+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EM Home Edition 10/31 - "The Ali Family"

EM Home Edition 10/31 - "The Ali Family"

THE TOUGH-LUCK ODYSSEY OF A QUEENS, NEW YORK FAMILY FINALLY
    COMES TO AN END WHEN ABC'S "EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION"
    COMES TO THEIR RESCUE

The Family's Original Contractor Left Them Without a Roof Over Their Heads

"Ali Family" - In this episode, a Jamaica Queens, New York family finally get their dream house -- two years after a contractor left them without a roof over their heads. With a house rendered unfit for habitation, Lucy Ali and her 12-year-old adopted sons, Paul and Kuran, had been living as urban refugees, hop-scotching from hotel to hotel, to relatives' couches and to a homeless shelter. "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" brings the Ali house back to life when the design team and over 150 workers rebuild it, airing SUNDAY, OCTOBER 31 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

When her boys were infants, orphaned by a crack-addicted mother, Lucy adopted them. As the now-healthy boys approached adolescence, she wanted to add more space to her one-bedroom, one-bath house and was grateful when she was approved for a home improvement loan.

She gave the contractor a large sum of money to begin the renovations, but the contractor never finished the job, leaving a gaping hole in her roof. The unfinished second level was exposed to the elements, robbery and foraging animals. During one of her periodic visits to her ruined, uninhabitable house, she was alarmed to even find squatters. The Ali house sat without a roof as Lucy, a retired finance manager, struggled to keep up with the monthly mortgage payments.

While the design team, contractors and hundreds of workers and volunteers were building the Alis a new and stable living environment in just seven days, the family went on a Disney cruise vacation.

The design team for this episode of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" consists of Ty Pennington, Paul DiMeo, Paige Hemmis, Michael Moloney, Constance Ramos and Preston Sharp. "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" is produced by Endemol USA, a division of Endemol Holding. The series is executive-produced by Tom Forman.

This program carries a TV-PG parental guideline.

I really liked that they team stayed with the original design of the house and didn't make it more 'grand'
    The boys' rooms were great!! Mrs Ali's room was not to my taste but it was still beautifully put together. thank goodness the family has their home back.

I didn't like the backyard on this house. With the college scolarships the boys will only be at home for 5 more years then mom is stuck with an empty nest and a go kart pit. I think a reading garden and basketball hoop would have been more in keeping with the changing needs of the family - but hey, who is going to look a gift horse in the mouth right?
    What exactly did the contractor mean by we are 'pledging' college funds for the boys? Are they are aren't they paying for college?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I was wondering how thrilled the neighbors will be with a couple of noisy go karts revving up constantly.
    I thought the paved back yard was too much. I'd rather have some grass and a tree.

This episode seemed a bit much for me (although the Monday followup show was actually much better).

In the Sunday edition I wasn't really "feeling" this family. I didn't really care much about them, and the Hallelujahs out of the blue always seem forced to me if I can't get some emotional investment first. They buzzed through the "she adopted two crack addicted babies" story so quickly, I felt kind of robbed. It's like they assumed those mere words, and not a real presentation, would substitute for really letting us get to know them.

And then there was the makeover. As I'm increasingly noticing, the "theme" rooms are really starting to bug. Children grow up. They change. So at some point these elaborate themes actually become a liability instead of a wonder. Will the younger son, for example, be so thrilled about his "acting room" if he changes his prospective career? The room might even be an embarassing reminder of a failure. This isn't AS bad as some of these get, but it's part of a pattern (some of this show's little-girl rooms seem to me like they might age the worst--doesn't princess stuff, for one example, get really emabrassing when they reach a certain age?).

It's always seemed to me that too much of the design becomes inherent to the space on this show. Rich people can afford to tear out things like a "stage" that might require redoing the whole room to remove. But most of the recipients on this show are... not rich. And now they are stuck in time with these elaborate creations which their kids may love now, but could hate later.

The single most useful (and timeless, in a way) room done was the basement (which was only revealed on the Monday show). Sal the contractor seems to have done it on his own dime, mostly, and while it was arguably stark and utilitarian, it was eminently practical. They can use that room, much as it is, for the next 40 years if they want. That's "Extreme" to me.
    Last edited by Krom; 11-02-2004 at 04:18 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I didn't like the paved go-kart track in the back either, Duxxy and Muduh. It wasn't that big a space or anything. That should have been a no-brainer. I hope they never get a pet that pines for a patch of grass.

A reading garden would have been so lovely.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread