+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Regency House

I caught a few minutes and it looks real good. I love PBS period shows. For those who missed last night's episode, I'm sure PBS will be in usual form of repeating the episode several times through the weekend.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Grr, I forgot to put the tape in my VCR!

Hopefully PBS will re-run it one of these days. Can anyone describe the show?
    I think the Buffalo PBS station is running it again on Sunday afternoon at 2 PM. I'm not sure how PBS works. Do all the affiliates show things at the same time like the regular networks do?

This show is smokin'! The men's pants and women's dresses are designed to purposely put their (ahem) "goods" on display. And there are different ways for the ladies to hold their fans, to indicate if they're interested, or not interested, or married, etc.

But we already have people who aren't really willing to follow the rules and are whining about wanting to go home. :phhht
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I taped it but haven't watched it yet. From y'all's posts, it sounds very entertaining.
    I think PBS affiliates vary as to when they show reruns, but you can go to the PBS website (pbs.org, I think) and find your local station and check times that way.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

It wasn't that popular when it was shown here a few months ago, mind you it was up against very popular long running Saturday night shows on BBC and ITV. Seemed a weird time to show it. I suppose scheduling is important.

One thing I really like about these British period pieces is the pace. It takes you awhile to adjust to the slower pace without radios, TVs, Cell phones etc... and it takes good editing and narrating to keep things flowing. I like the fact that the narrator explains certain of the protocols and historical tidbits such as snuff, and pedestrianism (hope I spelled that right), The one wineglass and the cooler to wash it out. The used bathwater I could have lived without the picture. Did the one lady wash her underarms with water and lemon juice?

I do read alot of historical novels and they do indicate that women did have more activities such as archery contestents, scavenger hunts, dances, picnics, excursions to the local sights, horseback riding etc.... I think they might be playing up the tedium of the womans lives. Woman were expected to be musical because they provided entertainment in the evenings as well as the gentlemen. There were games such as charades, card games, conversation etc... We the people had to be the entertainment.

At first it was a little hard to tell the gentlemen apart. The servants seem very suited to their parts. One of the best opening scenes is were on the first night after the men's drinking bout Mr. Foxsmith ended up sleeping on the lawn and a footman came out and woke him up and Mr. Foxsmith asked the footman 'do you know what I did last night, I seem to have had a bit of a blackout' and the footman replies 'I'm sorry sir, but I do not have that information.'

It was amusing and a bit humiliating to see the men giving points to what woman had the best nose, eyes, boobs, etc... No matter how we advance we all fall back to embarassing juvenile behavior. But the woman were a bit raunchy themselves.

I enjoyed that Captain Glover really seemed to get into the spirit of the era, it was unfortunate that Captain Robinson did not. This is a wonderful oppurtunity and I hate it when people throw it away. The thing is in this era because of the status of their funds (good name no money) people made an art of being charming agreeable house guests and that's how they got there room and board. If they were sharp and not drinking too much earn money playing silver loo, whist or other card games.

You get drawn into this series I just wish the sound was a bit better because I missed some of the men's comments and when Miss Francesca was speaking to Capt. Robinson and later when Mrs. Rogers, the hostess, berated her for it they wrote the comments out on the screen so we could read what they were saying but the type was so small it was hard to make out.

Well, I look forward to the rest of the series and comments from fellow viewers, Ta Ta.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    This show is smokin'! The men's pants and women's dresses are designed to purposely put their (ahem) "goods" on display. And there are different ways for the ladies to hold their fans, to indicate if they're interested, or not interested, or married, etc.

Yes, quite alot of interesting shots, more so of the womens clevage. Amazing what a good corset can do. I wonder if they ever drop any food down there during dinner.

The men got equal but not as extensive footage in that long groin shot of one of the fellows. Quite interesting.

They probably would have blurred that groin shot out if it had been on regular tv.

FORT Regular
    "Regency House Party", as it was known when broadcast here in the UK, didn't really take off - but as said above C4 put it out on Saturday night when BBC1 screen Casualty and ITV1 have Millionaire.

Previous shows like The Edwardian Country House have gone out in C4's flagship Tuesday 9pm slot, where most it's reality hits air.

However, you may be interested to here of another similar show beginning here next week (in a much better Thursday 10pm slot this time) called What the Butler Saw. Nine members of one family live the life of Lords and Ladies in a Georgian house. In a twist though, they are competing for an "inheritance" of 50,000. One person is "disinherited" each week - and what the family don't know, it's their own staff who are voting people out.

See: http://www.channel4.com/life/microsi...saw/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Brekkie Boy
    "Regency House Party", as it was known when broadcast here in the UK, didn't really take off - but as said above C4 put it out on Saturday night when BBC1 screen Casualty and ITV1 have Millionaire.

Previous shows like The Edwardian Country House have gone out in C4's flagship Tuesday 9pm slot, where most it's reality hits air.

However, you may be interested to here of another similar show beginning here next week (in a much better Thursday 10pm slot this time) called What the Butler Saw. Nine members of one family live the life of Lords and Ladies in a Georgian house. In a twist though, they are competing for an "inheritance" of 50,000. One person is "disinherited" each week - and what the family don't know, it's their own staff who are voting people out.

See: http://www.channel4.com/life/microsi...saw/index.html
    Seems in this one you really do need to be nice to the servants.

I finally watched the first episode on tape today. I really liked it -- as a near-lifelong fan of Jane Austen, I would fall all over myself jumping at the chance to have done something like this -- but I hope in the next episode we see more interaction between the men and the women; this one seemed largely about what they do when they're not together.
    I was surprised every girl had her own chaperone; I'd have thought having one or two older married ladies around would be enough to ensure that everyone behaved themselves, and hadn't realized the chaperones' role as, well, a pimp of sorts.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    and hadn't realized the chaperones' role as, well, a pimp of sorts.
    Don't look at it as being a pimp, look at it as being a matchmaker. You are trying to match bloodlines to bloodlines, status to status, class to class.

For some of the matchmakers it is also away out of poverty. Miss Davenport for instance, I hope I have the correct lady. From a very good family but no dowery. Even being able to earn 500lbs to 1000lbs per match can ensure a future for Miss Davenport. Especially, as her charge is noveau riche and her papa would properly paid a nice finders fee if his daughter married the Earl or Count. As was stated 20lbs was equivalent to 700 dollars in days money. For some women being able to amass that much and have their own cottage and a maid and a girl of all work is not that bad a living.

Remember, also in the good ole days if you were female you were married or a prostitute. Not much of a job choice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast