+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Future Episode-Extreme Makeover Home Edition filming in Oak Park MI *spoiler pics*

Future Episode-Extreme Makeover Home Edition filming in Oak Park MI *spoiler pics*

Hi!

I'm a little unsure whether or not this is OK to post but here is an article and also some pictures of a home featured in an October episode of Extreme Makeover - Home Edition. It's a great story!

Article: http://www.freep.com/entertainment/t...6_20040806.htm

TV design team comes knocking in Oak Park

August 6, 2004

Stefan Vardon, a 14-year-old from Oak Park, wrote an essay for extra credit at school earlier this year about his family.

Both of his parents, Larry and Judy Vardon, are deaf. His younger brother, Lance, 12, is blind and autistic. But Stefan wanted people to know he has a loving family that made him proud.

On Thursday, that essay helped the Vardons land the jackpot: a visit from ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," a reality TV show that remodels a family's home each episode.

The show's design team, led by star Ty Pennington, knocked on the Vardons' door around 7 a.m. In less than a week, they'll redo the brick, 980-square-foot home,adding communications and safety devices for people with hearing loss.

"I was shocked," said Stefan, who opened the door Thursday. "I was amazed. I was out of breath."

Stefan's mother was overwhelmed. A few months ago, Judy Vardon waited in line for four hours at Sears to turn in Stefan's essay as part of the show's application.

Judy Vardon does volunteer work teaching braille and sign language to blind and deaf children. Larry Vardon is a welder for Chrysler Group.

The producers of the show had called the Vardons to find out more information, but the family didn't know until Thursday that they had been chosen.

"I wanted to scream, but I couldn't," Judy Vardon said through a sign language interpreter.

After a few hours of taping for the show, the Vardons were whisked away to Mackinac Island for a vacation while the Home Makeover team laid groundwork for the task ahead.

The area around the home was cordoned off. About 100 people gathered at the corner of Gardner and Labelle, just off 11 Mile, to catch a glimpse of what was going on. They reached over metal barricades to snag autographs from the design team.

Eight-year-old Sarah Tomkowiak of Oak Park had an autograph from Pennington scrawled across her hand.

"Everybody loves Ty," she said. "He's the coolest."

In the next few days, a marvel of modern remodeling will unfold before the eyes of the neighborhood.

A job that normally takes four to six months will be completed in less than six days, said Adam Helfman, president of Southfield-based Fairway Construction Co.

Fairway is the local generalcontractor for the job, overseeing hundreds of local trade workers.

This mad scramble to redo a home has become a regular routine for the show's design team. The show is in its second season. The makeover of the Vardon home should air this fall.

The home makeovers are a challenge, but the effort always pays off, said Michael Moloney, an interior designer with the show.

The homes selected for the show usually involve a family with a special need.

In the past, the show has remodeled homes for a soldier returning from Iraq, two New York City firefighters, a couple expecting triplets and a family of eight children who lost their parents.

Moloney said he looks forward to helping the Vardons.

"They're proud," Moloney said. "We're just going to make their life easier."
    Website with pics: LINK

Darn.. I was going to post this for the past week, but haven't found an article about it until today. Heh

I drove by the neighborhood tonight and, while it's still crazy, got enough of a peek to see that the house is beautiful! Channel 7 has been showing updates all week and it's been really fun to see the progression.

They actually came out on Thursday and the news were covering the surprise announcement. I always thought the team showing up was faked, but.. apparently not. They tore the house down on Saturday and it was finished this morning with the reveal at 2pm.

Fun fun fun!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

This is so cool; EM Home Edition is easily one of my fave shows. It looks as though another deserving family will be helped here.

I am soooo glad to see Michael is there

I can't wait to see this epidoe! A co-worker of mine visited the neighbourhood during filming and brought back lots of pictures of Ty and the gang. The outside of the house looks wonderful.

Broadway - I missed the coverage on Channel 7. Did they have any exclusives on the inside of the house? I'm curious to see how they hooked it up

Quote Originally Posted by daddyzgirl
    I can't wait to see this epidoe! A co-worker of mine visited the neighbourhood during filming and brought back lots of pictures of Ty and the gang. The outside of the house looks wonderful.

Broadway - I missed the coverage on Channel 7. Did they have any exclusives on the inside of the house? I'm curious to see how they hooked it up
    No, they didnt show anything on the inside of the house, but they did say that it was completely hooked up electronically with all kinds of gadgets to help both the son and the parents keep track of each other. They gave details, but I cant remember the specifics. I just know it sounded impressive!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

What I saw on Channel 7 was the outside front of the home and the swing set for the younger son. They were saying the episode was to air in October.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2
    This is so cool; EM Home Edition is easily one of my fave shows. It looks as though another deserving family will be helped here.

I am soooo glad to see Michael is there
    I'm glad to see another Michael fan on here! It's great to know that the show will always have support no matter what!

Rach
    Kyan Douglas: To cute for words

+ Reply to Thread