+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Fighter (SpikeTV)

Quote Originally Posted by PIMguy View Post
    Rashad did indeed win but his style bores the heck out of me. He was able to take Bonnar down at will with his superior wrestling skills. But then he went into lay and pray mode. He was able to keep Bonnar down and was able to elude Bonnar's submission attempts. But, like I said, it bored me. I think they should get rid of judges. If nobody outright wins (KO, TKO, submission, etc.) at the end of the fight is is simply a draw. Watch how many fighters start FIGHTING when their records start looking like 4-3-72.
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. There are plenty of fights that go down to decisions that are exciting. Fedor and Wandy go balls out in every fight but yet they have decisions. Many times you can't avoid a decision.

The UFC needs to institute a yellow card policy like Pride. IE, if you are stalling and not doing anything to gain better position or finish the fight, you get a yellow card which is a 10% pay reduction. That happened in the Wandy vs Fujita fight this weekend and look how it turned out.

As for Rashad, his style is boring right now. Although, he was finally active towards the end of the fight. Rashad is still learning and I expect that he will continue to progress and learn how to pass the guard and be a more exciting fighter on the ground. Fighters already have incentive to be exciting because if they aren't they won't get as much money from endorsements nor will they get as good of contracts. Hell, look at Ken Shamrock vs Tito. This match is huge, but Shamrock is horrible. I doubt he would beat Rashad, but due to name recognition he will get a huge payday. If Rashad wants to get a huge payday in the future he'll need to be exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip View Post
    Rashad from Season 2? He beat Bonnar!?!? Wow.. he really does get underestimated. But then again, aside from Bonnar's fight with Forrest, I was never very impressed him him.
    Did you watch the fight? Bonnar continues to impress me with his all around skills. He's a good boxer, good kicker, and good submission artist. However, Rashad is a dominant wrestler and the outcome was not surprising.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion, Big Truck Adventure Champion, Tire Toss Champion, Little Protectors Champion PIMguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VectorWega View Post
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
    THE stupidest!!?? I'm honored.

Hey, in the early days of the UFC there was always a winner. Someone always got KOd or submitted or they quit, but there was always a winner. I know that we can't go back to those days, but let's not get too far away from that kill or be killed attitude. I think granting a win to someone who simply avoided losing should not be part of fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMguy View Post
    THE stupidest!!?? I'm honored.

Hey, in the early days of the UFC there was always a winner. Someone always got KOd or submitted or they quit, but there was always a winner. I know that we can't go back to those days, but let's not get too far away from that kill or be killed attitude. I think granting a win to someone who simply avoided losing should not be part of fighting.
    The first draw in the UFC was in UFC5.

In the early days, fighters were not nearly as skilled as they are now. This resulted in fast knockouts and fast submissions. Many of the guys back then had no clue how to even pull guard, so when someone like Royce went up against them it only took moments to submit them.

It had nothing to do with fighters trying harder. They were simply less well rounded and not as prepared defensively.

I agree that they should continue to make tweaks (just like the NFL does) in order to keep the fights interesting, but your idea will not accomplish what you want.

I had no clue there was another season, im kinda confused...
    The Ultimate fighter 4: The comeback?

Holy crap!!! I had no idea either. I'm glad I read this when I did, because it's on in 20 minutes!
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion, Big Truck Adventure Champion, Tire Toss Champion, Little Protectors Champion PIMguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VectorWega View Post
    The first draw in the UFC was in UFC5.

In the early days, fighters were not nearly as skilled as they are now. This resulted in fast knockouts and fast submissions. Many of the guys back then had no clue how to even pull guard, so when someone like Royce went up against them it only took moments to submit them.

It had nothing to do with fighters trying harder. They were simply less well rounded and not as prepared defensively.

I agree that they should continue to make tweaks (just like the NFL does) in order to keep the fights interesting, but your idea will not accomplish what you want.
    The first draw in UFC5 was a superfight and not part of the tournament (so there was no need for someone to win). And Shamrock was the first to adopt the "don't lose at all costs" attitude toward fighting. He knew surviving Royce at that time in history would be viewed as somewhat of a victory. It was, IMO, pathetic.

I disagree about fights ending in the early days because of lack of skill. Yes, there were some fighters who lost because of a lack of ground skills but I think the fact that they knew the fight would go on until someone won was an incentive to get it done quickly. After the shock of the first few UFCs fighters started training additional skills to beat their opponents. If you listen to some fighters today they talk about the importance of training to last 5 rounds.

I think fighters are starting to listen to Dana White and are trying not to leave the fight in the hands of the judges. But I still respect a fighter more when he goes out there to knock the other guy out or choke him out or submit him. Laying in someone's guard and not getting hit should never be a victory.

So.. the fight wasn't GREAT last night. Shonie looked a little washed up, but I'm glad he pulled it through. I'm not sure if any of these seasons will match the first season, but this one looks like it should be very good. I was so sick of the stupid, petty little drama of last season. Noah leaving for a girl; Rory and Ed Herman's ridiculous high school antics; the return of the perpetual loser, Jesse. It was just total crap. At least we have some professionals in the house this time.

(Oh and I know this is superficial, but I just think Edwin Dewees is absolutely darling. I hope they start showing more of him.)
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

The fight was good.
    Shonie is my favorite so far, he's crazy. But i did'nt catch the first 25 minutes so i did'nt really know what was going on until Dana explained Rich and Shonie's UFC careers during the "weight in" or w/e.
    But "The comback" really explains it all lol.

Tuf4

Shonie Carter is definitely the most colourful character ever in mixed martial arts. Matt Serra also came off well. He's a great teacher and trainer. He's Luke Cummo's trainer. The fight between Carter and Serra which they showed clips of is one of my favourite fights of all time.

This season of TUF4 will definitely have the best talent pool, best fights and most entertaining character (Carter) of all time.

+ Reply to Thread