+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman spots rapist on "Blind Date"

Woman spots rapist on "Blind Date"

Yikes.

Rape suspect arrested after TV appearance

By Wendy Thermos
    Los Angeles Times

Santa Barbara, Calif., police arrested a rape suspect after his alleged victim spotted him on the television show "Blind Date," authorities said yesterday.

A 31-year-old Santa Barbara man was arrested on suspicion of raping and kidnapping a 35-year-old woman 14 months ago in Ventura County, police said. He is being held at the Ventura County Jail in lieu of $500,000 bail.

The woman saw her alleged assailant on the dating show last week, recorded it on her VCR and turned the tape over to Ventura police. Authorities contacted Santa Barbara police, who made the arrest.

"The chances against seeing someone like that on TV are pretty astronomical," said Ventura police Detective Russ Robinson, chief investigator in the case. He described the woman as stunned and "exhilarated" by the unexpected lead in the case.

After obtaining the "Blind Date" tape, police tracked the suspect Sunday to an address in Santa Barbara. A woman there gave officers his cellphone number.

Posing as a potential employer, a detective called the suspect and asked to meet with him about a security-guard job. The suspect was arrested without incident when he drove to the arranged meeting place.

The suspect, who told police that he is a security guard and handyman, also is awaiting trial on charges of breaking into the Santa Barbara home of a 22-year-old college student after allegedly following her home in November 2003.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I saw this last night on the news. The teaser said reality tv so I had to watch.
    Seems the folks at Blind Date hadn't researched too far into the guys backround.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I heard about this. Unbelievable.

Wow, that is an amazing story! Amazing for the woman that her rapist was caught, and amazing that Blind Date doesn't mind setting women up with men with a criminal background.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Guess they didn't do a good enough back ground check. Glad the guy was caught.

ETA: psst....DJeterFan, I absolutely LOVE your avatar. Gotta love a man that looks that good in a suite
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Looks good enough to eat!

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    It isn't that shocking to me that a rapist was on Blind Date, not at all actually. I've seen some of those dates where the guy was IMO clinically insane, borderline rapist and/or a murderer. I'm not kidding either.. There is one guy in particular that I watched one night who was SOOOooo bizarre, the woman left the bar in fear as he screamed at her. Not the screaming of "Ohh, I don't like you..", or anything like that.. but screaming nonsensical stuff. No lie.

I watched it on the news, but it didn't say what "role" he played on the Blind Date episode. Was he the suitor? Or someone in the background?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

They cast for drama and they get psychos. Although I still like the guy who wrote that catchy song, "Oh, oh, oh, chicks don't dig me."
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor
    Although I still like the guy who wrote that catchy song, "Oh, oh, oh, chicks don't dig me."
    {Rump's hummin'} No, no, no, chicks don't dig me ...

Argh! Great, Candie! You've now brought that song back in my head, after months and months of trying to get rid of it!

Nice goin', Blind Date producers. That show's going downhill. I used to love it, but then I wandered over to the uber-trashy Elimidate and couldn't seem to get back into Blind Date.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpshaker
    {Rump's hummin'} No, no, no, chicks don't dig me ...

Argh! Great, Candie! You've now brought that song back in my head, after months and months of trying to get rid of it!

Nice goin', Blind Date producers. That show's going downhill. I used to love it, but then I wandered over to the uber-trashy Elimidate and couldn't seem to get back into Blind Date.
    I KNOW! I thought I was the only one who kept humming that tune. That's so funny.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast