Thread: EM: Home Edition (Now 10/3)- "The Garay Family"

EM: Home Edition (Now 10/3)- "The Garay Family"

"EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION" UNDERTAKES ITS LARGEST RENOVATION
    YET WHEN, FOR THE FIRST TIME, WE ADD NEARLY 5000 SQUARE FEET OF
    NEW SPACE FOR A FAMILY OF 11, SUNDAY, OCTOBER 10 ON ABC

HomeAid America and Shea Homes Lend a Helping Hand by
    Donating Their Time, Resources and Labor

Miss America 2004 Is Among Those Who Welcome the Family to Their New Home

"Garay Family" - When a mother was shot and killed by a gang member's stray bullet while sleeping, her oldest son, Johnny Garay, took in his five siblings so that they would not be separated by Child Protective Services. Although Johnny and his wife had four young children of their own, he moved this now large family -- totaling 11 people -- into what he could afford, a major fixer-upper in the South Central area of Los Angeles, California, built in 1905.

The original plan called for renovating the home, but the "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" team found that the house was beyond renovation. It was on the verge of being red-tagged because of, among other things, lack of heat, a leaky bathtub, broken windows and an old carpet so full of dust that it would give the kids frequent allergies. When the EMHE team realized this, it was decided to completely tear down the house and rebuild it from scratch! The nearly-impossible feat of building a new house from the foundation up in just seven days is revealed on SUNDAY, OCTOBER 10 (8:00 -9:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

HomeAid America, a national non-profit organization that builds shelters for the temporarily homeless, and national residential builder Shea Homes, donated all of the time, resources and labor for the construction. Now the Garays' home is twice its original size. One of the many challenge facing the EMHE designers, contractors and hundreds of workmen and volunteers was to design a house that fit in with the surrounding architecture and also had enough space for the large family, which includes two sets of twins and Johnny's autistic brother.

While the house underwent this unprecedented transformation, the Garays - Johnny, 31, who works for a non-profit agency and coaches at-risk teens, his wife Veronica, 30, and their children, Christina, nine, seven-year-old twins Iris and Johnnie, Freddy, three, and Johnny's siblings, David, 12, eleven-year-old twins Nidia and Efren, Eric, six, and three-year-old Celina Cleto - went on a family vacation to Disney World.

Seven-year-old Iris Garay is a big Miss America fan. As a special treat for her, among those present to greet the Garay family upon their return was Miss America 2004, Ericka Dunlap. In addition to offering some design tips, she demonstrated the famous Miss America wave.

This episode of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" features Ty Pennington, Paul DiMeo, Tracy Hutson, Michael Moloney, Constance Ramos and Preston Sharp. "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" is produced by Endemol USA, a division of Endemol Holding. It is executive-produced by Tom Forman. This program carries a TV-PG parental guideline.

...was to design a house that fit in with the surrounding architecture
    Um, is that a euphemism for fitting into a run-down neighborhood? I guess we'll see.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Um, is that a euphemism for fitting into a run-down neighborhood? I guess we'll see.
    Preloaded with graffiti, hep.

Just when I think it's not possible to find a more deserving family... up pops another one. I think it's terrific that they're finding quality families.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I really liked the one with the woman who nominated the anonymous bone marrow donor that saved her daughter's life. Oh, the tears I cried through that show.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

This episode has been moved to 10/3. The 10/10 episode will be the Pope Family, which was scheduled to air 10/3.

Okay, I didn't think it would have been possible last week to cry any more than I did last Sunday night.

Wrong! This episode was very sweet. I cannot imagine NINE kids! What the above article didn't say is that she was sleeping while visiting him at his house, can you imagine the guilt he must naturally feel? (Not deservedly so, but I think it's a natural feeling.)

The house was amazing.. a two story master bedroom suite.. a spy room for one of the girls.. the Mexican heritage room. Then the construction company also pitches in and pays their utilities for a year?

Amazing. The man was so grateful and humble; I sobbed like a baby.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Great family! Great show!

I particularly liked that they included shatter-proof windows. Given the neighborhood they live in, I think it's wonderful that they took that into consideration. I mean, think about it, in THAT neighborhood? And everybody knows about all the goodies in that house now? I also noted they focused on the "non-easily-stealable" stuff like double dish-washers, jacuzzi tubs and such and didn't comment on the high tech electronic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wendiness
    Great family! Great show!

I particularly liked that they included shatter-proof windows. Given the neighborhood they live in, I think it's wonderful that they took that into consideration. I mean, think about it, in THAT neighborhood? And everybody knows about all the goodies in that house now? I also noted they focused on the "non-easily-stealable" stuff like double dish-washers, jacuzzi tubs and such and didn't comment on the high tech electronic stuff.
    I didn't notice that they didn't comment on the high-tech stuff, but thats a very good point. Smart of them not to. The shatter proof windows were a great touch. This family was very deserving and this is why I watch this show alone.

FORT Newbie
    Why would they build a house like that in the ghetto, it just makes them a natural target, if anything

FORT Newbie
    Actually it looked like a fairly decent neighborhood.

Maybe it won't make them a target. Having the crew there certainly seems to bring out community spirit and maybe it takes something like this to change things. Do you think the community would want anything bad to happen to this family and their home?

I knew I was in trouble when I started crying at the beginning of the show. What great people this family is, especially the father and even more so his wife.

I'm not too sure about that dinosour head either. It does look pretty scary. Cool in the daytime, but maybe not so much in the middle of the night when you've just woken up.;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast