+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Iron Chef America

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda
    .... Doubt we will ever see the American verison but without the whole over the top Japanese game type feel to the whole thing I doubt it would appeal to me as much
    That's how I feel, as well. The over-the-top dramatization and elaborate lighting and stage effects make it fun to watch. This is why I don't enjoy Iron Chef America as much. It just lacks that campy edge to it.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fan
    I agree also. Iron Chef America reminds me of a singer who takes a well known song and changes it so much that it takes away what made it good in the first place. I'm surprised that so many people who've watched the original show have been disappointed in not being able to use recipes from it. Giving people recipe ideas just isn't what the original version was about. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulvons
    I agree also. Iron Chef America reminds me of a singer who takes a well known song and changes it so much that it takes away what made it good in the first place. I'm surprised that so many people who've watched the original show have been disappointed in not being able to use recipes from it. Giving people recipe ideas just isn't what the original version was about. Thanks
    I like it better than the original, and I would love the recipes!

What was up in the most recent episode with that "Kitchen Stadium 3" and the chairman said to be docking in a private sub? Then the creepy audience who looked like waxworks but turned out to be real?

Also I didn't see Morimoto's picture up there. Maybe he got mad after the tie and quit.

Good for Cat Cora this time, though. She really did break the seafood/ice cream machine curse!

Quote Originally Posted by paulvons
    I'm surprised that so many people who've watched the original show have been disappointed in not being able to use recipes from it. Giving people recipe ideas just isn't what the original version was about. Thanks
    Actually, I don't know anyone who is disappointed in not wanting to use recipes from the original. Everyone I know takes it as a matter of course that the show isn't about the recipes, and that most Americans wouldn't find the recipes appealing. The camp is what the show is about, not the appeal of the recipes.

Iron Chef America, on the other hand, does have some appealing recipes. But it lacks any style or camp/drama... looks like a cheap high school production, which is why I like it less.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Premium Member
    I like it because I get a kick out of Alton Brown. The instant replay of Cat Cora pouring the beer into the wok was hilarious. They had me hooked before it even started with "Trout ice cream... with Eyeball".

I like Elton Brown on his show Good Eats. He's quirky and witty, and teaches me things. I also liked the kitchen he designed for that winner (can't remember her name) in the dream kitchen makeover show. I'd love to have one of the pot fillers he installed over the range! Good thinking!

I just don't like him in Iron Chef America

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses
    I like Elton Brown on his show Good Eats. He's quirky and witty, and teaches me things. I also liked the kitchen he designed for that winner (can't remember her name) in the dream kitchen makeover show. I'd love to have one of the pot fillers he installed over the range! Good thinking!

The pot filler was awesome. I call him the "Mr. Wizard" of the Food Network but that really dates me. *insert Dinosaur emoticon here*

spoiler ahead...

I loved the fact that they had Ralph from Hell's Kitchen as the contender. (He was the one who came in second on that show).

Even though he got slaughtered in the judging. I think it was the female judge who marked him down the most. Who did that woman think she was kidding with the hat? We could see her face perfectly, and anyone who cared to would be able to recognize her voice, gestures, and body language if they were really on the lookout for her as a critic of their restaurant even if they didn't know what the top half of her face looked like.

But Bobby always deserves his victories. Everything he makes always looks and sounds so appealing. He has the golden touch when it comes to creating dishes. Sometimes I think he is so used to people loving his food, however, that some of the thrill is gone for him. When I see him on other shows he seems to get more excited tasting other people's food -- or when he heloped design that outdoor dream kitchen for that couple in Vegas and then joked that he wanted to buy the house, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses View Post
    I like Elton Brown on his show Good Eats. He's quirky and witty, and teaches me things...
    Even though we prefer him on Good Eats, we like Alton Brown on Iron Chef too. I wasn't too crazy about him on The Next Food Network Star, however.
    Last edited by Harvest; 05-05-2006 at 01:08 PM.

Re: Iron Chef America

I would love to see Chef Deborah Scott (San Diego) go up against either Morimoto or Flay. And I want to be a judge!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: Iron Chef America

resurrecting a very old thread just so i can say how fascinated i continue to be by this show. i absolutely HATE to cook and avoid the kitchen whenever possible, but i LOVE watching other people cook, and the creativity shown by these chefs constantly amaze me. i would love to be a judge of something like this, though with my luck, the secret ingredient would end up being green pepper, one of the foods i absolute HATE.

my favorite ingredients they've had so far is peanuts, and this week's honey.

+ Reply to Thread