+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Regency House

I am surprised how much information these episodes contain, it is almost overwhelming. I like the 'french letters' and the feminine hygiene products. Reminds me of the stories of how my dear mum grew up. Thank god for modern products.

I like how the countess did the risque dinner, serving herself as an appertizer with her chaperone's approval.

I sometimes do have problems telling the ladies apart, I think it is the lack of makeup, the same clothes and hair, it is really hard to tell who is who, that and the lack of color in the clothes. I felt a little sorry for Victoria Hampton, the heiress in that 3 way triangle. Reminds me of high school. He likes her, she likes someone else and the someone else is backing off.

It was really nice to see Mr. Foxsmith go to all the effort of doing science week and seeing the results. I wonder if he and Miss Davenport will continue their relationship???

What was surprising was the 'colored' plantation heiress. This is a side of history that is never explored in school and it was nice to see. It's funnier how the world does not change that much. Money equals social exceptence and exception muscial talent or physical prowess (boxing) can gain you fame and fortune and social status. Not much has changed since Roman times.

Well on to the last episode.

I missed the first two episodes, rats, but really enjoyed the last two. Does anyone know if these were actual matches that extended into the real world? I'd be interested in updates if so.

Marla, the PBS site (pbs.org) has updates on what they've been doing since the series aired (although it appears no long-term matches were made).
    I hope PBS reairs this series, its timing conflicted with some other shows I watched, and I wound up missing most of it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Finally, finished watching the last episode today. I liked how it ended with at least 3 matches made, I wonder how they ended???

I really felt sorry for Mr. Foxsmith and Lady Davenport because it felt as if they had a real relationship with some strong feelings. I really did not feel as if she was too old for him what she was forty he was in his 30's??? Its a damn shame that if you want children women really have a limited time frame to do so. Its a shame that in our culture there is so much emphasis put on achieving monetary success by 30 that you are considered a failure if you do not.

There have been some studies and a lot of women who do get married in their 20's and have the family have a lot of personal and public success in their 50's. The kids are out of the house you don't have to worry about being pregnant and you have tons of life experience that can really focus and drive you to a quite successfull career.

The only issue here that I see alot is that in our current culture/society there is a reall emphasis on youth and beauty especially for woman over the age of 30 that it really is a prejudice that can impact a career.

I really digressed but I guess I needed to say it. Overall, I really enjoyed this series and hope to see more like it. One thing only I always like to see is the after effect of what happened when the people returned to their normal lives and if they changed the way they lived etc.... did any of the couples stay together, did Mr. Foxsmith eventually find true love??? Where any stong friendships formed?? I felt as if I was left hanging a little bit.

I hope that we would eventually see some shows about medieval, or Roman times, living with on the plains as a native american, there are tons of possiblities.

Well, Everyone it was fun and happy holidays.

Here is the webpage for Regency House Party - it includes popst-production interviews with most of the people, many of which are quite interesting! http://www.channel4.com/history/micr.../regencyhouse/

The interview link for Mrs. Enright is missing from her biography page; here it is: http://www.channel4.com/history/micr...right_int.html

And, alas, Lady Devonport is 57 and Mr. Foxsmith is 34. His wish for children is a big part of what came between them. She is a lovely lady, and so unselfish in her caring for him, to break it off, knowing that she couldn't have children.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234