+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EM: Home Edition (Now 10/3)- "The Garay Family"

I liked how they went out of their way to make sure the Autistic boy would be comfortable. I know how infrequently a lot of Autistic kids have such big smiles on their faces as he did last night, it was very heartwarming.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Quote Originally Posted by sukee
    I liked how they went out of their way to make sure the Autistic boy would be comfortable. I know how infrequently a lot of Autistic kids have such big smiles on their faces as he did last night, it was very heartwarming.
    Oh, I agree! I think he really liked his little hanging chair where he could just get off into his own little world.
    kitty-cats rule!

This show brings tears every time! How in the world do they keep coming up with such deserving people who actually appreciate all the hard work and effort that goes into this? These families are just amazing. I loved the Mexican heritage room, the kitchen, and the Miss America room for the little girl - notice the wall said Miss America 2018 (I think that was the year) - how cute! And all the extra thought and work to make David happy was great.

For being the biggest house project yet, it didn't look as amazing as some of the ones I've seen on this show before. I guess they didn't have a backyard?

But trying to fit it in with the other houses probably kept them from doing anything too elaborate?
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

FORT Newbie
    I suspect that putting in a pool or an expensive patio might just create problems in that neighborhood.

And they may have well used up all the budget on the house itself.

Besides it's already the most expensive house in a poor neighborhood, which means it will be a hard sell if they should ever move.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    I looooove this show! Even though I cry almost every episode....but these people deserve their new homes. Sometimes you think you can be at your lowest point and realize that there are others who are worse off than you. But it makes me wonder how these people pay for the taxes or what not after the project is finished. In the last eppy, Shea Homes paid for the utilities, if these families are so hard up, why put all those fancy computers and lights and other stuff in their homes? Does that not create hardship for some of the families? I hope not. These families are your neighbors, perhaps family....They deserve to have the best that life can offer. I wish I could do something in life that would have an impact on someone for life. There are so many things I could do in life...I really should get on that. Thank you ABC for helping these families. There are probably so many more that need help...may you get to them too eventually.

oh my god...

this was the first episode of EM that I have ever seen and it was absolutley amazing. it was soooo good to see a family like that get such an unbelievable house. it was nice because they took a deserving family and gave them a fresh start...my heart broke for them but at the end, it was so sweet watching all of the family be so happy! great show.....
    You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em...

Quote Originally Posted by Maiki
    Actually it looked like a fairly decent neighborhood.

Maybe it won't make them a target. Having the crew there certainly seems to bring out community spirit and maybe it takes something like this to change things. Do you think the community would want anything bad to happen to this family and their home?

-)
    Trust me - South Cenral Los Angeles, IS a bad neighborhood. And there are nice people living there, it's true. But it's still gang-ridden

Quote Originally Posted by Maiki
    I suspect that putting in a pool or an expensive patio might just create problems in that neighborhood.

And they may have well used up all the budget on the house itself.

Besides it's already the most expensive house in a poor neighborhood, which means it will be a hard sell if they should ever move.
    You're probably right. Not to mention that the upkeep on a pool is very expensive (I have in inground one).

I think adding that third story took care of the budget they may have used for landscaping and remember that house was VERY deep on the lot. They even commented on the challenges of fitting it in.

I have a little problem with the show suggesting that Shea Homes did such a remarkable job. Here in Phoenix, there was a news story about many, many craftsman (not Shea personnel) racing off to help out on the project when they fell way behind. Didn't mention that on the show, huh? I suspect because Shea agreed to do the project at a rock-bottom price in exchange for positive publicity (and admitting they couldn't do it wouldn't look good), so it was agreed not to show it. On the other hand, if that's what it takes for good people to get decent housing, I suppose it's fine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12