+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sensible Chic

Sensible Chic

wow does anyone else love this HGTV show as much as I do? imo most of the time the copycat rooms look better than the inspiration rooms ... the last room i saw cost the show $2,600 and imo it looked better than the $73,000 room from which it was replicated

i love this show because it the focus seems to be on how to and there's no drama. TLC, take some notes!

I like this too -- it reminds me of a magazine feature from twenty years ago. At the time, there was a magazine called "Apartment Life" (long since bought and re-named for the ritzy crowd. I think it became "Metropolitan Home," and it switched over to high-ticket decorating to attract a more profitable ad base).

Before that happened, though, "Apartment Life" was GREAT, aimed at middle-and-lower income people. Each month, "AL" ran a two-page spread on how to get the high-cost look for less. The left page was the expensive version, the right page was the discount version, and yes, always looked just as good or better.

I wonder how the rich people who own (and paid for) the costly rooms feel when they see this show!
    Last edited by lisasmall; 08-01-2004 at 04:15 PM.

I think this is a great show.
    Even if the rooms they feature aren't to my taste I still find the show really interesting and love to see how they keep the budget down.

Me too. I like this one. I don't know if the inspiration is really someone's room but a decorators showplace....

But it is extravagant and way toooooo much money on *stuff*.

The rooms aren't to my taste either but I love the elements of comparison for decorating the expensive one and the normal family's room.

Lots of great tips and transforming ideas for normal people like me.
    Fabulous Fifty

Want to be green?? Join the Premium Member FORT team. Click for more info!

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lisasmall
    I like this too -- it reminds me of a magazine feature from twenty years ago. At the time, there was a magazine called "Apartment Life" (long since bought and re-named for the ritzy crowd. I think it became "Metropolitan Home," and it switched over to high-ticket decorating to attract a more profitable ad base).

Before that happened, though, "Apartment Life" was GREAT, aimed at middle-and-lower income people. Each month, "AL" ran a two-page spread on how to get the high-cost look for less. The left page was the expensive version, the right page was the discount version, and yes, always looked just as good or better.

I wonder how the rich people who own (and paid for) the costly rooms feel when they see this show!
    First, let me just say that I do like "Sensibly Chic" (who am I kidding, I love almost everything on HGTV).
    Metropolitan Home still does the "High/Low" rooms, but the even the low room is usually in the 10s of thousands of dollars. It's like High=$70,000.00, Low=$25,000.00. I have often felt that they could do it for less and still use fairly good quality products, but that wouldn't please their extremely high end advertisers. Met Home is one of the few U.S. interior design magazines I read, mainly because they do occasionally show smaller apartments, which in terms of size I can relate to, but I think that they have really taken themselves so "upmarket" that they don't appeal to their original readers.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom
    It's like High=$70,000.00, Low=$25,000.00.

oh gosh! guess they'd turn their noses up at little old moi

+ Reply to Thread