+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Second Season of 'Airline' is "Excess Baggage" *spoilers*

Second Season of 'Airline' is "Excess Baggage" *spoilers*

NYPOST:

July 5, 2004 -- MAYBE they used up all the human drama and comedy last season, but the second season of A&E's hit reality series, "Airline," is about as interesting as being stuck in the airport after your flight's been cancelled.
    Can someone explain why I'd want to see two annoying older ladies who seem to have a few screws loose and a few screwdrivers under their belts acting crazy in the airport? I mean, really, isn't it enough to have to encounter people like this in real life?

And then there's the airline employee whose airline employee girlfriend is desperate to be on a reality show, so he proposes to her in front of God and everyone at a departure gate. Really — who cares? It's about as real as Jocelyn Wildenstein's face.

Then there's the weight lifter/cargo handler. Yes, it's very sad that his beloved wife died a few years ago, leaving him and his young son bereft. But they take us along to his body-building competition. I was rooting for the guy and all, but what in hell does this have to do with the airline?

Completely bewildering is the segment with a poor schmo who gets annoyed by being delayed 12 hours and says words like "damn!" which is enough to get him thrown off the plane after he finally boards (where he is making NO fuss whatsoever), and out of the airport.

Who are they kidding? I think this customer service agent was desperate to create a situation that would guarantee her TV face time.

The guy should sue the airline (Southwest) for humiliating him like that in front of the other passengers. It's not like he won't have a recording of the whole non-incident, which will be on national TV.

Sure, I felt for the blind guy who comes to the airport for his first meeting with a woman he calls his, yes, blind date (she's not blind) who's coming in on the next flight.

Will she like him when the meet? But more importantly, is she even on the flight? It looks like she might have (er, again) bailed because in a tension-building segment, we watch as everyone seems to get off the plane but her. Finally — there she is! Whew!

But wait a darned minute. Why isn't she shocked or even in the least bit surprised to see what had to be an entire camera crew standing there shooting her exit and her first meeting with her phone pal?

They are obviously going for the excitement — but miss the mark when the one real tension looks if not staged, at least goosed along.

The airports covered are LAX (Los Angeles — which I am about to fly to even as I write this), Chicago Midway and the ever-exciting Baltimore/Washington.

Unfortunately, I'm sitting right now in the departure area and feeling a whole lot of déjà vu. The same whiners, late people, loud people and annoying people are here that are in the show.

Maybe if I'd never been in an airport, I'd find watching the show and sitting here fascinating, but luckily I haven't been that sheltered.

Since we (meaning everyone on the entire planet — and yes — I speak for us all) hate being stuck at the departure gate worrying that everyone will get on line before us, why in the world would we want to deliberately put ourselves in that position while in the comfort of their homes — week after week?

This is a flight I'll skip, but thanks.
    1/4 stars
    http://nypost.com/entertainment/24443.htm

Gotta disagree. I'm giving this show 4/4 stars. (And a thumb.) I love watching people have melt-downs, and tonight there were some doozies.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Gotta disagree. I'm giving this show 4/4 stars. (And a thumb.) I love watching people have melt-downs, and tonight there were some doozies.
    I agree, I was pleasantly surprised with the show.

FORT Regular
    I didn't watch the first season (watched the marathon Monday though) but I think it's hilarious! Some people have valid complaints and others I just don't get how they can get that upset about something that is their fault (missing flights and lost tickets).
    Currently Watching: Big Brother 6, Real World: Austin, Laguna Beach 2

+ Reply to Thread