+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Club (SpikeTV)

It's bad enough having to watch the commercials during I Hate My Job. The first publicly traded club? Is the guy high?

the club owner, I think his name is "ED" I think has some serious Adult ADHD going on ... somebody definetly has not taken thier Ritalin.

As for the "Investor" man that guy is so creepy, I wonder why he's investing in the club, maybe to stare at all the young girls who come in ..... yuck.

The more I see "ED" the owner the more sick I feel. That guy is so full of himself. I think his club is kinda lame and it seems like most of Las Vegas agrees, it seems dead most of the time. Does anyone know if the club "ICE" is still in business? What's up with his wife's obsession with the club kids and drag etc? ED seems like a real pompus kinda guy. :phhht
    Last edited by Paradizzle; 11-29-2004 at 05:38 AM.

Holy smokes this show's thread is dead! Even Allison's heavy gun's can't save this show. Has it been cancelled already?

anyone watch today's episode? They fired Allison. Good for her for standing up to those incompetent fools at ICE. Sounds like next week the owner brings in outsiders and go through the books at ICE. I bet they find ED stealing money or something. To bad Allison wasn't wearing something more revealing in her final episode!

Just watched my tape. Thank god they fired that imbecile, Allison. What the hell took them so long? That stunt she pulled with the little person was just bizarre. It was hysterical watching her try to justify it though. Funny how she thinks that every single person at the club is an idiot. Maybe you should look in the mirror Allison. The biggest idiot will be looking back at you.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

hey qboots,

nice to see someone else in the forum finally!

I agree that Alison was totally useless as far as the club goes ... what talent did she bring into the club? Not one celebrity! That club is a joke, they have more managers running around then they have patrons!

That "little person" midget thing was weird. I think ED's wife obsession with tranvestites and "club kids" to be even more bizarre.

The only thing bad about them firing Alison is now there is no eye candy any more. And who was that old woman dressed up like a club girl in LA when she was making fun of Las Vegas?

Anyone got any info on Alison?

snarky scenester
    Hi there people. Long-time lurker, first time poster. Fan of Apprentice, Amazing Race, American/Canadian Idol, and some others.

If you've heard my name before, then you know why I would be really interested in "The Club". I've watched every episode so far. If you haven't heard me before, then it's kind of hard to explain. I'll be terse: I've been involved in the rave/club scene for so long now I can't remember a life before I discovered electronic music. But enough about me. Here're my thoughts on The Club thus far:

Ed. Ed is a pompous ass. He's the type of person who loves to be in charge and loves to delegate, but doesn't want to do anything beyond that. The club would be much more successful if he had more of a hands-on role in the development of services, talent, and organization, but it seems like he doesn't, and his only purpose is to be a frontman for his investor.

Ed's wife is probably the coolest one of the lot. She is an actual partykid; she understands that clubbing is about the fantasy, and she lives for the sake of the nightlife itself. But her ideas for ICE (freaks, drag queens, post modern art and crazy, avant-garde sideshows) are certainly in opposition to ICE's target demographic, which seems to be upscale, high-class, business and professional clientele out for a night of wilding. I don't think that should be too much of a worry, though. This is Vegas. People go to Vegas to see things they won't see anywhere else, and more importantly: do things they won't do anywhere else. I say let her go with her creativity, she could probably turn the place upside down.

From my experience in the club and rave industry, only one axiom is true: no one's hands are clean. Everyone is doing something behind the scenes, from skimming money, awarding/taking favors, or....uhhh...."riding the white horse". The cameramen for this show have got to be some of the gutsiest cameramen of any reality show ever. They spend a great deal of time peering, sneaking, and eavesdropping on conversations. Considering it's Vegas, and considering it's the high-flying nightlife industry, I'm surprised they haven't had the living crap beaten out of them and their cameras yanked out of their hands and thrown to the ground more often. Or maybe they have. It's difficult to tell with all the editing tricks these days. The investor seems like a good-natured guy, but I wouldn't want to know where he got that money from.

Allison: Allison reminds me of one of those girls who skated through life relying exclusively on her looks. In high school, she was the popular girl, invited to all the parties. In College, she was the popular girl, invited to all the big events. Since she's from LA, she naturally used her looks and her status as a primadonna social butterfly to get into some pretty exclusive circles, jet setting with celebrities and living the good life. But she still, underneath it all, is completely, totally, and utterly useless. She probably has never had to pay for a drink at a bar in her entire life, and she would never dare go near any club unless she is given the royal VIP treatment. Because it's all about her. It's all about how popular she is and who she's with and how cool and exciting her life is because she's so much better than the little people who have to wait in line outside.

Going to all these parties and VIP clubs have not been a complete waste, however. It's gotten her some face time with some pretty important people and has gotten her on the contact lists of many of the power brokers of Hollywood. But it's still a facade. She is not as influential as she thinks she is, and here we've seen it blow up in her face. It does not appear like she commands much respect, mostly because she isn't useful for anything other than party decoration.

Club owners hate these types of people. Leeches. Moochers. Hangers-on. Like entourages. The people who try to hobnob with the important people at the club to increase their own status and sense of self-worth. But she's still just a poser. She even admitted in one episode that she didn't know a thing about house music. WELL WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU INVOLVED IN THE NIGHTLIFE INDUSTRY FOR!?!? I'm surprised it took until now for them to realize how useless she was and fire her. Especially since she considered herself so much better than her employers that she took the liberty of badmouthing ICE everywhere she went. Well, if no one wanted to go to the place before, they certainly aren't now. Thanks a lot, stupid woman. You're supposed to be generating buzz for the place, not killing it.

Paul Oakenfold: I'll just say it right out: Paul Oakenfold is one of the worst DJs I've ever seen. The man has not done anything interesting, creative or impressive since 1994, and he has been riding on the coattails of his own fame for 15 years. His productions are generic, trite and limp, and his mixing his barely adequate for a beginner DJ. I've seen him countless times, and he's never failed to disappoint me or trainwreck the entire set. With that said, however, what he HAS got going for him is marketing. Oakenfold was the first DJ who marketed himself as a rockstar, and that's why everyone is so enamored with who he is. And marketing may be what sells The Club, because if one person can pack the house, Oakenfold can. Not because he's good, but because he's well known. And because people are stupid.

No, Allison does not know Oakenfold, and she did not set up the meeting to hire him. Oakenfold and his label Perfecto are actually sponsors of The Club, like Heineken. A lot of the music you hear that is not issuing directly from the clubnights is probably music from his label. Oakenfold also composed the theme song, and it's the Producers of the show who set up his meeting with Allison. So if you remove that bit, then you realize how useless Allison REALLY is.

The Staff: I understand that ICE is trying to be this upscale place with valet parking and everything, but most of the Staff is really superfluous. You don't need a CEO, a General Manager, a Marketing Manager, a Topic Developer, a Scene Coordinator, two VIP managers, or whatever other redundant positions you think you need to run the operation. I've seen 1000+ person clubs run perfectly smooth with just 3 guys head-manning the entire thing. I think part of this club's problems are too much overhead. It just bogs things down; the more people involved in the decision-making process, the slower the project moves. My advice would be to strip down the management level of the club in half. You can probably merge the relative tasks of two of those guys into one. I would keep Joe--he has a good, clear and level head on his shoulders. I would also keep Marc, because he's probably the guy bringing in Gods Kitchen (which is HUGE brit superclub tour), and his connections with the Brit scene are invaluable.

Another thing, is it looks like all the nights are in-house jobs (at the time of the filming, ICE ran three nights--Thursday, Friday, Saturday. As of today it seems that they've axed the Thursday night so now they only run Fridays and Saturdays). I don't know a single club owner who runs all his own nights. He might run Saturday, but by and large the real secret to club success is to fill the bill by leasing the space to outside promoters. That way the club is bumping 7 days a week, each promoter taking care of a weekly, filling it with talent and diversifying the music. Then the management can focus on the things that DO make the club money: drink & beverage. Las Vegas is a 24/7 town. Design your club into a 24/7 party space.

But despite these flaws, ICE seems to be moving along adequately. They've brought in some bigname acts that you people might not know, but are HUGE in the rave/club circuit, including Donald Glaude, Mark Farina, DJ Dan, God's Kitchen, and Shaggy and DJ Jazzy Jeff, who I'm sure you guys HAVE to have heard of.

All the porters, waitresses, and bartenders are expendable, and it's not really important that we learn about their personal lives and that they want to become a professional boxer or move from being a dancer to being a waitress so they can pay rent. The average lifespan of anyone working the lower rungs of a nightlife environment is three months. Clubs tend to trade porters and bartenders like cards. I have bartender and server friends who've been with at least half a dozen clubs. Things get shifted around fairly quickly, new managements always come in and do shakeups, or steal staff from other clubs. It's a cutthroat business, that's for sure.

And that is why I like this show.

(god, this was long for a first post. Sorry, I'll never do it again. I don't ramble this much, honest)

Quote Originally Posted by Ishkur
    Hi there people. Long-time lurker, first time poster. Fan of Apprentice, Amazing Race, American/Canadian Idol, and some others.
    Welcome to the FORT Ishkur!

Very impressive first post. Hope to see you in the Apprentice and Amazing Race forums - they get a lot more traffic than this thread.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast