+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Fighter (SpikeTV)

FORT Newbie

how about this scenario?

how about this scenario : Bobby asks for a rematch with bonnar, Team couture agrees only if there is a rematch between Josh and Chris wow! that would be extreme!

That was a pretty brutal beatdown last night. I'm glad Josh R. got his butt kicked by Diego. He didn't want to fight anyone and he was clearly afraid of Josh K., Kenny and Diego.

Too bad about Nate having to get surgery on his ankle. I wonder if they'll offer him a spot on TUF2 if they do another one. I think Bobby may have burned his bridge with the UFC, although I felt the UFC prez was being a jerk to him.

Spike overdubbed the preview for next week. I couldn't make much out. Kenny was ticked off, so I'm guessing he's sent to Team Couture to even up the sides. It looks like Forrest fights too. Too bad he can't fight Sam (the traitor). That guy is really irritating me.

As usual, I missed it last night. It comes on at midnight here, so there's no way I'm going to stay up that late for this.

I do have to say these fights totally suck compared to last night's Contender fight, and the athletes on the Contender are true sportsmen, while these guys are a bunch of punks. UFC fights are usually much more entertaining than the BS they've been giving us so far.

So who was the surprise return? Did Leben come back?
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

I've been watching this on Mondays, and maybe someone can answer this for me. Back years ago, we used to get "ultimate fighting" videos, (the Gracies, etc were around even back then) but it was a lot different; no wight classes, and no rules other than no eye poking and one other that I can't remember. (no biting? Groin punching actually WAS allowed). The loser either had to submit or get knocked out, there were no decision wins. Does anyone know, was the sport changed for legal reasons, to increase popularity, or what?
    I do agree that "The Contender" is much better as a fighting show; those guys look much more prepared than on this (ufc) one.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

The older UFC in the early 90's had minimal rules. Due to political pressure, the UFC was getting banned from cable TV providers in the mid-90's. They had to adopt more rules in order to get sanctioned by state athletic bodies (specifically New Jersey and Nevada) and get back on the pay-per-view channels of cable providers otherwise it would cease to exist.

I think the cream will rise to the top and the fights will be more competitive and better as the weaker fighters like Josh R. get eliminated. Last night was a total mismatch. The fight actually resembled an older UFC when a more skilled fighter beatdown a scrub! I follow the sport closely and before the show started, fans had their eye on Diego, Chris L., Nate and Josh K. in the MW division and Forrest, Bobby and Stephan in the LHW division. Diego, Chris L., Josh K., Forrest and Stephan are still in it. I think the best is yet to come.

We were just talking about this earlier. I was wondering what's happened to the UFC in general. I too remember the Gracie days, and for the past few years it seems they have been attracting a totally different breed of fighters. No class, no sportsmanship. I can't think of any fighter in the current UFC celebritocracy that comes close to the caliber of the Gracies in skill or quality of game.

So I take it Leben came back. What sort of weird twist brought that? Please someone let me know, I can't wait til Saturday. Spoil me.

corprip, the guy who has been using crutches (don't remember his name) the past couple of weeks was finally let go because he was told he had a very bad injury and he was given the chance to select a previously ousted contestant to come back in and take his place because he didnt 'lose' per se. At least that is how I remembered it. I was sort of half watching at the time.

Thanks Karen!

Fabulous drama. Nate is such a tricky boy. He got all fatherly with Chris and probably not only felt he owed it to Chris, but also gave the other guys a little payback. Good thing Bobby's gone. I bet Josh was trippin' without his Daddy there to protect him.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion PIMguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corprip
    We were just talking about this earlier. I was wondering what's happened to the UFC in general. I too remember the Gracie days, and for the past few years it seems they have been attracting a totally different breed of fighters. No class, no sportsmanship. I can't think of any fighter in the current UFC celebritocracy that comes close to the caliber of the Gracies in skill or quality of game.
    But you have to remember that when UFC first came out the Gracie's were relatively unknown. And their style of fighting was relatively unknown. And Royce dominated all comers. Then, most martial artists realized that they had to cross-train to defeat someone like Royce, which has led us to the current UFC. Almost all fighters have standup and ground skills, so you don't see anyone dominating like Royce. I don't think its a lack of skill in the current UFC, but a leveling of the playing field.

As for TUF, I'm hoping for a Kenny Florian - Diego Sanchez MW final. Kenny's a BJJ black-belt and should have the ground skills to deal with Diego, but Diego is a monster. Should be a good fight. I'm not sure who I want in the light heavies. I've seen Forrest fight and he's amazing. I wasn't that impressed with Bonnar's performance against Bobby. I have no idea about Sam (other than speculation) and Alex S. is unknown to me. Maybe a Forrest-Bonnar final would be the most exciting. Oh yeah, Swick is still in there, but he seems to have faded into the background lately.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip
    So I take it Leben came back. What sort of weird twist brought that? Please someone let me know, I can't wait til Saturday. Spoil me.
    Nate's medical results came back, and he did indeed need surgery, so he could no longer compete. Ergo, they made him a "coach" and gave him the luxury of bringing back one former member to replace him. Weird, if you ask me.

And I was so disappointed not to see Diego's tiny white shorts this time around. Those were hilarious!

And some gossip: I hear Bobby's a major pothead. No wonder he's overweight.

+ Reply to Thread