause Doug has helped couples before but in the last several episode it seems that he has not.

As far as the outdoor tiki party room I did not have a problem with the furniture it was the furniture with the flagstone. Again some design help here. How about a stamped and stained concrete. It would have been the smooth and flat surface they both wanted but decorated to suit the tiki theme.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Dana's kitchen was just too modern for the architecture of that house, made even more so by the fact that the kitchen was open plan to the living room. To make matters worse she picked out a bizarre combo of traditional drawer pulls and contemporary door handles that were only similar in finish (nickle). It really did look like a very cheap kitchen. I agree with Bearcata, I'd of kept the original cabinets (maybe do a new island since they wanted a larger one) and upgraded surfaces and appliances.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

2/3/07 - back in New Jersey

I think I have come to the conclusion that northerns, at least New Yorkers and New Jerseyites are ruder then southerners just from watching the comments that come out of peoples mouths on this show.

Any way we are back in New Jersey:

Couple 1: Matt and Liam. A gay single dad and his adopted son. I loved Matt he stood toe to toe with Doug and instulted him barb for barb. It was subtle but it was there and fun to watch. Little Liam was a joy. They moved out of a condo and bought a $400,000 bungalow from:

Couple 2: Michelle and Kevin who have a 19 month old daughter and Michelle is 7 months pregnant and they need more space. They bought a larger home for $600,000 in Lindcroft (sp) NJ from:

Couple 3: Sharon and Rick who have lived in it for 32 yrs and are moving to Florida to be closer to the kids.

Matt had good intentions and had a plan for a friend to help babysit Liam cause trying to paint walls and do construction with a 2 yr old underfoot is not a good idea. He eventually had to hire contractors and went over budget but we never got any solid figures. The main areas redone where the foyer/sunroom, the kitchen, Liam's bedroom and the backyard. The foyer was a pink mess the previous owners had pink walls, a pink sofa, a pink chaise and a tv in there. It is the main entrance to the house and its a tv room. Huh! Matt painted the walls a chocolate brown, liked the color. Did not like the faux bricks he added on the one wall. Or were those original to the front porch and they had just been painted pink before. I like the rug, a caramel color with a leaf motif on it. liked the mirror and small side table for keys and mail. The leopard print bench was a nice touch. The print was maybe a bit off, but it did pick up the brown and tan colors of the walls and carpet and it was Liam's choice so I thought that was cute. It was a huge room, and flowed much better into the house without all the pink clutter the previous owners had.

The renovations to the kitchen were not bad in keeping with a budget. Matt had the contractors paint the oak cabinents a glossy white. Added, looked like simple brushed nickel round pulls, a new procelin sink and terra cotta paint to the walls. He also replaced the octogon shaped window with clear glass instead of the stained glass. The stained glass window did not bother me but I could see Matt wanting more natural light in that kitchen. I was surprised at the amount of work Matt put into the backyard but it is an adult sharing it with a child. I did not understand the previous owners adversion to puting in trees and plants. I would just for some shade and privacy.

Laim's room was simple and I liked the fire engine bed it was not so huge that it over powered the room like the dumptruck and castle rooms in last weeks episode.

Michelle and Kevin's house. Michelle annoyed me a bit with her worrying and telling Kevin what to do. If she knew what she was doing that was one thing but she had as little construction experience as he did. I like how they opened the kitchen and family room. I could have seen them also just putting in a larger pass thru and making in a bar. Still the wooden floor in the foyer, kitchen and family room were a great unifying feature. I like the grey blue in the family room and the red in the foyer. The TV in the family room would have looked better in silver and a tad larger. The scale seemed off in comparison to the size of the fireplace. They spent some serious money on the cabinents and counter tops. I like the colors and materials used in the kitchen but I also think the the kitchen was too small for the scale of the item they put in. If they had not blown out the wall the kitchen would have seemed claustrophobic.

The pink kids room was very nice and tasteful. Still why put a dresser so close to the foot of the bed were it seems it would be very hard to pull the drawers open with out ending up bumping into the end of the bed???

I liked the way Matt updated his kitchen, it wasn't to my taste, but it definitely brightened the palce up and extended the life of some tired looking cabintes.
    The cabinets were sound, just not to his liking.
    If the configuration works for you a facelift is the way to go imo.
    That kitchen will see him through for a while until he's better placed financially to do a more complete renovation.

I liked the fire engine bed too.
    Matt and Liam were a cute little family. Their house seems to suit them.
    I wasn't thrilled with the sun room makeover, but it looked about a million times better than when the previous owners lived there.

I liked the two-tone pink room Michelle and Kevin painted for their daughters.
    That's the right way to do pink imo, niot the deadly dull shade the woman last week picked.
    I thought the tv over the fireplace was completely out of place.
    I'd have rather invested in updating the fire surround (if it was an either/or situation) than spent the money on a tv they didn't need.
    The fireplace looked very tired to me. The mantle needed beefing up and the brick needed to be either removed altogther preferably or at least covered.
    I thought the fireplace bought the whole room down and the tv stuck out like a sore thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2230380;
    I liked the way Matt updated his kitchen, it wasn't to my taste, but it definitely brightened the palce up and extended the life of some tired looking cabintes.
    The cabinets were sound, just not to his liking.
    If the configuration works for you a facelift is the way to go imo.
    That kitchen will see him through for a while until he's better placed financially to do a more complete renovation.

I liked the fire engine bed too.
    Matt and Liam were a cute little family. Their house seems to suit them.
    I wasn't thrilled with the sun room makeover, but it looked about a million times better than when the previous owners lived there.

I liked the two-tone pink room Michelle and Kevin painted for their daughters.
    That's the right way to do pink imo, niot the deadly dull shade the woman last week picked.
    I thought the tv over the fireplace was completely out of place.
    I'd have rather invested in updating the fire surround (if it was an either/or situation) than spent the money on a tv they didn't need.
    The fireplace looked very tired to me. The mantle needed beefing up and the brick needed to be either removed altogther preferably or at least covered.
    I thought the fireplace bought the whole room down and the tv stuck out like a sore thumb
    I could see updating the fireplace surround with a similiar granite they used in the kitchen, add a white painted wooden mantle, even making an insert in the wall to hide the tv and having doors or have a picture hide the TV. Candice Olsen (HGTV) just did a living room where that is exactly what they did with the tv and the painting hiding the tv was also on a remote and would slide into place. Might be a tad too hi tech for this couple.

bearcata... that's exactly what I've thought of doing to my tv niche, but I have no clue how to go about getting it done. I'd love to cover up the big ol' hole with a painting that raises and lowers by remote.

I loved little Liam: "daddy, you're bugging me! daddy, go away!" Adorable.

I loved the same things that you guys did... Matt's sunroom (minus the bricks..tacky), Michelle and Kevin's daughter's room, and their kitchen renovation. I didn't mind the tv, Matt's painted gold sidewalk, and I just didn't understand his aversion to the porthole stained glass window. It wasn't that ugly.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread