+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Designed to Sell-House Doctor-Sell this House

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar

Designed to Sell-House Doctor-Sell this House

I really enjoy these Home Staging shows, any one else? Do you ever get the impression that the house tour people are just people off the street and that they aren't really looking for a home? I find it fascinating that people don't understand that it isn't about how they live in a house but how it would best appeal to someone else.
    Last edited by Chorita KaBoom; 07-28-2004 at 03:31 PM.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

I enjoy these shows too! In Sell This House, I've always wondered about the people they catch on hidden camera. To me, it seems like they know that they are being filmed by the usually rude comments they make. On the other hand, if I were looking at a house I didn't like, I would probably rip on it, but ONLY if I knew there weren't hidden cameras. Since the same people always tour the house after the make-over, they were told at some point about being filmed.

I also love Roger Hazard. He doesn't look the part of a home decorater, or stager, or whatever you call him.

I love this show! Two good shows on today. The one in Santa Fe was bizarre! There was a big ole swimming pool in the middle of the house and they had it decorated to the extent it looked like a Mexican restaurant. I've never seen anyone paint over mirrors before. Kinda strange. The house just didn't do it for me. In fact, at the end they said one couple was interested, but they didn't state it had sold, like they usually wrap up each show by saying. Tanya Memme is just adorable and cracked me up when she popped out of the pool at the end. Roger is a cuddly teddy bear with such great ideas.

The second show of the day showed a super cluttered house. It was gross! People were walking in saying how much the house smelled. Eeewwww! Burn a candle, lady, or put some potpourri in some bowls, or if you have to smoke, smoke outside. Yuck! The homeowner had test-painted a spot in her bedroom and couldn't decide if she wanted to do the complete room ... but get this, it was three years ago! How could she lay in bed at night and look at this unfinished project? It would've driven me nuts! (I admit, though, I'm a bit anal about stuff like that.) I gagged when Tanya helped the homeowner clean her windows in the master bedroom and the towels were literally black with dirt! Ugh!

Love this show!!!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Rumpshaker - I watched the show as well. What was with that pool?! I really like this show and have it on every Sunday while my husband goes for a run. I am always amazed that people don't even bother to fix their home up to sell. I also love to see how much the homes sell for in different states.

I like the british show called House Doctor. Thw "doctor" Ann Maurice is hilarious... most of the changes she makes are very nice but she is not a shrinking violet by any means and does not spare the homeowners from her private thoughts on why their house is not selling. The host is a real cutie (Allistair Appleton) who also hosts another show called "Cash in the Attic" where people search through their homes to find property to auction so they can use the cash for something else. Don't know why but I am hooked.

I LOVE Allistair Appleton! The other day they were doing over a house with an indoor pool and it was Allistair's job to clean the pool. Damn, he's a hotty. Of these "house staging" shows I love House Doctor best. Maybe it's because my dad lives in the UK and I've seen some of the terrible decorating that exist there. I've helped him "americanize" (as he likes to call it) 4 houses there and each has sold at a considerable profit.
    Last edited by Chorita KaBoom; 10-06-2004 at 11:57 PM.

I love all of these home staging shows too .. I have to say Roger looks completely different without his beard! I don't like the new girl that's with him I miss Tanya.
    House Doctor is hilarious, I looove Alistair he's so cute and he's just the host as he says he doesn't do manual labour LOL.

With that said .. I can't believe the pukey colours brits use in their homes. I was astonished the first time I saw a neon green living room.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Staging homes to sell

I cannot understand how people can live this way sometimes, I agree with the earlier post about the smoking- Yeech - I smoked for years but always did it outside, I mean why should I expose my cats to secondhand smoke, they cant go anywhere.. But anyhow people should also "stage" their homes to live in, basically meaning keep it clean...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    I cannot understand how people can live this way sometimes, I agree with the earlier post about the smoking- Yeech - I smoked for years but always did it outside, I mean why should I expose my cats to secondhand smoke, they cant go anywhere.. But anyhow people should also "stage" their homes to live in, basically meaning keep it clean...
    I have to agree. After years of being a hoarder/clutterer, I had an epiphany and started living a much simpler, organized life. I still have collections and such, but I don't let them overtake my living space. I've orgainzed my home to fit the way I live, but it looks as if it was staged.

one of my problems is i like to do crafts. generally speaking crafts create clutter and heavy crafters probably have more clutter as well as a harder time keeping rooms tidy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast