+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The reality is, reality TV is fading

~FO SCHIZZLE ALL THE WAY~ SwiffyPortillo's Avatar
    There was a time when most reality shows were good, but now it's just gotten out of control.
    "Greg talks into a coconut and thinks it's a phone,"- Colleen Haskell, 'SURVIVOR: BORNEO'.

I could argue that primetime dramas are dying because Dr. Vegas failed and LAX is failing, but that wouldn't make much sense, either. The fact of the matter is, in every genre, you're going to have great shows and you're going to have shows you can't bear to watch.

Where I think reality TV struggles has more to do with following up a successful program with a sequel not as compelling. Take a "Big Twist" show like Joe Millionaire. While JM2 had more problems than simply the premise, I feel viewers tuned it out partly because this was something they had seen before, and the novelty of watching an average joe try to convince a group of women he was a multi-millionaire had lost its appeal.

That's the dilemma that professionals in the television industry face, I think: having to push the envelope and develop something fresh, exciting and novel every time they thrust another "unscripted" program on the public.

I think that programs like American Idol, Big Brother, and especially The Amazing Race and Survivor enjoy (and will continue to enjoy for the foreseeable future) long runs on air because there is something substantive there.

You'll also notice these aren't shows that (for the most part) rely on gimmicks and "twist endings."
    Last edited by phat32; 11-06-2004 at 11:28 AM. Reason: For clarity
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I think that programs like American Idol, Big Brother, and especially The Amazing Race and Survivor enjoy (and will continue to enjoy for the foreseeable future) long runs on air because there is something substantive there.

You'll also notice these aren't shows that (for the most part) rely on gimmicks and "twist endings."
    Yes, and those are those that seem to have less producer meddling than others.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ó Will Rogers

It sort of reminds me of how when Cosby became such a hit, all of the sudden there were a bunch of 1/2 hour cutesy family sitcoms...the ones with quality writing stuck around and the rest faded; but the 1/2 hour comedy wasn't dead.

Reality isn't dead...there are just too many hastily fabricated and misguided reality shows. TV watchers are smarter than most TV executives realize (except for the creators of Curb Your Enthusiasm and TAR!)

LG.
    Father of the Pride is a flop. Animated series are dead. Quick, someone tell Fox to cancel The Simpsons. :rolleyes
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I think the problem is supply and demand. The networks are supplying more reality TV shows than the public is demanding and the glut is causing viewers to cast off those that do not appeal to them. What are we supposed to do, watch EVERY reality show on every channel now, even the ones that are on opposite each other? Well, thanks to DVR and VCRs, I actually DO watch them all (okay, not all, but a whole lot of them) but I am kind of a nut and the average sane person will not be able to watch all these shows or even want to.

The reason "Millionaire" went from being a sensation to being relegated to syndication with a new host was that ABC got greedy and aired the darn thing every night (or so it seemed) and people got overloaded with too much of a good thing. The same is happening with the RTV shows. I'm sure the ones that still interest or engage viewers in some way that is still compelling and does not seem repetitive and/or rehashed will still survive.

I didn't think I would watch an hour long network drama again, but I watched "the 4400" on USA and "Lost" on ABC, so there is always room to gain new viewers. (You could also say the networks are overdosing viewers on all the forensic and law dramas that seem to be multiplying as rapidly as the "dateline" type newsmagazines were a few years ago.)

Well, a year ago they declared scripted television dead, and now, with the success of "Desperate Housewives," "Lost," and others, it's all about the one-hour drama. I hate to sound like Alicia Silverstone from Clueless, but WHATEVER. :rolleyes
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    Father of the Pride is a flop. Animated series are dead. Quick, someone tell Fox to cancel The Simpsons. :rolleyes

LOL

Shame on you guys, you are supposed to be FANS I don't see it fading, I think a GIANT door has been opened and now I can be a little more picky about the reality I watch. I prefer REAL people to models and unusual circumstances and I'm digging these shows that actually help people.

Reality going away?? BAH!
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

I think it's just another genre now - like comedy, drama, gameshows, soaps, etc etc. Just because you like, for example, ER, doesn't mean you watch/like every show in its genre.

It's just a lot more common now then in 2000, the fascination has went down, but I think reality TV, in some form, will be on television forever.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerLVNV
    I think a GIANT door has been opened and now I can be a little more picky about the reality I watch.
    I love the fact that there are now genres of reality! I'm not a big fan of the romance shows because they're so messed with, but I'm loving the mother/wife swap shows and the renovation shows like Complex Malibu and Taking Care of Business.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ó Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12