+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Haul

Town Haul

Ok, this show started last night and from the looks of the first episode, I am a bit dissapointed in it. It seems like they are doing things to create "TV Drama."
    The first place they are going to redo is the ice cream stand, and they give the lady 2 hours to remove everything out of it when it they should have had at least 8 hours.. Thats the dumbest thing I have ever seen since Hildy decided she could decorate a room. Basically all the family could do is throw the stuff on the back of a truck and haul it off to their basement. Then they put one of the daughters in charge, but she has to work a full time job and can't take off 3-4 weeks to do the tv star thing. At the end of the show last night she was pissed about the treatment, saying that after the show she still has to live there and work there and even though her job isn't much, its all there is in that little burg of 450. I thought Gwenevire would be involved with something a bit more high class instead of this crap. From the previews, their "lets make some drama here for tv" blows up in their faces as the project manager for the next one walks off and tells them to stick it. If this keeps up, I know where the remote is for my tv and can change the channel with no trouble at all.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Well I watched it, but I wasn't that impressed.

#1 - Kelly was suppose to be the heart and soul of the community? Then please send her and her family to a counselor and sell the ice cream shop. And someone please shoot me if I ever decide to relocate to Jeffersonville, NY.

#2 - They decide to expand the footprint of the ice cream shop but no one consults the property map? questions property line set-backs, etc., etc.? That's just plain stupid and incompetent.

#3 - No one seems to have considered in the design the work-flow of the shop?

#4 - The daughter who was volunteered Army-style to be the job foreman (with no life experience other than having worked with her mother in the shop) had every right to be upset not only because she was in over her head but also because they expected her to be at the job site when she was suppose to be working. Who had the stupid idea to assign laypeople to serve as a construction foreman/supervisor?

I agree... I wasn't impressed, for all of the reasons that you guys cited.

I would have also thought they would have obtained a more cohesive team. Genevieve doesn't appear to have much control over Ray Romano... Ray and Jimmy don't work well together, etc. It looks like they met when they all pulled into town.

I didn't feel too sympathetic towards Bridget as she was a little snot. But she was definitely in way over her head and her job should have been considered before they put such a time commitment on her. Shame on them!

FORT Newbie
    I think people fail to realize this is for entertainment. They edit and clip things to make them appear exactly as they want for more of "shock value." There is a new show next week with Doug Wilson, where the new owners let the old owners of a house see what they've done. That ought to be interesting. I just watch these shows to get ideas for remodeling, redecorating, and figure the rest is just television. I do like Genevieve though. Of all the designers on Trading Spaces, she is consistently one of my favorites.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I felt sorry for that poor kid Bridget who had to keep explaining why she had to *gasp* keep sneaking off to work . You know, her real job. 99% of people don't give a crap about some tv people blowing through town, and she was probably told that. Then she had to come on site, and deal with everyone bitching at her from the other side . Fun stuff for a young girl.

The two hour clean out was stupid. They had weeks before they started building/ filming. there was zero reason to do that.

Part of what I do is applications for additions/ changes to property , I know its one hell of a nightmare sometimes. They would have had to have all of the plans/ drawings submitted before they laid a shovel in the ground. It would have also have to be done by an architect and not scribbled on the back of a Mcdonalds bag.

Real World - You have to submit to a commitee who accepts or rejects it . If you go over the pre approved lot line set backs from the lot boundaries as spelled out by the city, town, county etc in question , you have to apply for and be granted a variance.

They post a notice in the papers and send letters to all of the neighbors saying joe blow is going to do bla bla bla . There will a meeting on XXX date to make a decision. They will all show up and complain about it , or write a letter to complain about it , or have their lawyer send a letter to complain about it.
    You gather all of your material and make speech to a group of about eight sour faced individuals , and it kind of reminds you of that speech you did in eighth grade on Albert Einstein, only you know they will ask you a whole lot of questions.
    They give you a decision about a week later. Gen ( or production staff) would have had to do this for each and every project.

When the dude decided to go and offer a 1000 bucks for two feet of property so the deck guy wouldn't have to redesign the deck because it was on the other guys property, the real estate lawyers of America gave a collective gasp. That ain't how it happens.

It was so unorganized. I know it's a small town, but I have dealt with county offices, and find them to be just as fussy when it comes to being "up to code".
    Last edited by eny; 01-23-2005 at 05:16 PM.

FORT Fan
    Hmmm. And I'd wondered if it was just me.

Ditto to everything the others have already posted. Can't emphasize enough, though, how irritating that Kelly chick was. I swear my ears bled whenever I listened to her talk. And how about some classes in manners and respect for her and her brood? This is the heart and soul of the town? They aint got much to recommend them, do they?

The only way I would watch the second half of this disaster is if... No, scratch that. There's nothing that could persuade me to watch this disaster again.

Great concept. Lousy execution.

Oh I plan to watch next week just to see the ex hippie walk off the job. This is going to be two "project managers" that get pissed off by being jerked around by the show just to have some "drama". I wanted to watch this show to see how they redid the town, not to watch a bunch of B******t induced drama for "good tv". I liked Gwen, thought the show would be better than this.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Well said.

Can't begin to describe how disappointed I am in the premiere, but let's try.

1) I, too, like Genevieve Gorder. Is it because of her sex appeal? Eeehhh. Sure. Why not? But I like her sense of style and her eye toward design. I thought the project was ambitious, and represented the best, most fundamental idea of what makes TV interesting: The "How are they going to pull this off??" aspect.

At the risk of sounding touchy-feely, I thought part of the appeal of this show would be in seeing the TH crew help these people increase (or develop) more civic pride in their hometown. Instead, they go for the exploitive. Is exploitation a two-way street? Sure. Especially when it comes to "reality." I'm willing to bet these folks gave up some privacy in exchange for what will be millions in labor and supplies. Probably seemed like one hell of a good trade-off before Gen blew into town. Probably seems less so now that they've met this crew of jackasses.

2) Ray Romano. Everybody doesn't love Raymond. From what hole did this palooka crawl out? If I use the leaf blower early on a Sunday, I'm well aware I may get a neighbor on my driveway telling me not to be so noisy so early. Didn't this crew realize that good relations, good PR, was going to go a long way toward making this project a success with the locals? Romano is not the goodwill ambassador who's going to sell these projects and get everyone behind the team. Sure, sure, PR is not his job. His job is general contracting. But he doesn't have to go so far out of his way to alienate the people whose cooperation they need to make this a success. Jackass!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I've never liked Gen so wasn't really expecting to like this show much.
    She seems nice enough, but I hate her design style.
    How much shabby chic and rust do we need to see?
    I think I saw maybe two rooms of hers during her time on TS that I liked and there was always something within those rooms thast I really didn't like.

I agree that they seem to be trying to create drama.
    I doubt I'll be watching again.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32

2) Ray Romano. Everybody doesn't love Raymond. From what hole did this palooka crawl out?
    Add me to the "non loving Raymond" list, I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    If I use the leaf blower early on a Sunday, I'm well aware I may get a neighbor on my driveway telling me not to be so noisy so early.
    Depending on where you live, you just might get your ass handed to you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast