+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Iron Chef America

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Has anybody heard which other female chefs will be on?
    Food Network now has a semi-sorta-listing for it now, Marley. It's at this Food Network schedule link.

It shows two episodes airing one after the other for 2 hours of the Women's series.

Hour 1: Batali vs. Lo

Hour 2: Cat Cora vs. Alex Lee

Those links give brief episode descriptions. Very brief, lol. Those are the only 2 women I see listed in the Women's Warrior 'series' though. Does 2 make a series?
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Premium Member
    Thanks, I had been looking under Iron Chef America and not the TV schedule. Looks like Cat Cora will now be one of the Iron Chefs and take turns with the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Thanks, I had been looking under Iron Chef America and not the TV schedule.
    Yeah, you'd think that since they're promoting the Women Warriors episodes so strongly in tv commercials, that they'd at least make it more visible on their website, lol.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Iron Chef America - Cheap For A Reason?

I've kind of gotten used to watching the original Iron Chef (the Japanese version), in spite of it's somewhat cheesy drama with chairman Kaga. I have yet to see any of the iron chefs create anything I'd eat or even try a sample of (I hate French, Chinese, and Japanese food), but the show somehow grew on me and I enjoy watching it in spite of not being able to stomach what they create.

Tonight was the first time I've caught the opening of the Iron Chef America show. I've seen bits and pieces of it as it was well into the show, but had never seen the opening until tonight. And I just have to say.... Wow, what a cheap, cheesy opening. Whereas the original Iron Chef has a great kitchen setup, and a beautiful albeit dramatic introduction to the show and the theme ingredient, Iron Chef America looks like a high school production almost. Even the giant pictures of the Iron Chefs America look like cheap Xeroxed greyscale photos, compared to the artistic full color portraits of the Iron Chefs. And not even enough attention to details or production values to give them a nice 'official' chef's outfit. And whoopee, they step up on a small step to mark their status as Iron Chefs America. These guys look like my next door neighbor when he's in the backyard grilling.

This is going to sound like a weird question, but does anyone know if it was done this way on purpose? I can't imagine a producer actually wanting the opening sequence to look so amateurish and cheap. And although I know the most important thing is the quality of the food and their expertise in the kitchen, I miss the flair of the original Iron Chef show. Chairman Kaga's cheesy drama notwithstanding, as the Iron Chefs rise into Kitchen Stadium above everyone in dramatic lighting, that show gave the impression of elevating their Iron Chefs to a position of respect and honor. Iron Chef America gives them a stepstool and a big photo. And a young boy playing a 'Look, I'm Kaga' role very badly. I just can't believe the difference in production values, so that's why I'm honestly asking if anyone knows if there's a reason for the vast difference? Maybe a production meeting at some point in planning where they said "our aim is to make this as different from the original series as possible"?

Anyone know?

Bumping, because I'm still hoping someone might know the answer to my question.

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    I wish they'd quit with the live ingredients already. I'm not a fulltime vegetarian and I am aware that meat was once alive, but seeing it alive one minute and getting filleted a moment later disturbs me. The last two shows that I saw were with live catfish, and live lobsters.
    Every time they do it, I think of how movies need SPCA approval and can't even kill a cockroach, but the cooking shows can slaughter live critters on the air. Bizarre disconnect!

I just found a really funny blog post about those live ingredients. Well, funny is a matter of taste, so I'm just going to link to it instead of quoting (it's in the Tuesday July 26 entry.) In case of squeamishness you can choose to skip it. The guy also makes a funny comment about Airline in the same entry. Do be warned his site has strong language and some R-rated (or NC-17?) content.

Iron Chef America live ingredients

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses
    ...And a young boy playing a 'Look, I'm Kaga' role very badly. I just can't believe the difference in production values, so that's why I'm honestly asking if anyone knows if there's a reason for the vast difference? Maybe a production meeting at some point in planning where they said "our aim is to make this as different from the original series as possible"?
    Anyone know?
    I like the "nimble chairman," if that is who you meant by the "young boy." He is the Japanese guy's nephew, and he doesn't look too young to me, but maybe I'm not getting your reference. As for making it different, Hubby remembers a short-lived network attempt at Iron Chef starring William Shatner (how in the world did I miss William Shatner? Was that the one set in Vegas?), so maybe they had to make it different from that as well?
    Last edited by Harvest; 07-27-2005 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest
    I like the "nimble chairman," if that is who you meant by the "young boy." He is the Japanese guy's nephew, and he doesn't look too young to me, but maybe I'm not getting your reference. As for making it different, Hubby remembers a short-lived network attempt at Iron Chef starring William Shatner (how in the world did I miss William Shatner? Was that the one set in Vegas?), so maybe they had to make it different from that as well?
    Thanks, Harvest, for responding. I was hoping someone would answer, as I really did want to know.

Yes, we're talking about the same guy, Chairman Kaga's nephew. When I said "young boy" I was talking in relation to Kaga's age and level of 'authority presence'. Your hubby has a good memory, I didn't know about the William Shatner version at all, but I can just IMAGINE how that show would have been!

I've continued watching Iron Chef America off and on a bit since I originally posted that question, and I guess I've come to the conclusion that it must be a deliberate attempt to make it look so cheap and cheesy, compared to the original show. I don't think such a show would be on the Food Network as it is if it were to be taken as anything more than cheesy in effects, staging, acting, etc. They seem to take the actual cooking part of it seriously enough (although not the chefs themselves or the commentary), so I guess it's planned cheapness for a contrast. So I just ignore the cheap parts and watch the rest.

At least Iron Chef America actually produces some dishes that I might actually like to try, as opposed to the original version that loved to use every piece of creature innards and wierd stuff I'd never try.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses
    At least Iron Chef America actually produces some dishes that I might actually like to try, as opposed to the original version that loved to use every piece of creature innards and wierd stuff I'd never try.
    Yes, I should really go to the FoodTV site and see if they provide recipes, since I too often feel I would love the recipe for things they make on ICA.

The most recent episode with Mario Batali vs. Traci Des Jardins had plenty of flavors I'd love to cook with, although for my personal preference I would substitute something else instead of shrimp as the main ingredient.

Traci is a local Bay Area chef so our newspaper ran an article about how she had a big party at her restaurant to view the episode. From the article, this was funny:

"If there is one specific thing that might make 'Iron Chef' ace Mario Batali lose this evening's competition to upstart chef Traci Des Jardins, it's his dessert: a frothy parfait made of ... shrimp remoulade? The strange confection has the television judges nearly gagging.

"I hate this," says judge Jeffrey Steingarten, renowned food writer, wincing as he turns the ingredients over in his mouth. Batali, a fixture on the Food Network, cookbook author and celebrity chef of Babbo Ristorante e Enoteca in Manhattan, winces in response....

[Des Jardins] takes the microphone briefly. "The unedited version of that comment was, 'I hate this so much I want to throw it on the ground.'"

Well, I had to laugh. I still love Mario, though.

Hubby says, when will they learn not to make desserts with seafood?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest
    "If there is one specific thing that might make 'Iron Chef' ace Mario Batali lose this evening's competition to upstart chef Traci Des Jardins, it's his dessert: a frothy parfait made of ... shrimp remoulade? The strange confection has the television judges nearly gagging.

"I hate this," says judge Jeffrey Steingarten, renowned food writer, wincing as he turns the ingredients over in his mouth. Batali, a fixture on the Food Network, cookbook author and celebrity chef of Babbo Ristorante e Enoteca in Manhattan, winces in response....

[Des Jardins] takes the microphone briefly. "The unedited version of that comment was, 'I hate this so much I want to throw it on the ground.'"

Well, I had to laugh. I still love Mario, though.

Hubby says, when will they learn not to make desserts with seafood?
    lol, I'm with the judges and your hubby on that one! I was lol in real life when I watched that one female judge's face when she tasted that shrimp dessert

Fort Member
    I love the Japanese version and totally agree that most of the food that the chefs prepare we would never consider eating. I remember one episode where I think the theme ingredient was milk, what the chefs mixed with it and the results were amazing but there is no way in hell I would eat any of it as it truly sounded revolting. But I love the translations and often wonder if the people translating are having as much fun as they sound like. Its so fake and cheesy and thats what makes it worth watching. Doubt we will ever see the American verison but without the whole over the top Japanese game type feel to the whole thing I doubt it would appeal to me as much

+ Reply to Thread