+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burn Victim Goes Under Swan 2 Knife

Burn Victim Goes Under Swan 2 Knife

October 21, 2004 -- A woman who was severely burned in a childhood accident will be among the wannabe beauties in the latest edition of Fox's con troversial makeover show, "The Swan."
    In the show, contestants go under the knife but are not allowed to see themselves for weeks. Later, they compete in a sort of plastic-surgery beauty pageant.

Usually the plastic surgery is cosmetic but, in a sharp departure for "The Swan," this year the show will be giving some contestants reconstructive surgery.

"This year we have some trauma victims," says the show's creator, Nely Galan. "In the first episode, we have a girl who was burned in a fire over 70 percent of her body. She looks gorgeous [after the makeover]. She might win the pageant."

The burn victim, Jennifer, described as a 30-year-old homemaker and mother of three from Mesa, Ariz., was severely scarred at age 6 in a house fire. The burns drove her to a life of shyness that she hopes to overcome with "The Swan's" radical makeover-by-scalpel-and-shrink regimen, according to Fox.

Among the other "Swan" candidates are a rape victim, a woman with severe periodontal disease and another who is virtually deaf.

The show's new season begins Monday night.

An outspoken critic of "The Swan" said he has no problems with the show reaching out to a burn victim.

"There's nothing wrong with combining cosmetic and reconstructive procedures," said Dr. Paul Weiss, an Upper East Side plastic surgeon and spokesman for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. "They often go arm-in-arm in techniques and principles. That's not an ethical problem."

Still, Weiss said he doesn't support the show because it portrays cosmetic surgery as a cure-all for personal problems.
    http://nypost.com/entertainment/32317.htm

I really applaud these makeover shows for not simply catering to vanity, but to those people who just want to look *normal*. Dr. Weiss' comment is quite insensitive and surprising, considering he's a plastic surgeon himself. I've seen EXM correct botched nose jobs, re-do poorly done cleft palate surgery, and fix dreadful skin problems. It seems to me that such programs would be a boost to his profession, so why knock them?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm glad that they are going to do some reconstructive surgery. So many of the people in the past really didn't need surgery, just a makeover.
    I marvel at how people look so different after two or three months. We have been involved in an on going ordeal for years with more to go.

a woman with severe periodontal disease
    What is that?

Maybe the format's changed, but when they say that the burn victim "might win the pageant", aren't they giving away the fact that she actually made the pageant?
    A recent survey stated that the average person's greatest fear is having to give a speech in public. Somehow this ranked even higher than death which was third on the list. So, you're telling me that at a funeral, most people would rather be the guy in the coffin than have to stand up and give a eulogy.
    -- Jerry Seinfield

Quote Originally Posted by Frostelized
    What is that?
    Gum disease.

http://www.perio.org/consumer/2a.html#types
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I saw this one and she looked really good after her make over.They couldn't get rid of her scars ,but the surgeon said they could make them a little less noticeable with dermabrasion. I was pretty impressed.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to say I'm going to be recapping this season's Swan starting with next Monday's show. And thank you AIWANNABE for posting articles on this show. It really helps keep everyone interested

As for Jennifer, I agree, her scars were hardly detectable during her reveal, and I hope it wasn't just heavy makeup or "coverup" foundation, either. She was a nice looking lady even with her scars.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Texie - I can't wait to read your recaps!!
    Trial by fire??
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Oh Duxxy...what am I gonna do with you??
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast