+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EM:HE Preview 01/16: The Anderson Family

EM:HE Preview 01/16: The Anderson Family

In March 2000, Rodney Anderson of South Central Los Angeles was on his way to the NBA and a degree in social work, thanks to a full basketball scholarship from California State University at Fullerton (CSUF). On a rare day off from practice, he came home to have dinner with his family. Afterwards, he went for a walk -- the last time he would do so. Gang members approached Rodney and shot him in the back, thinking he was a rival gang member, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down, with little movement in his arms.

Since the accident, it has been a constant struggle for Rodney and his family. His mother, Martha, had to quit her job and his sister, Glenda, moved into the small, dilapidated house in order to care for Rodney, who is now 22 years old. A year to the day of Rodney's accident, his father, Joe, was involved in a car accident and had to have three toes amputated. During his recovery period, the family was in dire financial need.

With assistance from the state of California and former assemblyman Carl Washington, a contractor was hired to begin work on the Anderson home to make it wheelchair-accessible for Rodney. But the contractor never returned to complete the job and left were gaping holes where there should have been walls, leaving the house exposed to the elements and making it almost completely uninhabitable.

Rodney was restricted to two rooms in the house, which included the dining room that had been converted into his bedroom. The three-bedroom, one-bath house, which was built in 1911 and is 1424 sq. feet, was in such bad shape that the living room ceiling was on the verge of collapsing and the floorboards couldn't bear the weight of Rodney's wheelchair.

Last year, Rodney proposed to Monique Allen, his girlfriend for the past five years. Since Rodney's accident, they haven't been able to be alone much and they miss taking long walks on the beach.

Rodney is an honor student at CSUF and attends classes and basketball games in a wheelchair. While Rodney and his fiancee Monique, along with his parents, sister Glenda and her three children, Mellone, 19, Louis, 16 and 12-year-old Cordney, went on vacation to the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island in the Bahamas, CSUF held a special campus event where Rodney's basketball number was retired.

Thanks for the preview.

I enjoyed this show, as usual. There were a few tearful moments, naturally.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

This was my favorite episode to date of this show. Ty and the crew really outdid themselves this week.

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition- The Anderson family

I sobbed through this entire episode. Rodney Anderson was an aspiring basketball player who received a full basketball scholarship to Cal State Fullerton. One tragic day, he was walking to a friend's house to talk him into going back to school and was shot 4 times leaving him a quadrapalegic. Later, his sister moved in to the house with her 2 kids to help take care of him. So now in the house is Rodney, his fiancee, Monique, his sister (Can't remember her name), her 2 boys: Cortney and Louis and his parents Joseph and Martha (?). They hired a contractor to renovate the house to make it wheelchair accessable for Rodney. The contractors punched a couple of holes in the house, took the money and ran leaving the house with a leaky roof, holes all over the place and an oven as the only heat source for the house. Enter The Extreme Team. Ty, Preston, Tracy, Paige and Ed send the family to the Bahamas for 7 days and decide they are going to build not one but 2 houses. The main family will be in front with Rodney and Monique having their own house in back.
    This project proves very trying, however, when one by one, things start to go wrong. Including a sudden rain storm stopping production.
    Night 6 comes and Ty realizes there is no way they are going to finish in 7 days. For the first time ever, Ty calls the family and tells them to stay in the Bahamas for an 8th day. (Oh, how terrible. We gotta stay in a tropical paradise for another day).
    On day 7, Ty realizes that his team is tired and takes them on a walk right in front of where Rodney was shot. He proceeds to play the 911 tape that of course sends Paige into racks of sobs being embraced by a crying Preston. They're reminded of why they're there and immediately get back to work. Ty arranges for Rodney to give Monique a real engagement ring and secretly plans with the team to throw them a wedding when they get back.
    The Andersons come home at 10:30 on Night 8 to 2 beautiful houses and the show ends with a small, intimate wedding ceremony with Preston playing guitar.
    Can someone tell me where Paul and Connie have been? Are they not on anymore?
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

There is already a thread over here: EM:HE Preview 01/16: The Anderson Family

Great episode overall! I really liked that superman contraption.

Premium Member
    I bawled through almost the whole thing. It was wonderful how they were able to give Rodney his independence back. I loved this family.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    My eyes are red today. I cried through the entire episode. The only thing that I would have changed was to have Rodney be home for the Jersey Dedication Ceremony.

I can't wait to see the "How'd they do that?" tonight. I'd like to know how many hours were lost with the gas leak and the rain.
    Could does not mean should

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27
    My eyes are red today. I cried through the entire episode. The only thing that I would have changed was to have Rodney be home for the Jersey Dedication Ceremony.
    I thoroughly agree. I am surprised that had not been done in between the accident and the home being rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl
    Can someone tell me where Paul and Connie have been? Are they not on anymore?
    Hear ye, Hear ye....especially Paul....I love Paul

Where oh where can Paul be?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast