+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: The Mansion

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata
    I am just now crawling out from under my covers.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Just posting an article on Dan Deal, our lovable winner of The Mansion

From the Lancaster New Era

'The Mansion' belongs to Strasburg man
    Viewers of TBS home-remodeling reality show vote to award $1 million estate in suburban Cincinnati to 28-year-old actor at Sight & Sound

By David O'connor
    Lancaster New Era

Published: Nov 20, 2004 1:02 PM EST

LANCASTER COUNTY, PA - Daniel had to contend with hungry critters in a lions’ den, but he didn’t have to contend with seven other sometimes-catty humans, in the same house, all vying for the same prize.

That’s what professional actor Dan Deal of Strasburg, who has played Daniel at Sight & Sound Theatre, did for several weeks this summer for the TBS reality show, “The Mansion.”

Now, Deal is about to play a new role — the owner of a sprawling million-dollar estate.

The 28-year-old Deal was awarded the $1 million, 13-room suburban Cincinnati home this week, along with a $50,000 cash prize, on Thursday night’s series finale of “The Mansion.”

He actually found out Monday night he had won, but then had to keep things quiet until Thursday.

Deal said this morning, “The joy of that moment, where I got to experience winning ... it was beyond anything I had ever experienced.”

As you might expect, it all still seems a little unreal, he admitted.

“It’s going to be life-changing. I don’t even know if it’s going to work,” he said of the prospect of maintaining the home, in Cincinnati’s posh Covedale area.

“It’s a little too big to all absorb right now,” he said. “I am hoping to at least go live in it for while.”

“The Mansion,” appeared on Saturday mornings between Oct. 2 and Nov. 13 and featured Deal and the seven other contestants performing different house tasks with a time deadline and a budget. It drew some 700,000 viewers a week.

It also attracted intense Internet voting for the winner, with 563,000 votes cast.

The in-house filming “was intense — it was like playing a competitive board game for six weeks straight, except it was a little more chaotic than that,” Deal said.

One week the “Mansion Eight,” four men and four women in their 20s and 30s, were given 24 hours to do the pool.

Then, they had seven days, and $90,000, to do the kitchen, and five days, and $45,000, to redo the bedrooms.

They usually worked 20 hours a day — Deal sometimes went two days without sleep — but eventually the whole house inside and out was refurbished.

They were working together even as they competed for the very house in which they were working — and also living.

Deal said it helped him that “I am definitely a team player. I am definitely about keeping everything cool and working with people — I don’t like to create conflict.”

It also helps that design is a serious hobby of his. Deal and some fellow actors early this year spent a week renovating fellow co-worker Brian McCreary’s home while McCreary was recuperating from cancer surgery.

Deal, who’s from Shrewsbury, has lived in Lancaster County for about 10 years, most of them working at Sight & Sound.

He had heard in early July “The Mansion” was looking for contestants, interviewed in Philadelphia with the show’s producers, and was chosen from among the hundreds of other hopefuls.

Friends back here, including those at Sight & Sound, “voted like crazy” for him, he said.

Locals in Cincinnati recognized him from the show, some telling him they voted for him — quite an honor, since one of the contestants was a local guy, Deal said.

He also broke his thumb working and had two pins in it as a reminder.

Learning he won and then having to keep it a secret “was so hard, I wanted to tell them (friends), but also to watch them experience it,” the anticipation and then the joy, was something else he’ll never forget.

It’ll be quite a few months until he moves, Deal said. He is helping to produce the new Sight & Sound production of “Psalms of David,” which begins in June.

The mansion is a 7,000-square-foot English Tudor, with five bedrooms and four bathrooms, along with a detached carriage house.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

And this one from the Cincinnati Post:

Reality winner a Tudor kind of guy

By Rick Bird
    Post staff reporter

The newest owner of a Cincinnati mansion says he's ready to move here.
    "I live in an apartment. I called my landlord today and told him I don't need it anymore," said Dan Deal, a theatrical performer who was the winner of the Schott Estate on Cleves Warsaw Pike in the TBS reality show "The Mansion."

In the show's finale Thursday night, Deal won the estate, estimated at $1 million. Viewers voted via the Internet.

"I certainly hope to be living in Cincinnati. That is my desire," Deal said. "I don't know how it's all going to break down, but my goal is to move into that house. I love it."

Deal also won $50,000 in cash that producers tossed in as a surprise award. Deal admitted that makes for some nice "moving expenses."

The reality series, shot at the Covedale estate for seven weeks last summer, featured a cast of eight who each week were assigned remodeling projects in the house with a limited budget and time schedule.

Deal came off to viewers as a player with the best innate designer taste, one of the hardest workers and he had a contagious high-energy attitude.

"I definitely tried to enjoy every experience I encountered," Deal said about his approach to the show, which was edited to focus more on reality soap opera issues than on how-to remodeling. "The people of Cincinnati were ridiculously gracious. I so appreciated it. Everybody was so helpful and great."

Deal, 26, is an actor at a theater company in Lancaster County, Pa., which produces 11 shows a week of a biblical nature. He says he has played every one from Noah and Abraham to Daniel.

Deal was awarded the house, coming in first out of some half-million Internet votes cast in a 48-hour period last weekend.

Two local players were in the series, Kim Wagner of Rising Sun, Ind., and Jeff Klug, who grew up in Delhi near the home. While Klug said he played on the grounds as a kid, the local connection in the end didn't help him in voting.

Deal says he developed a true passion for the home even though the reality series was the first time he had ever been in Cincinnati.

"What brought me the most joy was, when I was in Cincinnati, I had a number of people come up to me and say, 'Dan, I'm voting for you.' That meant the most for me."

The flamboyant Deal did not come across in the series as exactly the kind of person who viewers might think would be a Tudor kind of guy. Not so, says Deal.

"Since I was a kid I just loved English Tudor. One morning in that mansion it was foggy. I was just sitting looking out those old windows with ivy growing out the side looking down at the pond. I just loved it. I always wanted to live on a pond or a lake."

Publication Date: 11-20-2004
    In retrospec, I'm really glad I voted for Dan, as everything I've read or seen about him, or from him, just seems to indicate he's a really nice guy.

A New Season?

Has anyone heard yet if there'll be a second season of The Mansion?

I'm hoping so

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567