+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Haul

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    While I love Genevieve's personality, her design skills, not so much. Yet I was willing to see what the show had to offer. I was expecting to see the redesigning of a town, to see if there was a plan. The Idea is very intriguing, coming from a small midwestern town that could use a sprucing up. TLC kind of promoted it as Extreme Makeover - hometown edition, but it's not. The format of the show seems to be much more about the turmoil that the show has on the lives of the people of the town. I'll give it a few more episodes, but I'm not really holding out a lot of hope.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

H2O
    I watched too after seeing Genevieve on CNN. She pitched it as a show that cares about the community and doesn't do shock decorating.

The Ice Cream Stand owner Kelly was extremely annoying. Loud, snoopy, and Loud - she grated on my nerves.

Why didn't we see a concept of the design explained before they just started having at it?

The deck on top of the building was a better choice than a narrow one to the side, so the property line error worked to the design's benefit.

The daughter job foreman - ridiculous that she was expected to be there. Why? She didn't know what needed to be done next. She didn't add anything to the project other than putting the kibosh on bad window placement. When she explained she lived on her own and needed to work - who could fault her?

The 2 hour clean out was a unneccessary. It was done for no other reason than TV drama.

I was bugged they didn't complete the redo in a single episode. Do one remodel per episode.

Interesting. So do you mean they don't finish the entire town in one episode, or is it that they don't finish an indiviual project within the town in one episode?

I haven't caught the show yet, but following this thread to see if I even want to try, lol. Can always rely on FoRTers to give good reviews
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses
    Interesting. So do you mean they don't finish the entire town in one episode, or is it that they don't finish an indiviual project within the town in one episode?
    BOTH!! They didn't do the actual reveal of the ice cream shop after I'd zoned out did they? (I'd rather forget that I watched the show so I may not be remembering correctly) I'm not a happy camper with this show at all, and I'm actually a Gen fan, which was why I tuned in to check it out.....I'll make that mistake one more week just to watch the new project manager walk off the job, but that's where it's gonna end for me.

Here's hoping that Doug's new show will be better than this waste of my time was!

FORT Newbie
    I was just being a snoop and looking for feed back on the show. Thank god most people aren't as neg. as most of you! Just wanted to set the record straight on a few things to enlighten those who are so quick to pass judgment on people you don't even know. First why do we need a counselor anymore than any other american family? maybe because we put ourselves on the front line for the rest of the world to see and we weren't phony because a camera was in our face! As for being the heartbeat of the town they were not my words and I have never claimed to be the heartbeat of the town or pretended to be! As for my voice if you don't like it o'well I can't judge yours because I haven't heard it, but I bet it's not as wonderful as you would like it to be either.As for being loud, yes I am, I was actually reserved for the show, thank god for small favors!The 2hrs. to clean out was yes sheer drama for the show that I really didn't need, but that's television. Now as for being a snoop only a hypocrite will sit back and say they wouldn't have been nosy, but did they set it up alittle, what do you think? They also did have surveys but Ray took it upon himself to ignore that. My neighbors are wonderful people who had to look out for themselves also. Now as far as Bridget goes she did not ask for the job of project manager but put a camera in front of your kids face and see if they wouldn't have taken it! She never claimed to have any construction knowledge or pretended to. She took 2 weeks off from work for the project but filming fell behind and she had to go back to work. Before next week airs I'll let you know now that my husband does blow up about the lack of counter space and set up of equipment. I realize that you people do not know me from a hill of beans (was that woodchuck enough for you) but unless you are put in the same situation you really have no room to pass such harsh judgment! One more thing I'd like to add is although the condition of the inside of the ice-cream stand was very cluttered the dirt on the floor and the mess was due to the fact that they were filming while we were doing the load-out of the building and throwing everything around, they also proceeded to rip off the back deck of the building leaving a huge pile of mud that was tracked in and out of the building for days while it was closed. They had shut me down 2days prior to the announcement that I had 2hrs. to empty the building. Up until that point I only knew that they were putting a deck on the roof. So keep in mind when you pass judgment that some extra drama has to be created for the sake of the show. I realize that not everybody will like the show, but I also know they're are people who think it's great. Was I thinking when they talked me into dressing up like a man that 1.8 million people would be watching,hell no! Because if I had stopped to think about it I probably would not have done it. But you get so caught up in it all that you throw good sense and caution to the wind and go for it! And you know what I'm glad I did it was a wonderful and fun experience and I'm glad I had it! Hell we made Womans Day mag. and Times Square that's a once in a life time thing so if my voice had to annoy a few thousand people to have that experience then so be it! To those of you who were not so critical thank you for your support and to those of you who were all I can ask is how much better of a job do you think you could of done? Because trust me it wasn't as simple or easy as it appears! Thanks for letting me vent! Kelly

Kelly, just out of curiousity....was Gen actually doing the design for your place? Maybe I was expecting something completely different, but I was under the impression from the previews that she'd have more of a hand in things, not just stopping by occasionally to check on them (which is what it seemed like). I dunno, maybe I've been spoiled by shows like Extreme Makeover Home Edition, where they complete everything in one episode as well, cause I felt really empty not getting the total package makeover at the end of the show. (possibly they could have just done one longer special and I'd be a helluva lot happier)

Also, how long did it actually end up taking? I see you mentioned that your daughter took 2 weeks off work (and by the way, it was great to see a fellow deli worker on tv ) and that wasn't enough to complete the project, what was the total timeframe? I've been thru complete remodels at work and know that we've experienced up to 2-3 months while they finish everything, and I can imagine that things aren't exactly "workable" for y'all....we had those issues as well cause those writing our plans have no experience with our true daily needs. Hopefully you've managed to get things the way you need them to work now and are back into a normal routine.

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses
    BOTH!!
    Thanks for answering, libra

Okay, I think that's enough for me to not even bother tuning in then. I'm with the other poster here who said she wants closure of some kind at the end of each episode. So I'll be passing on this show.

Thanks to all of you for your reviews, and to Kelly for your input from another perspective. I'm so glad FoRT is here. Time is precious enough without wasting it on a show like this. Thanks guys!
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

starving
    That creepy Ray Ramano wouldn't provide the signboards I needed to paint KellysKones signs until the last minute the creep.

Mikey

starving
    Wait till you see what else they filmed.

Mikey

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Thanks Kelly and Mikey . I'm on the other side I think the TLC people could have made things way more easy for you and the town instead of making it like a like an ordeal. It's shaping up to be a disaster. I really hope things did turn out well in the end for the town, because the whole thing appeared to be poorly planned and poorly executed.

I too tuned to see an extreme makeover type experience. I didn't like seeing your poor daughter get chewed out. They had no reason to make her in charge of a project with zero experience other than knowing the retail end end of the ice cream business.

Tell us this thing gets better.

+ Reply to Thread