+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Designed to Sell-House Doctor-Sell this House

I agree fluff...

The last episode that I saw of Ann Maurice's new House Doctor was totally shocking. Ann requested that the woman make a sofa cover. She was apparently a good seamstress but could not complete it. She ended up sitting in her car weeping and her partner had said that she felt like a loser because she couldn't finish the task. Ann's narrative was something along the line of "Let's see... you say you can do a task and then you can't... sounds like a loser to me...". I was gobsmacked, as they say. Then later on she told the person (in narrative) to get with it and later (again in narrative) she said some snotty remark about the person finally getting their act together. Her comments were truly appalling. Perhaps the producers thought this was tounge-in-cheek and acceptable but it came across as cruel and mean-spirited. This latest episode has actually turned me off of the House Doctor completely, including the episodes with Allistair.

I agree that Selling Houses is a much better program. I am also watching Neat these days. I really like Helen Buttigieg and her decluttering advice. She is really understanding of her clients and tries to get them to realize that their clutter is really disguising some other issue in their lives that they do not want to face. She is brilliant and the show is inspiring.

and don't forget .. it's Canadian Sooz lol
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey
    I am baffled that House Doctor has a new season. I have it on my Tivo and all I pick up are the reruns from several years ago. Can someone tell me about this and why I am not getting the new show?

I like Ann and I am disappointed to hear Allistair is not with her. He made the show for me.

Sooz and me are in Canada, shoepie, perhaps the newer series of one hour shows, minus Allistair isn't on yet in the US.

I'm always amazed by how much she spends too.
    Andrew made vast chages to a house on a show I saw the other week, even knocking down a wall to extend the kitchen into the under used utility room, for about 1500 pounds. Ann can spend that much on trinkets.
    Sure, you can take them with you, but don't bother buying stuff if you don't need it.

FORT Fogey
    Thanks Fluff, that is it. How is the new person with her and who is it?

There isn't anyone with her, apart from a gardener the show has acquired.
    He seems like a nice enough chap, but we don't get to see much of him.
    She's hosting the show, doing the voiceovers and the doctoring.
    Too much Ann for me to take, I'm afraid

FORT Fogey
    hmmmmmmmmmmm, yes, could be for me too. Alistair complemented her beautifully. I am not surprized to see him move on. He is a star.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom
    I really enjoy these Home Staging shows, any one else? Do you ever get the impression that the house tour people are just people off the street and that they aren't really looking for a home? I find it fascinating that people don't understand that it isn't about how they live in a house but how it would best appeal to someone else.
    Actually, I've learned a lot from this show when I've tuned in. Like, now I know I'm going to have to repaint my entire house white if I decide to sell it, since I made a point of giving each room a totally different feel by painting each room a different color. And my family and friends ALREADY hate it.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leigh
    Actually, I've learned a lot from this show when I've tuned in. Like, now I know I'm going to have to repaint my entire house white if I decide to sell it, since I made a point of giving each room a totally different feel by painting each room a different color. And my family and friends ALREADY hate it.
    Just a tip - one of the things I've learned from these show is that painting the house all white isn't actually the best thing to help sell it. White can make the house seem to cold and sterile, not something that a potential purchaser would "aspire" to live in. It's best to choose neutral colors (beige, soft greys, pale greens and blues). It should be homey, but not overwhelming. I generally tell people to pick the color swatch that they like, but then use it in the next lightest shade on the strip.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

H2O

Sell This House...

Glad there are more new episodes coming out now.

I'm enjoying how this season Tanya Memme is sharing more of her understanding of why the home may not be selling with the homeowner during the first visit.

I love the videotape the open house idea - that way the homeowners get totally candid comments.

Decluttering and making the room look as big as possible are crucial staging components.

I also like how this show doesn't shy away from stripping wallpaper. On Trading Spaces they avoid stripping wallpaper and use other techniques to cover (for example stapling silk flowers) that don't bring long term benefits to the homeowners.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast