+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Movin' Up with Doug on TLC

Such an interesting episode tonight, lol!!

Couples fighting, wallpaper borders flying, and paint colors changing faster than the eye can see. This reminds me again how I will never ever move to Staten Island.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;1253802;
    I can't stand Doug on TS, so obnoxious, imo, so it was preferable to me to see him on a show where people weren't being saddled with his God-awful designs just because it amuses him to ruin people's rooms.
    oh man fluff I could'nt agree with you more!

Doug is such a talentless jerk!
    His designs are horrible.... I wish they would make a reality show where a panel of REAL designers go and critique rooms done by Doug the slug and Hildeous Hildy the broom jockey!

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;2197347;
    Such an interesting episode tonight, lol!!

Couples fighting, wallpaper borders flying, and paint colors changing faster than the eye can see. This reminds me again how I will never ever move to Staten Island.
    All that was overshadowed for me by Doug's ever changing haircolors in the episode He had his normal greyish, light brown, and dark brown all three during the course of an hour (tv time). He really needed to stay out of the dye bottle and just let nature do what it wants.

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022;2197507;
    All that was overshadowed for me by Doug's ever changing haircolors in the episode He had his normal greyish, light brown, and dark brown all three during the course of an hour (tv time). He really needed to stay out of the dye bottle and just let nature do what it wants.
    Now that you mention it, yeah his hair color does change but since this was filmed over at least a 4 to 5 month period I can understand it.

Still those Staten Island accents & attitudes were annoying and really grated on the nerves. The couples were so harsh with each other I certainly was not feeling the LOVE. The first couple that moved from an apartment to the townhouse, the Montique style, the wife, Jen, I hated her attitude, do some work. I liked how the husband said Jen thinks it will only take 2 wks and it took 3 months to redo the house. I mean you are completely redoing a kitchen, new window, and new floors. You have to order the materials and wait for delivery and then install. I certainly hope that they had professional installers because I do not believe that hubby did that by himself. Neither the first or second couple had any room to critisize the room colors. I didn't like the harvest gold or the yellow green on the bedroom walls. Tone it down.

I did like the last couples minimilist modern look but again don't these couples understand that just because your style is not everyone's that doesn't mean its wrong.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Cleocatra;2197499;
    oh man fluff I could'nt agree with you more!

Doug is such a talentless jerk!
    His designs are horrible.... I wish they would make a reality show where a panel of REAL designers go and critique rooms done by Doug the slug and Hildeous Hildy the broom jockey!
    Oh, I disagree. Doug, pre-ratings collaboration with Hildi, has designed some absolutely gorgeous rooms over the years. And if you peek at magazines that show rooms that he's designed... he's a terrific designer. I think that once he designed to get attention through drama it all went downhill. The white/black episode will forever go down as the worst redesign in TS history. I like him on this show and find him amusing.

The young couple with the media room.... I don't think they changed the overall design of the house much at all. A few gold/orange rooms does not Tuscan make. Someone should thwop that woman upside the head.

The woman who refused to help her husband but thought it was great to accept the credit.... THWOP to her, too.

And Libs... I did an about take a few times with Doug's hair, too. I haven't seen him with brown hair since TS Season One, it seems.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

1/13/07 Raleigh, NC

Dougs in Raleigh, North Carolina. I like this week's couples much better than last weeks. What is it about people from the New York Metro area that makes them sound so mean and nasty?

What was interesting was couple number one, Beth and Johnny were getting divorce after 6 yrs and she got the house and he is moving out into a townhouse, which Johnny bought from Paula and Jeff for $297,000.

Paula and Jeff are engaged and this will be a second marriage for both of them. The townhouse was Jeff's and he lived in it for a yr before Paula moved in and so his decorating color sense of beige, beige, beige reined supreme. Paula wants to inject a little bit more color into the new house.

Linda and Tom have been married for 22 yrs and have lived this this Gerorgian colonial for 13 yrs. They sold their house to Paula and Jeff for $395,000.

What I liked about this house is the give and take between Beth and Johnny, they signed their divorce papers 3 days after Johnny moved out of their home into the townhouse. You can see where they squabled alot over his poor planing and organization skills. The minute Johnny moved out Beth had painter come in and put horizontal stripes of it looked like red and orange into the master suite and she totally new bedroom suite and linens and curtains. It was a huge master so could take the bold colors but what is funny is Doug kept calling the colors pink and I saw orange and orangy red on my TV. I liked Johnny's eclectic style but for some people his recreation of the Sonoma landscape in his bedroom complete with sound recordings of coyote's howling was a bit much for the previous tenent, Paula. I give Johnny kudos for picking a concept and going hog wild. I loved the curved bookcases he put in his office.

Paula and Jeff did a great job in their sunroom. When they first opened their paint cans I was worried, their was bright orange, a bright yellow orange and dark brown. They put the orange on the walls, the yellow orange on the ceiling and painted the bookshelves brown and took down the middle book case and then on the left and right shelves they extended one desk height shelf and made it a desk. The finished product was a double office and it looked great. They did freshen up the kitchen with new cabinets and had sold the old ones on EBay. They had put in a new patio and took out the old brick one and filled in the pond and make a smaller fountain. It was funny how Tom, the previous owner, either hated or loved the improvements, but I though he was over picky about the dust he claimed was all over the house. Its been only 3 months, they moved out of their old house, moved into the new house and redecorated, everything will not be perfect, quit being such and old grouch.

The "divorce" episode was probably one of my favorites. Great combination of people and styles to contend with.

Johnny's 'Sonoma bedroom' is one scary place! I'm sorry that's just mural gone wild and completely wrong! The bathroom though is gorgeous with all the cobalt tiles and super huge tub I do enjoy the concept that is in his living room with a mix of traditional and ecclectic, love the big plum/eggplant couch especially.

Bearcata, I'm agreed with you about Paula & Jeff's sunroom/study...very nice indeed! The kitchen did look fresh, but those cobalt blue tiles were great (or maybe it's just me with a slight fondness for that color blue as well) and I was sad to see them go. The patio was sorta 'meh' to me, but I think that's cause it just didn't look lived in enough for my tastes, I liked the brick one that was there originally. Paula is doing wonders for Jeff and his beige world.

Sometimes it would be nice if they could show the new home for the third couple. I found myself really interested in seeing the stone cottage that was Linda's dream home.

I really didn't much care for Paula and Jeff's new kitchen... thought they made it look worse, and not better. I, too, would have kept the old cobalt tiles with maybe the new cabinets. But with the yellow it just made it all look.... older, somehow. And I didn't much care for Paula, either.

Loved Johnny's office with the curved bookcases. Loved the green in his living room with the cool and comfy purple couch. Agreed with Paula that a chickee will never make it past the Sedona bedroom to see the cool bathroom. And I'm amazed that Beth helped Johnny through the entire process when it was more than obvious that she was so tired of his childish ways.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

!/20/07 Eastern Pennsylvania

I liked what 27 yr old Maria did to her house ($213,000) the kitchen, that had to be a $40,000 kithen, with new cherry cabinets, stainless steel appliances and granite countertops and backsplash. Not sure what the floor was. Still with new hardwood floors in the rest of the house and the rest just paint and new furniture, I hope she can afford that on a teachers salary. The previous owners had nothing to nitpick about considering they let ferrets poop all over the carpet. I was a tad shocked about the middle couple. He being 17 and she 23 when they first met, got pregnant and married and here they are 14 yrs later getting married again. I do not particularly care for 'crappy country' mostly there house did not look that bad. except the kitchen. It was soooooo dark in there I couldn't see a thing. Still the master bedroom, family room and dinning room looked better than I though they would. Stll I thought if they had saved those alluminum 1950's kitchen cabinets they could have gotten some money for them on E-Bay. Still its nice to know that you can purchase a 5 acre horse farm in Pennsylvania for $257,000.

I've always thought that people destroy the previous kitchens and other rooms a bit much. There is no need to break it all down, as you say much could be recycled. At least on shows like Extreme Makeover they save what they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2211416;
    I liked what 27 yr old Maria did to her house ($213,000) the kitchen, that had to be a $40,000 kithen, with new cherry cabinets, stainless steel appliances and granite countertops and backsplash. Not sure what the floor was. Still with new hardwood floors in the rest of the house and the rest just paint and new furniture, I hope she can afford that on a teachers salary. The previous owners had nothing to nitpick about considering they let ferrets poop all over the carpet. I was a tad shocked about the middle couple. He being 17 and she 23 when they first met, got pregnant and married and here they are 14 yrs later getting married again. I do not particularly care for 'crappy country' mostly there house did not look that bad. except the kitchen. It was soooooo dark in there I couldn't see a thing. Still the master bedroom, family room and dinning room looked better than I though they would. Stll I thought if they had saved those alluminum 1950's kitchen cabinets they could have gotten some money for them on E-Bay. Still its nice to know that you can purchase a 5 acre horse farm in Pennsylvania for $257,000.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

+ Reply to Thread