+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trading Spaces: New Designer?

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I liked Eric's room much better than Jon's, and Scott's room was ahead of Erin's in my book (though I loved the found/reclaimed sign for the bathroom door). Hopefully, since they need more new designers (Buh-Bye Barry, Buh-Bye Laura, please) we might see one or two of these people as well.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Uh oh... Nemeses is going to be one unhappy chickee today. Jon won.
    lol, Broadway

Nah, not at all. Remember in my first few posts above that I said Jon probably would be? And that I hoped I was wrong because then it would disprove my theory about the honesty of the Home Free challenge?

Well, unfortunately, it happened just as I thought it would. I'd have been surprised if Jon didn't win. So now I'm back to my theory about Home Free and Jon's sudden emergence as a 'contestant' for the new designer spot. I'll say it right out, as I did originally. This is just too 'convenient' a segue from the Home Free challenge of last season into the season opener of TS this season. Was a great marketing gimmick, and I applaud whichever AE came up with the idea. To have the 'winner' of a supposedly 'audience selected' designer selection contest just happen to be the same 'winner' of a supposedly 'audience selected' contest is just much too 'conveniently' a PR and marketing windfall. Too well scripted and predictable.

And even if my theory that doubts the honesty of the Home Free challenge and the You Choose challenge was not correct (but I believe it is), then there's the other problem that Jon went into this with a marked advantage over the other three. Having already been through the stressed/fast-pace/think-on-your-feet/high-pressure of a Trading Spaces taping (from the Home Challenge tapings), he came into this already familiar with some of the tips and tricks TS designers can use to make the process look more controlled to the viewer, allowing him to look more in control and relaxed than the others. The other three didn't have that advantage, which I consider to be a huge advantage.

And finally, a note about the supposed 'fair voting' on this. How fair can it be if only people with computers can vote? And how 'fair' can it be if people with access to more than one computer can cast more than one vote? Cookies mean nothing when you vote on a fresh computer. I heard a group (4) of co-workers talking about this at work, and I found it amusing when they told me they had each voted for their designers at their respective homes, then came to work and voted again on their personal work computers, then went around to different co-worker's computers and with their permission, voted yet again. I actually doubted they could do this, but I went back to my own computer at work and tried it, and sure enough...voted again. I have no idea how many duplicate votings they did, but at a company with over 200 computers available, who knows? And how many other people who watch TS did the same thing? And if the regular viewers are doing this, how many computers do the TS staff and marketing staff have availablel to do the same? (and before you ask, I have no idea who my co-workers were casting those votes for)

So... not in the least surprised that Jon won. And although this doesn't make him the best designer of the 4, it does make him the new designer on TS, and I'm sure no one at TS's production or marketing team was 'surprised' by this On the plus side, since I already stopped watching episodes with Hilda in them, I can now add to the no-watch episodes any that Jon will be in. This should give me some free time now to catch up on other things during those episode airings. So there is a plus side to this for me!

Has anyone seen that new show The Mansion? I just starting watching that, and it's rather interesting, although admittedly I've only seen 2 episodes of the 3 aired so far.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I didn't mind Jon's first room as a designer. It wasn't bad at all. I think he could be a good addition, maybe replacing Kia and Hilde...please?
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I think this was all a set up. Jon had an extremely unfair advantage in the show. Folks had already seen more of his work from the Home Free episodes. So they were already familiar with him and wanted him on the show. The others we only had the rooms they had aired with in the hour and the room they decorated during the show. How did they determin he was the winner and tape his first show in less than one week? Thats is all shady hazy to me.

I agree, it just doesn't add up and I also agree with Nemeses that it throws the honesty of the Home Free competition into question with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses
    And even if my theory that doubts the honesty of the Home Free challenge and the You Choose challenge was not correct (but I believe it is), then there's the other problem that Jon went into this with a marked advantage over the other three. Having already been through the stressed/fast-pace/think-on-your-feet/high-pressure of a Trading Spaces taping (from the Home Challenge tapings), he came into this already familiar with some of the tips and tricks TS designers can use to make the process look more controlled to the viewer, allowing him to look more in control and relaxed than the others. The other three didn't have that advantage, which I consider to be a huge advantage.

And finally, a note about the supposed 'fair voting' on this. How fair can it be if only people with computers can vote? And how 'fair' can it be if people with access to more than one computer can cast more than one vote? Cookies mean nothing when you vote on a fresh computer. I heard a group (4) of co-workers talking about this at work, and I found it amusing when they told me they had each voted for their designers at their respective homes, then came to work and voted again on their personal work computers, then went around to different co-worker's computers and with their permission, voted yet again. I actually doubted they could do this, but I went back to my own computer at work and tried it, and sure enough...voted again. I have no idea how many duplicate votings they did, but at a company with over 200 computers available, who knows? And how many other people who watch TS did the same thing? And if the regular viewers are doing this, how many computers do the TS staff and marketing staff have availablel to do the same? (and before you ask, I have no idea who my co-workers were casting those votes for)
    Actually, I trust the Home Free challenge but I no longer trust that this was an accurate challenge for all of the reasons that you cited. They wanted Jon on the show and this was a PR means of doing so.

And I have to absolutely at you and your coworkers voting on multiple computers. Ummm... Nemeses, all you have to do is delete your cookies on your own computer and you can vote multiple times. No need to go running to multiple computers. That's hilarious!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Ummm... Nemeses, all you have to do is delete your cookies on your own computer and you can vote multiple times.

lol, I know that, silly But I was at work when they were talking, so just tried it from there because that's where I was. Why they were doing it on so many computers, I have no idea. They're only co-workers, not friends, so I didn't get into a conversation with them about it, lol

Edited to add: oh, I just found out why they did it the way they did it. Because here at work, you have to have a certain level of login authority in order to delete cookies, and these ladies don't have that level of authority. As to why there were so into the results that they wasted all that time... who knows? :rolleyes
    Last edited by Nemeses; 10-18-2004 at 01:22 PM.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

[QUOTE=Broadway]Actually, I trust the Home Free challenge but I no longer trust that this was an accurate challenge for all of the reasons that you cited. They wanted Jon on the show and this was a PR means of doing so.
    QUOTE]

Why go through the bother of the fake vote? If they wanted him, then they could just hire him. I think they chose a viewers choice format to confirm that the viewers wanted him too.

I am glad he won. He seemed genuine when he mentioned that he wanted to give the homeowners the room they wanted. I think he knows that Hildi, Doug and others create rooms for the sake of entertainment..

Quote Originally Posted by babymay
    Why go through the bother of the fake vote? If they wanted him, then they could just hire him. I think they chose a viewers choice format to confirm that the viewers wanted him too.
    That's basic Marketing 101. You have to get the consumer to buy into what you're selling. And the best way for a show like TS to do that is to let viewers feel they are personally involved in decisions for the show. It's one of the most popular marketing gimmicks in 'reality' tv today.. the viewer vote.

Actually, America's Funniest Home Videos did it years ago to a smaller degree, by letting the audience vote on which videos won for the episode. American Idol takes most of the credit for making it popular and drawing new viewers in. In TS's case, why just hire someone and present it to the world after the fact (yawn), when you have a great marketing opportunity to draw in new viewers and revitalize current viewers with a flashy season opener catering to the popular trend of allowing the audience to 'participate'... whether the participation is real or not. Standard marketing, pure and simple. And I applaud their AE for doing his/her job in presenting this basic plan and implementing it presumably well.

But it's just another day in the world of marketing.

With all that said. I really wished they would have kept Scott. He had that Vern Yip style I miss so much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast