+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition-The Mackeys 10/24/04

Extreme Makeover:Home Edition-The Mackeys 10/24/04

On this week's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition we met the Mackey Family. Consuella Mackey started an outreach program called Operation Confidence that provides job training and employment oportunities for the physically disabled. She also gives makeovers so people can look and feel their best when looking for employment. She has helped over ten thousand. Consuella started her Operation Confidence after she broke her foot playing ball. She said that is when she realized just how selfish society is concerning people with disabilities. The disabled are not considered capable of anything and as a result totally disregarded. Over the years her house has suffered and is now falling apart because she puts everything into her mission as well as her family. Consuella's sister Sandra is going blind and moved in bringing her daughter Georgia. She also raised her grandson, Eric, since birth. Her niece, Valata, lives with her as well. This extended family is bursting the house at it's seams. Consuella has spent her life helping others and now it is her turn.

[IMG]images/img/MckeyFrontBefore.jpg[/IMG]

The design team rolled up to the house and Ty greeted them in his usual fashion; bull horn announcing their arrival. The family spilled onto the lawn and one of the first things Consuella said was "Can I help?" After the family pinched themselves Ty began with the tour of the house and immediately he found that the front door is not wheelchair accessible. Each room had multiple uses and residents. Consuella runs the office from her bedroom. She often gives up her own bed and sleeps in a recliner so that she will not have to turn anyone away.

[IMG]images/img/MackeyConRoomBefore.jpg[/IMG]

Sandra and Georgia share a bedroom and neither one complains. They are glad to have a roof over their heads and both are thankful to Consuella for all that she has done. Eric's room is lacking as well. His bed is a mattress on a table. Valata is studying to be a nurse. She is twenty-six and wants to help people just like her aunt. All over the house there are leaks. The roof is ragged and the ceiling is not much better. The family does not have air conditioning and it gets up to on hundred and nine outside. Before leaving the house Ty asks if there is anything special that they want to hold onto from the contents of their house and Consuella points out a picture of her parents that she treasures. Once outside they find a broken down truck that Consuella used to take meals to the children's hunger fund every Wednesday. She has faith that her little truck will be restored one day so she can help more people. That will be a big job as the truck is in such bad shape. The team recognizes that since Consuella does not throw away people that are broken down, they can not throw out this broken down truck.

[IMG]images/img/MackeyTruckBefore.jpg[/IMG]

Once the family heads off to Mexico for a well deserved vacation; the design team begins planning a great house. The house is going to grow in square footage and be accessible for everyone who might walk or roll through the doors. Instead of squeezing people into her bathroom for a makeover; Consuella will have her own salon decked out with all the tools of the trade. Ty appoints himself master of the office space and tackles that ex comunicado from the rest of the team(Wow! That's a novel idea. Right! ).

Ty called some friends and got them on the job of bustin' out the junky truck. They hauled it off to surgery. Hopefully a battery transplant and new sparkplugs will do it a world of good.

The contractor showed up with his monstrous crew on a sweltering day and Ty opened up a firehose to cool down the design team. They all descended upon the house demolition style with glee. Ty sent his usual "look we are knocking down your house" video and the house came down in thirty minutes.

The carpenter is being inundated with big projects and has something to do for each designer. She looks a little frazzled but spiffy in her fuscia tank top and matching tool belt. Meanwhile Ty is off to some remote location to fashion an office of Consuella's dreams, but shhhh!, It's a secret.

It's a new day and the house is framed and windows are going in. The house is going up quite smoothly. Paul is jammin' to get Eric's room all hooked up with everything a young man needs. He is putting his bed on hydraulics and Tracy brings in a crew of lowrider experts to be his muse. Paul even tries to trade Constance and Tracy for one of the low riders. No deal was reached there and Eric will just have to settle for a bed that rocks. Let's face it folks; that is every young man's dream(You know what I'm talkin' about).

The next day Ty finds out that payback is a little girl doggy as the design team brings in a firetruck to hose him down. They are all in on the shower and Ty takes off his shirt. Surprise! Soon after, the hot tub arrives and they somehow make it fit in Eric's room. With a bouncing bed and a hot tub Eric might never leave his room. Just give him a phone and the number for pizza delivery. He is set.

Michael noticed that Paul is a fine craftsman, but not so much the finest in grooming. Under the guise of picking up the latest in salon amenities, Paul is lured to the salon where he gets his own makeover. He was shampooed, cut, waxed and redressed. I must say, "How you doin', Paul?" They say he actually smelled good, but since I do not have smellavision, I can not confirm these reports.

Tracy wants to squeeze one more thing into Eric's room and rolls up on a hoopdycycle. It is like a lowrider of bicycle world. Since he can not drive yet they made sure that this fifteen year old will still get around in style. The rolling does not stop there though as a pickup truck full of wheelchairs and walkers arrives. Operation Confidence is ready to roll for sure. Now all they need is a shed to store the wheels. What? Looks like there is one already being built.

[IMG]images/img/MackeyHoopdycycle.jpg[/IMG]

Michael reminds us that Sears has an "off the hook" electronics department as he shows us the Sixty-five inch television that Sandra will actually be able to see in her room. I am only worried that she will not be able to sit far enough away to see it.

With only twenty four hours until the family arrives the team is in high gear. Landscaping fills in and compliments the house quite well as it follows the wheelchair accessible path around the exterior of the house.

As things wind down furniture fills the house and the final touches are added to some rooms as others are getting put together last minute. The family is on their way and it seems like the entire town is there to see them home. The limo pulls up and the family waits for the big buss to roll away. Screams of disbelief and joy are had by all and the design team streams out of the house. After much hugging and thanking, the family enters the house. Consuella is amazed at how the house reflects her taste so well. Everyone finds something that they like about the living room and kitchen. Consuella spots the picture of her parents and feels that all who enter are blessed by them. Eric is the first to see his room and is quick to hop on the bed and master the controls. He can not stop smiling.

[IMG]images/img/MakeyEricRoom.jpg[/IMG]

Valata is the next to happen into her room and can not believe how much space she has.

[IMG]images/img/MackeyNurseRoom.jpg[/IMG]

Georgia screeches her way through her room and calapses in screams on her round bed. Then she catches a glimpse of the new clothes hanging in her closet and sounds only dogs can hear must be coming out of her mouth.

[IMG]images/img/MackeyGeorgiaRoom.jpg[/IMG]

Sandra walks into her room. It is elegant and has an enormous TV in that Sandra can actually see. She and her daughter are both blown away by the room.

[IMG]images/img/MackeySandraRoom.jpg[/IMG]

The entire family walks into the salon and everyone is pleased.

[IMG]images/img/MackeySalonAfter.jpg[/IMG]

Now it is Consuella's turn to view her digs. She feels like she got the queen's bedroom. It has a secretary in it that holds her own computer. She also has a private bath. How luxurious!

[IMG]images/img/MackeyConRoomAfter.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]images/img/MackeyConBath.jpg[/IMG]

The tour is not over though. The family makes it's way to the back porch with beautiful landscaping. They also see the shed packed with wheelchairs, walkers and such. Then Consuella wants to know where her truck is. The rest of the design team rolls up in a bright red truck all decked out including the Operation Confidence logo.

[IMG]images/img/MackeyRedTruck.jpg[/IMG]

Ty hops in the truck with Consuella and they drive over to the office space the contractor is donating for a year to OC. The rest of the family followed them in the buss and they all go in to check it out.

[IMG]images/img/MackeyOCOffice.jpg[/IMG]

Consuella is amazed and overwhelmed. She expresses her gratitude and the family does a final happy dance.

[IMG]images/img/MackeysGoodbye.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]images/img/MackeyFrontAfter.jpg[/IMG]

That's it for this week. Join us next week for more on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Wow, a recap complete with pictures- great job, Feifer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feifer
    No deal was reached there and Eric will just have to settle for a bed that rocks. Let's face it folks; that is every young man's dream(You know what I'm talkin' about).

He was shampooed, cut, waxed and redressed. I must say, "How you doin', Paul?" They say he actually smelled good, but since I do not have smellavision, I can not confirm these reports.

Then she catches a glimpse of the new clothes hanging in her closet and sounds only dogs can hear must be coming out of her mouth.
    And I totally agree with your view on Paul's makeover!

CB, I have always adored that wacky man. He has such a big heart. Now he has the look to go with the heart. I hope he keeps it up.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I got all eary eyed reading this fief! I love how you include the pictures

Ty called some friends and got them on the job of bustin' out the junky truck. They hauled it off to surgery. Hopefully a battery transplant and new sparkplugs will do it a world of good.
    It looks really good now, too bad they didn't get Xibit to fix it up

Great job on the recap!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

great job, feif!!!

+ Reply to Thread