+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EM Home Edition (Now 10/10) - "The Pope Family"

EM Home Edition (Now 10/10) - "The Pope Family"

"EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION" GIVES A YOUNG GIRL WITH A SUN
    POISONING CONDITION A NEW LEASE ON LIFE, OCTOBER 3 ON ABC

"Pope Family" - When a young girl was diagnosed with sun poisoning, it completely changed her life and that of her family. She is unable to go outside without first completely covering her body with a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, hat and gloves. Since the sun can also penetrate her clothing, she must apply full body sunscreen every two hours. With the combined effort from the team of designers, contractors, hundreds of workers and state-of-the-art technology, "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" created a new living space that will enhance the quality of her life while making her living conditions much less restrictive. The episode airs SUNDAY, OCTOBER 3 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network,

Shelby Pope was just six years old when she learned seven years ago that she had polymorphic light eruption, also known as sun poisoning. If any part of her body is exposed to sunshine, a rash of small red spots or blisters appear on her body. It tends to heal without scarring but, despite medication and careful efforts, Shelby's skin breaks out and she endures excruciating headaches. Shelby is in junior high school and, except for attending a night camp for people with her condition, she usually stays in her tiny bedroom with the windows covered. She doesn't get the chance to do all the things young girls her age enjoy, such as going to the mall, the beach or camping.

As a result, Shelby and her family spend little or no time outdoors together. All vacations have stopped. Her parents tried to make renovations, but they didn't have the financial resources to do such things as tinting all of the windows of the house or of the family car.

While the house underwent its transformation, Shelby's parents, Matt, an accountant, and Caroline, a special education assistant, and Shelby's nine-year-old sister, Madison, went on a family vacation to Washington, DC, staying at the Wyndham Hotel.

The design team for this episode of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" features Ty Pennington, Paul DiMeo, Paige Hemmis, Tracy Hutson, Constance Ramos and Preston Sharp.

"Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" is produced by Endemol USA, a division of Endemol Holding. The series is executive-produced by Tom Forman.

This program carries a TV-PG parental guideline.

Sun poisoning? How bizzarre! Poor little thing.

I just love this show so much! This'll be another sob-fest, I'm sure. I'm guessing there just might be a lovely indoor pool in this makeover.

Can't wait! Thanks John!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

This episode has been moved to 10/3. It's being switched with the Garay Family episode, which was originally scheduled to air in this slot.

Did anyone see this last night? This was the first I've seen the gang concentrate on the outside of the house more - and what a surprise that was! It was gorgeous! They did so much more than just rennovate the house itself. I didn't cry this episode (I did watching the last two) but I still thought it was a great show. Loved how they got sick of Ty and his dang microphone and shoved him in the pool!

Hmmm, I wasn't terribly impressed with this episode. The sails provided incomplete coverage, and the trampoline was out in the full sun.

They could have done so much more.

It's so strange. I've cried at every Extreme Makeover Home Edition show, except this one. I guess I wasn't as moved with the family's story as I have been with other shows. Although tragic, it was hard to feel sorry for a family sitting on multi-million dollar property here in No. Cal. I also don't like seeing the family coming straight out and asking for certain things. It's anti-climactic when they say "We want an indoor swimming pool". The lack of maintenance of the property didn't feel fully explained (did I miss that?) so it just seemed like neglect to me. It looked like they had a lot of nice things in their house before the makeover, too.

I don't know. This one just didn't hit me like the others.
    Last edited by Rumpshaker; 10-11-2004 at 02:47 PM.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I found it interesting. (Frankly I don't care if they are the "most deserving family ever" I'm getting sick of that, it doesn't have to always be a sob fest, I just like the idea of having to do a house to met a specific need that a family has.) But, unless those sails can move and be repositioned, I don't see how they will block the sun all the time. In fact when they were doing the reveal it seemed like the sun was hitting different areas of the pool and yard.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I thought they did some pretty inventive stuff. Shelby's world certainly got a lot bigger, anyway. I liked the idea of a covered outdoor pool better than an indoor one. Those sails could use a little adjustment, but the majority of the pool was protected - I'm sure Shelby can manage to avoid the sunny part.

I was a little sad that that they had to pull down a 99-year old building.

And I'd kill for that wine cellar.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Still cute though not as enthused about the whole episode.

Probably because I want the Wine Cellar and the Party barn, but hey.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpshaker
    It's so strange. I've cried at every Extreme Makeover Home Edition show, except this one. I guess I wasn't as moved with the family's story as I have been with other shows. Although tragic, it was hard to feel sorry for a family sitting on multi-million dollar property here in No. Cal. I also don't like seeing the family coming straight out and asking for certain things. It's anti-climactic when they say "We want an indoor swimming pool". The lack of maintenance of the property didn't feel fully explained (did I miss that?) so it just seemed like neglect to me. It looked like they had a lot of nice things in their house before the makeover, too.

I don't know. This one just didn't hit me like the others.
    I totally agree rumpshaker....I didn't feel like the girl that couldn't ever see the sun was for real. I mean, my god, she was outside half the time, just covered up in clothes. I just didn't buy it this time.
    kitty-cats rule!

+ Reply to Thread