+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SNL joins the reality Ranks

PSi

SNL joins the reality Ranks

From Yahoo news:http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=597&ncid=763&e=2&u=/nm/20041104/tv_nm/television_snl_dc

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo
    Reality Contest for 'Saturday Night Live' Berth

Thu Nov 4, 1:41 AM ET Entertainment - Reuters TV

By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The always fierce competition among comics to land a gig on NBC's "Saturday Night Live" is set to become the basis of a reality series for the network.

Sources said NBC is working on a reality-competition series fronted by "SNL" creator/executive producer Lorne Michaels. The project would chronicle a group of comedians vying for a grand prize that is believed to be a role on the long-running sketch comedy series.

Michaels is expected to play a Donald Trump-like role, winnowing the pool of contestants until a victor is selected. Sources indicated that the project is eyed for a possible summer launch. NBC declined comment.

Michaels got his taste of getting tough on reality series contestants in a "SNL" parody skit of NBC's reality hit "The Apprentice" last season, in which he took over Trump's role and "fired" cast member Jimmy Fallon. NBC already has a track record in turning talent searches into a successful reality series with "Last Comic Standing."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Premium Member
    Now we'll just have to see if NBC cancels the show just before the finale and makes us watch one of their other lame shows to find out the results....

I'd like to see that show! I love SNL, even if it sucks this year.

Okay, I'll bite. I hope they do find some new talent, too, because they are in a major slump right now. I can't think of a single standout star in the cast at present.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Besides the fact that this idea is about 3 years too late ... Do I really want to watch no name performers doing skits that arent good enough to be on a dismal show?

I agree..it's pretty late

SNL talent comes from comedy troupees like the Groundlings or comics who have established stand up followings. I doubt that Lorne is going to discover "fresh meat" from the streets. Even the comics in LCS were polished. I was bored out of my skull.
    Note To Self: Hire Gigohead as my publicist. She's done wonders for my career - www.Norm-macdonald.com

PSi
    The members, will no doubt be poilished, but how will that differ from the apprentice to American Idol? Do you think those people just walk in off the street never done anything? Riiight.
    This is a cheap way to find an impersonator. Their two biggest impersonators, Hammond, and Horatio, have long overstayed their welcome, and this way they can find someone cheap.
    The only thing i won't like is they're probably going to get some undeserved facetime, while they should be rotting away in the 12:55 sketch llike how everyone before them has done.

Also, with LCS, the world is a better place since Dave Mordal was on that show. Would he have recognized had he not been on that show?

My last thoughts here

I think Lorne should dump this dumb project :nono and venture out more to the comedy clubs, scout more underground troupes like the NYC based Saturday Night After -- that does sketches based on the night before and even off Broadway. There are so many pools of talent across the US (Chicago is a comedy town too). It's plain laziness if Lorne and his staff find it so hard to believe that there is NO ONE out there?
    Note To Self: Hire Gigohead as my publicist. She's done wonders for my career - www.Norm-macdonald.com

+ Reply to Thread