+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Trading Spaces reboot on TLC

Re: Trading Spaces reboot on TLC

I never thought I'd say this but I actually liked Hildi's room! I love the paint pattern. Probably never say it again, though. I haven't gotten to see the show because I have no tv service but I hope TLC will have it available on their site.
    "You're gonna tip that boat over and wet my weave!" To Rome For Love on Bravo

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

Both Ty and Carter have designed rooms on other shows. Maybe I'll watch next week.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The thing about painting over those walls in Hildi's room is that it's going to be insanely tough to cover that, especially with a lighter color (and unless they go with black, it's going to be a lighter color!). Even with those paints that claim to cover anything, I think it would take a lot of coats to cover that geometric dark and light design.

The reason I never liked Hildi and, to a lesser extent Doug, is that they never seemed to care much what the homeowners thought - not the ones whose home it is or their neighbors. They just want to do what they want to do. IMO, that's the mark of a bad designer. Of course they're going to be a little outrageous. I mean, let's face it: half of these people wouldn't go much farther than beige walls if they made the decisions, but still. They can be a little crazy without being a-holes about it.

After watching some of the old episodes, I was reminded of how hideous painted MDF can look. SO many of the designers would paint that stuff poop brown. UGH. At least with a $2K budget, maybe they can afford some actual wood. As someone else said, that dresser Carter made for Doug's room was pretty nice. I mean, it's not Ethan Allen or anything, but it's better than brown MDF.

I think the Murphy bed was a nice idea. I just don't think they had enough time for Ty to execute it safely. Of course, we know Hildi would blame the homeowners for that because they didn't finish the homework A daybed or a futon would have worked just as nicely and might have been easier.....although, of course, it's not as dramatic as the Murphy bed.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    After watching some of the old episodes, I was reminded of how hideous painted MDF can look. SO many of the designers would paint that stuff poop brown. UGH. At least with a $2K budget, maybe they can afford some actual wood. As someone else said, that dresser Carter made for Doug's room was pretty nice. I mean, it's not Ethan Allen or anything, but it's better than brown
    Pink and brown are controversial colors. A lot of people hate both saying it makes them look sick. Doug likes brown;and I like his brown things.

I remember when one couple got very upset over one of his beautiful brown rooms. The room was very not decorated before....not homey.

Hopefully they have paperwork where they list what they hate.
    The last word isn't really important in situations when nobody is listening.

FORT Fogey

I watched A LOT of the marathon of old episodes over the weekend. What came back to me was that each of the designers has a very distinct style, and the show was really a roll of the dice to see if you were lucky enough to get a designer in your house that matched your taste. Each of them did just about every room in their own style. Even with a designer like Frank that got all sorts of accolades for caring so much about the homeowners and looking out for what they liked - he had a country homey style that I can't stand ... he did rooms the owners LOVED that I was watching thinking "ugh, that's horrible".
    Hidly always seemed like an issue to me because she'd come up with ideas that didn't just have to be redone if the homeowner didn't like it -- they'd require remodeling if the owner didn't like it! The other designers seemed to keep in the back of their minds "if they don't like it, this is what they can do to reverse it" but Hildy didn't care!
    I also realized watching the old episodes and then listening to the reunion that the mindset of the show was really to inspire people to take on do it yourself projects. So in things like the furniture built from pressed wood, they were intending to show the cheap way to do it, not the great way to do it. And when you compare the finished products to what we're used to seeing now with other home makeover shows, it really does show what a difference a budget makes. I totally agree with those who've said they had to increase the budgets to compete with the finished products of HGTV shows!
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

2k 20 years later is a similar budget to the 1 K for the original show.

I don't like Hildi, I don't like her style. I wish the HO could have paid for the Murphy bed or the sister gift it. The homemade one is going to be very difficult to deal with. That room is going to take MANY coats of Killz to fix those walls. If you looked closely in the final reveal, there were a lot of bleeding lines in those triangles.

The Wayfair pop up is a fun idea. I did notice Paige directed each set of homeowners to a particular item. When the one sister liked the birds, Paige told her to take them AND the lamps.

I'll keep watching.
    crusin likes this.

I'm watching reruns now. I just adore Vern. He listens to the homeowners and even stays to help with homework. I can't wait until he appears on new episodes.
    waywyrd and aramcobrat like this.
    “Bless the world with your mind, heal the world with your heart, lift the world with your soul; elevate the world with your life.”
    ― Matshona Dhliwayo

Doug shared some insights about the episode and the show with Reality Blurred:

Doug Wilson on episode one of Trading Spaces, from the twist to ceiling fans

He seems a lot more in-touch and less pissy now...
    dagwood likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Hildi's room was horrible! ONE wall painted in that pattern might have been okay but not 3(?) walls and the ceiling!
    "Blindsided, oh, friendship blindsided you're going home, home!" -Paul BB18

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agamergirl View Post
    Edgar? That's the only other one I can think of right now.
    No, it was a woman. If I remember right, she was bald. She looked weird herself and her rooms were weird.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

+ Reply to Thread