+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Haul

One the biggest problems I had with this show was Ray's treatment of Bridget. I don't know if the expectations of Project Manager were ever spelled out for her before the role was offered, but if I were in her shoes, I would have assumed that being Project Manager was more in line with being handed "the keys to the city"--a ceremonial role. The fact that they expected her to act as foreman (and disregard her other real-life responsibilities, even when she brought them up) was callous and irresponsible.

Also, I have done construction work. I currently work in a heavy industrial environment. Safety was and is of the utmost concern. From what I could see, some of what they asked Bridget to do was downright dangerous, and no one with any experience should ever ask a young girl (without proper boots and proper safety training?) to go crawling around on a half-finished surface doing construction.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Well, in spite of having decided not to watch this show... Tonight I had to take a friend to the urgent care center after she cut herself and needed stitches, and while waiting in the waiting room, the television was on and set to TLC, and Town Haul was on. Since it was either stare at the other people or watch the show, I watched the show

I have to say this show is disgusting. The townspeople were shown in such a way as to make them seem like boobs, and yet at the same time it was clear that it was due to editing. I don't have any idea what any of the Jeffersonville townsfolk are really like, but it was so clear that they were frustrated and stressed out by the cameras in their faces and constant filming of their every move. When they showed the ice cream shop owner (was it Kelly?) as she was trying to get dressed, do her hair, put her makeup on, I felt so bad for her. You could just feel the stress level emanating from her. And I really didn't like the way they played around with Duke and Cowboy Bob (was that his name?) and their feelings. I felt they were really patronizing to Duke when they could have handled that situation much better.

And when I heard Gen talking about how things were going wrong, such as all the plumbers and electricians in town weren't available because they were busy, and other things like that... all I could think of was how poorly organized and conceived the show was. How could they schedule this Town Haul thing for certain dates and not have checked on local skilled labor availability?!? They just show up one day and expect the entire town workforce to stop everything and kowtow to their production schedule? What kind of common sense is lacking in the production staff not to have checked things like that out? :rolleyes

I am glad the ice cream shop owner seemed to like her new shop, though. But it just seems like TLC is going out of it's way to make this small town seem more like a hicksville than it most likely is -- if it is at all. This is just in poor taste, imho.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I felt a WEEEEEEE bit better after the second episode, alteast I got some completion this time....although perhaps a bit too much of it packing two things now into one episode and leaving out a too much of the middle part of how they actually got done.

I really hope they found some good people to take care of Cowboy Bob's cats I hated that he had to do that, but unfortunately I do understand (being as I live in a pet restricted apartment myself and had to leave behind 2 cats and 2 ferrets when I moved in here). I really hope he's doing well and enjoying his new place.

FORT Newbie
    Dear ENY and Libra, Things did get better my shop is great!Gen did do the design, she just had so much going on at once,She really is very sweet.Construction took about a month on Kelly's.We had atleast 6weeks of filming on us it was alittle draining at the end.Hope I did the right thing, its not a easy thing to do but it was fun! Not all you see is really how it was, they delete alot,and add alot to cause more drama and chaos! Like I need anymore(haha)Hope you like the rest of the shows! Thanks Kelly

FORT Newbie
    Peeps, Thanks for sticking up for Bridget, Like how can you blame a 18yr old for construction delays! She never thought that they would really expect her to run the crew, she thought it was just for the camera! She is a fiesty little thing though! She's really a good kid,I thank god for her everyday! All my kids are great although they make us look like all we do is fight, we are really very close! Thanks again guys for listening to me! Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    I felt a WEEEEEEE bit better after the second episode, alteast I got some completion this time....although perhaps a bit too much of it packing two things now into one episode and leaving out a too much of the middle part of how they actually got done.

I really hope they found some good people to take care of Cowboy Bob's cats I hated that he had to do that, but unfortunately I do understand (being as I live in a pet restricted apartment myself and had to leave behind 2 cats and 2 ferrets when I moved in here). I really hope he's doing well and enjoying his new place.
    I liked this epi better than the first one also. BUT - I was really irritated about Cowboy Bob's new landlord not allowing all of his animals. He had to have known how many animals CB had. I thought it was pretty cruel. I have two cats and would NEVER get rid of them because someone told me to. In the first epi, the landlord and his wife seemed like really kind people, but I changed my mind after watching CB having to find homes for his pets.

I know that CB's situation is special, but that almost makes it worse. They knew that he hardly had a choice in moving and yet they still made him get rid of his pets. Can you tell I'm really attached to my cats?

On the topic of skilled workers being scarce - just another example of poor planning and how "TV People" think that everyone cares about being on television. On the other hand, it IS a small town and I don't know how close it is to other towns. There may not be very many people in the area who are qualified to do electrical, plumbing, etc.

Also - there has to be a better system for choosing the project manager rather than foisting the job on some unsuspecting citizen. Maybe they could ask for volunteers? Maybe that IS what they're doing and they aren't showing it, but Duke looked pretty surprised when Gen annouced that he was going to be PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Newbie
    CB pets are being well cared for, CB however is in the hospital he will be ok but its a real long story! I talked with him today he will be in about another month. The landlords really are good people and tried to do the right thing.He took two of the animals after he was told only two pets, they were worried that it would be too much for him to handle and honestly it was way too much! Its so complicated I don't even want to think about it right now but CB and the animals are doing fine. There are many fine gifted craftsman in Jeffersonville, the problem was they these people have familys to support and could not donate enough time to complete such huge projects like CB appartment or my place. In the end they wound up hiring contractors to finish but it was quite stressful. This was the first of the series to which I hope they have learned from. I really believe they meant well it just lacked orginization and communication.I'm hoping South Carolina went smoother for them. It really was fun and exciting experience, even with the drama!

Quote Originally Posted by kellyskones
    This was the first of the series to which I hope they have learned from. I really believe they meant well it just lacked orginization and communication.
    Kelly, I'm curious about something, and I'll understand if you prefer not to answer this question.

You mentioned that redoing your store took about a month. For most businesses, shutting down for a month is a lot of lost revenue that they depend on. Did Town Haul compensate you in any way for a month's lost sales? Even though you did get a remodeled store, that's a long time to not be in business.

And on another note, I'd like to say that one thing I did find touching in the one episode I saw was the father/daughter relationship between Bridget and her dad. In that spot where she told her dad about the new ice cream machine they got for you and swore her dad to secrecy, I just thought that was a really nice moment.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Newbie
    Nemeses,I was so happy they put Bridget and her Dad in, it shows her for the daughter she is with no drama! I was shut down for the month of October which is my last month of the season, with all of the activity in town I would have had quite the buisness, but in the long run I think I will make it up. We were going to put a new floor in over the winter and I was dreading the thought of it with the way everything was crammed together in there. I wouldn't have been able to take it to the degree that they took it to! Now I can put the time and money into my house. We had just bought both not long ago, within months of each other and both needed so much work you don't know where to begin and with six kids its had to start and finish a project something is always coming up! But Bridget and her boyfriend and our oldest daughter and her husband finished the kitchen for me as a surprise while I was away in Nov. and they did a awesome job! Now trying to get some more done in this big old house before the store opens. Kelly

Thanks for answering, Kelly. I'm really glad that everything seems to be going great for you and your family then I think with all the stress and pressure Town Haul has put you, your family, and the town through, I would like to think that the people who matter most -- you guys, not us viewers or the show -- are the ones who get the most and lasting benefits.

Although reality television viewers may seem to thrive on the drama, and only the drama, there are so many, especially here at FoRT, who don't like exploitation for exploitation's sake, or drama for drama's sake alone. Real people do have drama in their lives, all of us do. But I hope you know that there are a great many viewers who watch and try to see the real people behind the editing of the film, and try to understand that what we see on 'reality tv' is rarely 'reality', and that there's much more to the story.

I know you came here to FoRT for a specific reason, but I hope you'll stay with us. You're a great addition to the FoRT family, and you certainly have a unique perspective

+ Reply to Thread