+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Designed to Sell-House Doctor-Sell this House

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    I love all of these home staging shows too .. I have to say Roger looks completely different without his beard! I don't like the new girl that's with him I miss Tanya.
    House Doctor is hilarious, I looove Alistair he's so cute and he's just the host as he says he doesn't do manual labour LOL.

With that said .. I can't believe the pukey colours brits use in their homes. I was astonished the first time I saw a neon green living room.
    I love Alistair too, so cute.
    As a Brit and an interior designer, I have to say the North Americans need not feel too comfortable with some of their own decorating choices.
    Poor decorating exists the world over and if I had a dollar for every North American cobbled together country style living room I'd seen, I'd have a bank balance to rival Oprah.
    Not everything has to be rustic.

My favourite staging show is Selling Houses.
    I really like the presenter, Andrew Winter, who is an English estate agent.
    He manages to make the rooms look better than Ann Maurice and thankfully has no need to resort to making comments about how "the British" do things as Ann is apt to do, as if the homes she goes into are absolutely representative of every homen in the country.
    She could find some horror houses in her own country too, so she can lose the superior attitude.

FORT Fogey
    These are my favorite decorating shows now. I have never seen Selling Houses, I will add that to my Tivo.

Tanya Memme sets my teeth on edge. I want to smack her. Production has coached her on a lot of her schtick but GOD! she is annoying. She irritates Roger too. I have seen another woman do only one show. It seems they are all repeats and this show is not in production anymore. Anyone know?

We bought a brand new house in Florida and just set out to decorate it a month ago. These shows have inspired me to stage all the rooms to sell, so to speak. We cannot afford to spend a lot on furnishings as this is a second home. My house looks like a decorating show after. Adorable. I would have turned up my nose at dried branches and pilar candles a year ago but not anymore. Michaels craft store is my best friend!

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I agree, there are just as bad, if not worse decor in the U.S. I think that there are some cultural/economic differences between the U.S. and the U.K. that are reflected in the architecture, and Americans can't get their head around, though. Personally, I think some of the best new interior design work that I've seen comes from the U.K. It may be that I relate to the scale of the homes there more. I don't like the "McMansion" mentality that dominates current american architecture. I haven't seen "Selling Houses" yet, is it on any U.S. channels?
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

I'm not sure if Selling Houses is on any US network, but if you do get the chance to watch it I would recommend that you give it a look.
    I find Andrew Winter so much more palatable than Ann Maurice because, even though she does have great ideas, she seems to have a superior "I'm good at this because I'm American and your house looks like crap because you're British" attitude.

Andrew doesn't pull any punches with the home owners and always gives them good advice and harsh criticism where needed, but he doesn't seem to make it personal, it's all about making the sale.
    As he's an estate agent he also gives tips on how best to show the home to prospective buyers.
    He tells them to highlight positive features and how to downplay or put a postitive spin on any negative ones.
    We also get to see how the homeowners do with the showings too and if they follow his advice.

Selling Houses is one of my favourite shows.

As far as Ann Maurice (House Doctor), I noticed that she was a bit of a shrew at times but I never really thought that she was expressing a superior attitude because she was American (although she does have a sharp tongue and says some harsh things). That being said, I saw the new 1 hour version of House Doctor (sans Allistair Appleton) last night and she was incredibly nasty and arrogant. She actually said some very rude things about the "brits" and their lack of panache. The unfortunate homeowners were a soft-spoken elderly couple... I don't know how they coped. I didn't realize how much Allistair softened Ann's harsh edges. I am not impressed with this new show... If last night's episode is any indication of what is to come, I don't think this show will be on the air for very long.

They should have lost Ann Maurice and kept Allistair... what were they thinking?

Ugh, there's no way I could take an hour of Ann with no cutie Alistair to sweeten her sourness.

Sad to hear yet more of the anti-Brit attitude I complained about before is manifesting itself in their new series.
    I guess the new series is another show I can cross off my list

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Isn't Alistair working on a U.S. version of Cash in the Attic for HGTV? It's sad that he isn't on House Doctor anymore. Unfortunately, that means more of Ann's grating voice.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Love them

And it's helped me to spot a staged house and start looking deeper. Huge help.
    whatever.

I had a friend who was a realtor, and when Mr. Rose and I sold our last home 17 years ago, she gave me great ideas. She said, when showing your home there are several important basics.

1. Even during the day, put every light on, and have drapes/curtains open to let in as much light as possible.
    2. Always have a pot of water with cloves, cinnamon, allspice, yeast, (anything aromatic) bubbling away.
    3. Have the table set for dinner, including homey candles, placemats, wine glasses, etc.
    4. Definitely clear out clutter, and CLEAN.

Lil Rose was a baby at the time, so it was tricky, but our house sold within a week, and we got more than we were originally asking, as three offers came in simultaneously.

I love these types of shows, and am amazed how easily people will get turned off if their first impression is nasty.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I've seen a couple of shows from the new series of House Doctor, Ann really is unbearable.
    I didn't think she could get much worse, but without Alistair to neutralize her, she definitely has imo.

She was in a house where the bathroom floor was carpeted.
    I agree that is not a very hygenic thing to do, yet it's hardly a uniquely British thing, so there was no need for her to refer to "you people" carpeting bathrooms.
    I could show her an array of US and Canadian bathrooms that I've de-carpeted for people. I've even seen shag carpet carried across the floor and up the side of the bath on several occasions.

I'm done with this show.
    I'll stick to Selling Houses.
    Andrew does a better job, does it for less money and is more gracious in the process.
    Many steps up from obnoxious Ann in all areas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast