+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Combat Missions - Happy 1-year anniversary!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

Combat Missions - Happy 1-year anniversary!

One year ago today Combat Missions aired on USA Networks.
    (well, technically by date, Jan 16, it was tomorrow. But the series aired on Wednesdays so I thought we'd consider today the official 1-year anniversary)

While there is no hint that there will ever be a Combat Missions 2, I just wanted to take a moment to celebrate and remember all the good friends that I have met because of this show.

Here was an article that appeared in the Houston Chronicle on the morning of the premiere.

From the Houston Chronicle TV Critic
    'Combat Missions' brings quality to reality TV

TV "reality" takes a big turn for the better, and timeliness has everything to do with it in tonight's premiere of Combat Missions.

The stars of this USA military action series (9 tonight, USA) are real. They're all former Green Berets, Marine Recons, Navy SEALS, Delta Force, CIA Special Ops or police S.W.A.T.

These guys have served their time. Many of them were doing the same kinds of missions our elite military forces are doing today in the war on terror. Here, they're just doing it again for a TV show. But they don't take combat lightly, even in a game.

The steely leader of these TV warriors is Rudy Boesch, whose fame as a Survivor survivor won him the job.

It's Boesch's real-life résumé that matters here, though. He's the longest-serving Navy SEAL (35 of his 45 years in the Navy), and he won the Bronze Star for heroic action during his more than 45 combat missions in Vietnam.

He is the camp CO (commanding officer) of Combat Missions, a series created by Mark Burnett, the executive producer of Survivor and the man who made Boesch a star.

At Camp Windstorm, a bleak and dusty TV outpost in the Mojave Desert, four teams play the game of war, with everything but real bullets.

Instead they use a laser-based military training system, the same used by the Army and Marine Corps. Sometimes it's almost too realistic when the guys start going down in "kills."

There are 24 men, ages 24 to 51, picked from more than 700 applicants. Four are from Texas, including two from the Houston area, Mark Corwin and John Winn.

Corwin, 28, served with the Marine Force Recon, '91 to '96. He was an honor grad at Marine Boot Camp, School of Infantry and Military Dive School. He was involved in a ship takedown in the Persian Gulf in 1995.

Winn, 34, was with Marine Recon, First Force Reconnaissance Company and Third Force Reconnaissance, '86 to '94. He survived an Iraqi guard ambush.

Corwin and Winn's service résumés are typical of their teammates'. For all of them, the overall mission of this TV service is to do what they once did for real.

Each week, two six-man teams perform the same mission against a common enemy known as the "Shadow Squad." The Shadow Squad is real military, too.

The team that performs the mission best wins, and the team that loses has to kick off one of its men. At the end, the winning team splits $150,000; the best individual competitor wins another $250,000.

None of these men likes to lose, but they like losing a buddy even less.

"To me, it's a dishonor to leave a teammate, and I will not dishonor anybody," declares one former Navy SEAL when asked to vote a buddy out.

Tonight, after such killer warm-up exercises as "The 500-Pound Log Carry From Hell," the teams plan and execute their first mission: Blow up an enemy tank in hostile territory. In coming weeks, they'll rescue hostages and downed helicopter pilots behind enemy lines, go hand-to-hand in urban assault and more.

What puts Combat Missions far above the rest of TV's phony "reality" is the quality of its contestants. These are men, not kids, and they know what they're doing because they've done it.

What makes them so fascinating is the knowledge that guys like these are currently involved in combat missions. Those missions are real, and so are the bullets. These are not, but as former CIA Special Op Baz Bazzell judges at the end of this mission, "This may be (your) first -- and maybe last -- time to see who's responsible for protecting this country."

If that's anywhere near the case, mission accomplished.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Dang! Has it been that long? It seems like yesterday when I was just watching the best reality tv show ever, Combat Missions.

What puts Combat Missions far above the rest of TV's phony "reality" is the quality of its contestants. These are men, not kids, and they know what they're doing because they've done it.
    I have to totally agree with this statement. CM had class, and it was an honor to get to know, even for a little while, the proud men that protected (and still protect in some of their cases) the U.S..

Oh..how I miss this show.

I really miss it too. I can't believe USA hasn't re-aired a single episode. What a bunch of f*cking idiots. Yeah, show us reruns of Walker, Texas Ranger, but put CM so far back on the shelf it'll never be heard from again. That makes perfect sense. Show us a bunch of cheesy B movies that we have never heard of. What a sh*thole of a network.

If their marketing team had ANY SENSE whatsoever, Combat Missions could easily have become a huge moneymaker for them. The competitors they selected were amazingly charismatic, and the competitions they held were dynamic, edge-of-your-seat thrillers. Then USA came along and had the brilliant idea to keep the show a secret. Stealth programming. What a...

OK, I'm going to stop now before my blood starts to boil.

Oh, by the way, happy anniversary everyone.
    I’m haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Zhora!

I'm copying your post and mailing it to the nitwits at USA!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Happy Anniversary Ladies!!!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

+ Reply to Thread