+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EM:HE Preview 01/09: The Dore Family

EM:HE Preview 01/09: The Dore Family

ABC-TV'S "EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION" GOES TO WASHINGTON STATE
    TO PROVIDE A NEW HOME FOR A WIDOW WITH THREE DAUGHTERS
    WHOSE HOUSE BURNED TO THE GROUND

Centex Homes Builders, HomeAid America and Local Chapter HomeAid Seattle Metro
    Join the Design Team to Work Around the Clock to Build New House

Designer/Carpenter Ed Sanders Joins the EM:HE Team in This Episode

As a struggling widow of three daughters, Roseanne Dore is no stranger to hardship. The family was dealt a tremendous blow when their Kingston, Washington home, originally built by Roseanne and her husband, burned to the ground in March 2004. Following the devastating news of the fire, Roseanne found out that their home insurance policy lapsed when their agent retired. The structure was uninhabitable. While figuring out what to do, Roseanne moved her three daughters into a half-built, backyard utility shed that had no plumbing, electricity or running water. In an episode of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" airing SUNDAY, JANUARY 9 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network, the Dore family will be getting a very different home from the original 856 square ft. house, as well as new lives.

While living in the makeshift shelter, Roseanne's daughters - Jessica, 21, Sarah, 17 and Aariel, 13 -- went to friends' houses to shower. The entire family was stuck using an old doorless outhouse on the two-and-a-half acre property. One of the family's only wishes for their new home was to have indoor plumbing and bedrooms.

When not cooking on an outdoor propane camp stove, these ladies took inside to the shed to prepare food. Despite the absence of plumbing or electricity, Roseanne and her daughters still made the half-built shed their home and would invite family over for dinners.

Roseanne, who works as the cafeteria server at the local elementary school and is a Girl Scout leader, donates her property to the local Girl Scouts for campouts and outdoor excursions. Here the girls learned how to set up tents and survive in the outdoors.

The EM:HE team, hundreds of workers from national builder Centex Homes, HomeAid America and its local chapter, HomeAid Seattle Metro and volunteers from naval bases in Bermerton and Everett, Washington built a grand home from the ashes and rubble in just seven days. During that time the Dore family enjoyed a vacation at Disney World.

The design team for this episode of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" will feature team leader Ty Pennington, Paige Hemmis, Michael Moloney, Ed Sanders and Preston Sharp.

"Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" is produced by Endemol USA, a division of Endemol Holding. The series is executive-produced by Tom Forman and on this episode, Denise Cramsey served as co-executive producer.

This program carries a TV-PG parental guideline.

Okay, tonight's episode was absolutely wonderful!

No small surprise, but I actually started getting weepy in the FIRST five minutes. To see this family's burned down shell of a house was a shock. And to really see what the *shed* was like that they were living in? Simply amazing. I don't know how in the world they did it for nine months.

I think they indicated that the final house (maybe with the combined bread and breakfast?) was over 3000 square feet. I really loved the openness of the downstairs rooms, and also loved the coloring of the hardwood floors.

After all was said and done, the company that built the house had apparently received donations from all of their employees... enough to raise $71000 for the three girls' education fund.

Great episode.

It was fun for me because it was local. I thought it was great that Ty got the Navy to help out.

Another great episode...

FWIW it seems to have made the media all over the area (I live about 20 minutes from the house).

I will say that i thought it amusing that they chose to emphasise the remoteness of the location (so much so that they went without the bus), even though they could have easily brought the bus (as in over the Tacoma Narrows bridge). I'm guessing they wanted to emphasise the water portion.

Its a beautiful town with strong Marittime and yachting roots. Mrs. senrik and I strolled around the town last summer and found a lot of little shops, with cute little things, a nautical shop, all by the Edmunds/Kingston Ferry.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Such a great episode! I only caught the last 30 minutes or so, but I thought the family just seemed so appreciative and always in good spirits. By the way, that house is a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

I loved the show but my practical side was disturbed with the two B&B rooms. No one can make much money from just two rooms. The girls need to start making that shed liveable if they expect to make any money.
    The house really is beautiful though and I'm happy for them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    I loved the show but my practical side was disturbed with the two B&B rooms. No one can make much money from just two rooms. The girls need to start making that shed liveable if they expect to make any money.
    The house really is beautiful though and I'm happy for them all.
    living in the area (Kitsap County), and seeing the B&B rates (75-150/night/room) I think she wont get rich, but she'll be able to supplement her NKJHS salary.

the local angle....
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...akeover10.html
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Rab
    If I'm not mistaken the story was first printed in WA newspapers late November/early December. It was the moment I was waitin' for and it was an awesome episode. :o

I just want to know...where is Paul? The new guy is cute but I miss Paul.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast