+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just curious

I haven't heard any EM families complaining about being stuck with an unpayable bill, so I think the show is paying some bills for the short term. In contrast, when Oprah gave out cars, there were folks who had to sell them because they couldn't afford the tax on the prize.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by kcfemmefatale
    That said, I wonder how much their utility bills shoot up after the remodels and how much their property assessments shoot up. Heck, just finishing off a basement family room raises property taxes, imagine what super-sized conversions would do. Making someone's living space better is one thing, majorly overdoing it to the point that it might be a finanicial hardship in the end is another.
    I posted somewhere else before I read this thread. I live in Phoenix...trust me it can cost an easy 1,000 a month to cool a house the size of the Okvath's. Also, who pays the property taxes. And the mom has how many little kids? Who cleans the 5,000 square foot house. I absolutely love the show but, some people may end up in a mess afterwards.

Usually the company that works witht the design team pays for soemthing like elcetricty, water or morgage once in a hwile they'll also pay for the child to (or children) to go to college like witht he Vardon's or the Harris family as well they do such a wonderful job I love that show it's amazing!
    Kyan Douglas: To cute for words

FORT Newbie
    I lvoe this show too. I nominated my fmaily for one but I dont think are story is going to be sad enough for tv...oh well...I have so many questions about the truuths of this show but I guess we will probably never know.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar
    The newly created expenses of even an upgraded home, much less a tear-down have had me wondering about these shows. I use a box of tissue per show and love the personalities, but I wonder about how the families cope after the lights and cameras are turned off. During last week's show they showed how they could make the house as energy efficient as possible, but that doesn't pay the property taxes.

What caused their homes to fall apart in the first place? Lack of money and will? Does winning the lottery make you suddenly un-depressed and motivated? Do they offer psychological counseling along with the remodel?

I love these shows, but what is the story under the story to quote my new fave fictional show, Eyes.

I always wonder how long it will take for the new half million dollar home to get back to squaller with unmade beds, unkept yards and piles of dirty laundry laying around the way it was before. It would take a cleaning and yard crew 8hrs a day every day to keep it the way it looks when the family takes over, especially when there are four or five children involved.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaCarnes
    I always wonder how long it will take for the new half million dollar home to get back to squaller with unmade beds, unkept yards and piles of dirty laundry laying around the way it was before. It would take a cleaning and yard crew 8hrs a day every day to keep it the way it looks when the family takes over, especially when there are four or five children involved.
    I really love this show but if anyone caught Sundays episode with the guy that was just diagnosed with epilepsy. I cant believe they even lived like that before EMHE redid their shack...I mean that was just disgusting and really ridiculous that they didnt keep up that home better and I am sure after some time their nice new big home is going to go down the tubes and look like the shack they lived in previously...I understand the mom had to work 2 jobs but the other kids were older and alot of mothers work two jobs and can still provide a decent home for their family small or large.

No disrespect to this particular family but I was really dissapointed with this weeks episode. Next week will be the show with the guy that was shot in the Radio Shack shooting. The season finale was just filmed in Arizona the family of the woman Lori Piestewa that was killed in Iraq. I am sure that was a wonderful suprise for the family...

FORT Newbie
    Here is more of that story...very touching.

April 21, 2005

EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION - "PIESTEWA FAMILY PART 1" & "PIESTEWA FAMILY PART 2" - TWO HOUR SEASON FINALE -- SUNDAY, MAY 22 (7:00-8:00 & 8:00--9:00 p.m., ET) - (This family was nominated to EM:HE by PFC Jessica Lynch, who was on site for the build.) When PFC Lori Piestewa was in Iraq, she told her roommate and best friend, PFC Jessica Lynch, that her dream was to return to her home in Tuba City, Arizona and build her parents a house to which they could retire. But in March 2003, Lori lost her life, becoming the first American woman killed in the Iraq war, while trying to save the lives of her friends, Jessica Lynch and Shoshannah Johnson, when her Humvee was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade. The 23-year-old divorced mother left behind two young children, Brandon (6) and Carla Whiterock (5), who are being cared for by Lori's parents, Percy and Terry Piestewa. Currently the family lives in a small, rented mobile home on a reservation in Tuba City, Arizona. The design team built a new house for them in a mere seven days in Flagstaff, Arizona - where they can be closer to family -- on land donated by the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians. Additionally, the design team, workers and volunteers from "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" will also be building a Veteran's Memorial Center on the Navajo Reservation in Tuba City, on land belonging to the Navajo Nation. The building is for Native Americans who served in the armed services. While the building takes place, the Piestewas and their grandchildren will be on vacation at Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

http://www.tvtome.com/ExtremeMakeoverHomeEdition/

I read somewhere - awhile ago so I don't remember the details - that the show "leases" the house from the homeowners for two weeks and somehow that makes some sort of tax work around for the property taxes. Plus they get donations from the building company and others to help with expenses - like maid service. Even without kids it would be so time consuming to keep up with just the basics of housework the size of some of these jumbo re-dos. I think the show goes out of their way to not leave the families they help feeling burdened by their new house.

What I'm curious about is how do they decide where to send the family for the week?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." B. Russell

did you guys watch the week where the father was a fireman, plus had 2 other jobs, was raising 3 children of his own as a single dad, plus adopted 2 other sons when their mother died?

the builders paid for 10 years of his utilities and gave him a check for $100,000. i also believe all 5 children got full 4 year scholarships.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast