+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EM Home Edition 11/17: Vardon Family, special time!

EM Home Edition 11/17: Vardon Family, special time!

AN OAK PARK, MICHIGAN HOME IS MADE SAFE AND COMMUNICATION-FRIENDLY
    FOR A DEAF COUPLE WHO ARE PARENTS OF A BLIND/AUTISTIC SON,
    ON A TWO-HOUR EPISODE OF "EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION"

Academy Award-Winning Actress Marlee Matlin is Among
    Well-Wishers Who Welcome the Vardon Family Home

"Vardon Family, Parts 1 & 2" - When Stefan Vardon, 14, wrote a heartwarming school essay about his deaf parents and his blind and autistic 12-year-old brother, he had no idea that it would lead to the team from "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" showing up at his family's Oak Park, Michigan home. In two back-to-back episodes airing SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 7 (7:00-8:00 and 8:00-9:00 p.m., ET), on ABC, the design team transformed the Vardons' ordinary 980-square-foot house into a dream home outfitted with the latest communications and safety devices for people with hearing loss.

In the first hour, "Vardon Family, Part 1," viewers meet Judy and Larry Vardon, who can't hear their son Lance, and he can't see his parents using sign language. This is not just a matter of inconvenience; Lance's safety is also a concern, for sometimes Lance has found the house keys and let himself out in the middle of the night without his parents' hearing him leave. The EM:HE team knew they had to find a way to make the family safe, as well as find the best way for them to communicate with each other -- a real necessity for when Stefan leaves for college in a few years.

In an essay that Stefan had written - and which Judy included in the application for the show -- he said: "I always have to sign to my parents in order to communicate, and always talk nicely to my brother for him to understand. I am so used to this life, it's just that sometimes I wish I had a normal family and didn't live this way. But the next day I am so happy that I have a loving family that treats me nice and loves me."

Judy volunteers with blind and deaf children teaching Braille and sign language, while Larry is a welder for a car manufacturer who, in his free time, fixes his neighbors' cars too, for free and without a garage to work in. Stefan, a nature lover, plays football in high school and is a car fanatic. Larry is a musical prodigy who likes Elvis, Beethoven and Mozart, as well as horseback riding.

In the second hour, "Vardon Family, Part 2," the Vardons come home after a week-long vacation on Mackinack Island. They returned to a completely remodeled home equipped with the latest in assisted living technology. At the "reveal," actress Marlee Matlin presented Stefan with a $50,000 college scholarship check from the Starkey Hearing Foundation. She also sat with Judy while she got her hearing tested for the first time in 20 years. Amazingly, Judy found she had residual hearing and was a candidate for a hearing aid.

The design team for this episode of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" consists of Ty Pennington, Paul DiMeo, Tracy Hutson, Michael Moloney, Constance Ramos and Preston Sharp. "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" is produced by Endemol USA, a division of Endemol Holding. The series is executive-produced by Tom Forman. "Vardon Family, Parts 1 & 2" both carry a TV-PG parental guideline.

Flings Fairydust to all YellowRoseTX's Avatar
    I absolutely love this show....what an amazing gift to people who really deserve it!

This weeks show with the Vardon Family touched me deeply. A fourteen yr old who gives unconditionally is so amazing....restores your faith in our youth. That's just in the first hour.....watching the second hour now....and having my Kleenex on hand!
    I'll lean on you and you lean on me and we'll be okay.

-- Dave Matthews

I love this show too. This is such a deserving family. Stefan is an awesome 14 year old. I can't wait to see their reaction and the finished house!

Even though I missed the first hour, I loved this show. I didn't realize while watching that Stefan is only 14! Amazing.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

FORT Fogey
    I loved this episode! I work with an autistic boy at a daycare, and seeing all of this stuff that this boy was getting, I just wanted to watch it over and over again, to get some ideas of things I could do I was nearly in tears at the end... and that 14 year-old kid? Amazing! Wonderful family

That was the best show I think yet!!! The reveal was just awesome! I didn't stop boo hooing through the whole thing...even Ty got teary eyed, I think that's the first time he has ever gotten teary eyed on the camera. I just love him and the whole team. Paul is my favorite , that man has the biggest heart! Stephan was awesome and deserved everything he got!!

I just love this show.....can't wait for the next show!

-- Dave Matthews

I can hardly stop sobbing to type this tonight. This was the BEST Extreme Makeover Home Edition family ever! Stephan, the 14 year old, is just an amazing young man. God bless this most-deserving family, and the cast and crew of EM:HE for all their hard work. Such clever ideas the designers came up with. Such a gorgeous home; not overdone or gaudy, just very friendly and elegant.

When the family came home to the crowd in front of their house and Ty had asked them to just wave their hands as the sign for clapping so they wouldn't overwhelm the little autistic boy, that was one of the most heartwarming moments I've ever seen in my life.

Yellowrose, I love your avatar! I have the exact same magnet on the back of my car. God bless our troops, especially at this most trying of times. Welcome to the FORT, friend!

I wish I could personally do something special for the 14-year-old Stephan. He's just such a kind, mature, unselfish young man. His brother is blessed to have him, as are his amazing parents.

Excellent show tonight!!!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpshaker
    Yellowrose, I love your avatar! I have the exact same magnet on the back of my car. God bless our troops, especially at this most trying of times. Welcome to the FORT, friend!

Excellent show tonight!!!
    Thank you....My son has enlisted in the Air Force and I have two cousins, one a Marine who's in Fallujah and the other in the Air Force. So it's close to my heart. Right now our troops in Fallujah need our thoughts and prayers, so please remember them.

-- Dave Matthews

I the whole show. I started crying when they showed the preview right before it started and I saw a tear in Ty's eyes. I've never seen him cry on these shows before. This was so touching to me. I don't think I stopped crying once. I especially lost it when they gave Stefan a $50,000 scholarship to go to a college of his choice. Lance broke my heart. He was such a sweet little boy. Very moving. I'd say the best show yet!
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I have to agree with everyone, this was absolutely fantastic You could tell that even Preston was moved by the whole situation & I dont think I have ever seen him as emotional either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast