+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EM Home Edition 11/28: The Burns Family

EM Home Edition 11/28: The Burns Family

When Benjamin Burns was born in 1997, he was an apparently healthy baby boy. Six months later, Benjamin's sister was playing with her baby brother and, when he started to fall, she reached out to help him. But when she grabbed his arm, she unknowingly fractured it. In the weeks that followed, routine tasks performed by Benjamin's parents resulted in more visits to the hospital and led to the discovery that his arm had been re-injured and he had a fractured skull.

Eventually, Child Protective Services was called and Benjamin was separated for three months from his parents, who were accused of child abuse. Nothing could have been further from the truth, and loving parents Gerald and Ellen Burns spent every resource they had trying to get their son back and prove their innocence. When it was finally diagnosed that Benjamin suffers from Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OI), a genetic disorder characterized by bones that break easily, the Burns were cleared of the abuse charges and allowed to bring their son home.

Man, Mr. T looks all used up. I know he was sick--I suppose he never fully recovered.

For some reason this episode seemed a bit badly paced to me.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Krom, it was a little helter skelter, wasn't it?

The rooms were very cool. Loved the guitar room for the older brother and the fashion design room for the sister, but.... I thought Ben's bedroom was a little lacking. The rubber wallboards seemed a little askew (there looked like there were gaps in places) and the bed just seemed too hard.

I thought it was hilarious that he was most thrilled by the garage full of boxes. Isn't that always the case? I've seen my nephews get more excited by the boxes at Christmas than the actual toys (when they were really young.)
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    I wonder why they would build them a three car garage but not give them a new car like they do with the other families. I thought this family was lacking in not only volunteer construction workers but prizes as well. What did the father get? Usually, everyone in the family gets something special. I still like the episode though.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Man, Mr. T looks all used up. I know he was sick--I suppose he never fully recovered.

For some reason this episode seemed a bit badly paced to me.
    How old is Mr T? He must be 80 by now
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

It was a good show, but I think the reason it didn't really seem up to par was because it wasn't a tear-jerker like they normally are. I didn't even come close to crying once. Also, they already had a big house (or so it appeared) and although I know they needed an update to make it safer for Ben, I prefer to see the shows where the homeowners are really in desperate need of a new house; not just a makeover.

Maybe the reason there were no vehicles was because the materials they used for Ben (rubber, etc) cost so much more than normal construction materials and their budget was used up (I know, I know - there really doesn't appear to be a budget for this show - anything goes so it seems, but that is the only guess I have).

The somewhat lackluster feeling I had at the end of the show, I attributed to the fact that I missed the first 20 minutes of this episode. After reading your posts above, maybe that's not the reason. Let me just say that I was a little 'underwhelmed'.....like some of you have said above, I'm happy the Burns were helped, and I'm sorry Ben has the disabilities he does, but it did seem a little lacking. Maybe it's just getting to the point where I'm expecting too much.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBug
    Maybe the reason there were no vehicles was because the materials they used for Ben (rubber, etc) cost so much more than normal construction materials and their budget was used up (I know, I know - there really doesn't appear to be a budget for this show - anything goes so it seems, but that is the only guess I have).
    Plus they gave the older sister a full scholarship to the fashion school.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Plus they gave the older sister a full scholarship to the fashion school.
    That's right, Broadway. I knew there was something else, but couldn't think of what it was. Thanks for the reminder.

+ Reply to Thread