+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Trading Spaces reboot on TLC

Re: TLC's top-rated 'Trading Spaces' to get its own format redo

Sometimes shows should stay dead.
    No goat killers on my island.

I always remember thinking Doug and Hildi tried to outdo one another in producing HORRIBLY designed rooms. They were almost evil. My guess is they haven't changed.

I will watch the reboot.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I remember reading an interview with the couple whose bathroom Hildi destroyed with all the silk flowers. They did have a sense of humor about it in spite of it being absolutely impractical to have that stuff in a steamy bathroom. IIRC, she used a nail gun to put them up....or was it a glue gun? Either way, when they took it all down, I'm sure they had to put up new drywall. They talked about leaving the lights on and the blinds up so looky-loos could see it from the street (it was on the front of the house)

I liked Laurie, Vern and Genevieve. Frank was too down home/country for me and Hildi and Doug were awful. I still remember Hildi using WALL PAINT to paint someone's carpet with rollers Oh, and that time when the designer (probably Hildi, again) painted the room brown after the homeowner emphasized how much she hated brown. It always seemed like Hildi did whatever the hell she wanted, homeowners be damned. Some of the others seemed to care more and wanted the homeowners to be happy.
    I believe Doug was responsible for the brown room, but I could be wrong. They reran that episode recently on TLC--what I do remember is that the neighbors made sure that the fireplace wasn't actually changed. They just built a sort of brown box around it so that it could be swiftly removed, as the neighbors were certain the homeowners wouldn't want to keep it. I thought it was nice of them to defend their neighbors' wishes that the fireplace not be touched so vehemently that Doug (or whoever) had to compromise.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I started watching the old episodes they were airing but then I remembered why I stopped watching the show in the first place. Most of the designers didn't care what the homeowners did or didn't want and I got so mad watching them destroy someone's home for tv drama. I really liked Vern but Hildy and Doug were awful. I don't think I will watch the reboot. This show just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. At least it did in the past. If our members say the reboot is better, maybe I'll check it out.
    Miss_Griss likes this.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I believe Doug was responsible for the brown room, but I could be wrong. They reran that episode recently on TLC--what I do remember is that the neighbors made sure that the fireplace wasn't actually changed. They just built a sort of brown box around it so that it could be swiftly removed, as the neighbors were certain the homeowners wouldn't want to keep it. I thought it was nice of them to defend their neighbors' wishes that the fireplace not be touched so vehemently that Doug (or whoever) had to compromise.
    It was Doug. I remember that episode. I felt so bad for the homeowners.
    tinderbox likes this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I was excited to see that Nate's going to be a guest designer (with Jeremiah), so things are bound to be better than the disasters before!! I'll be happy to see Vern too.

The $2000 per room is double what they used to have, according to that article (linked above). I'm looking forward to it - April 7th, with a catch-up episode beforehand.

Re: Trading Spaces reboot on TLC

Speaking of The Brown Room, they also ran the old episode with two gay couples, where Hilda and Doug decided to conspire together, and have one of them do an all-black room, and one of them an all-white room. I was truly angry by the end of the hour -- as one couple was when they saw their colorful family room (which didn't look like it needed a makeover, frankly) into an all-white nightmare.

I hope Doug is on some series of medications now.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I forgot it used to be $1000. I thought it was always $2000. I hate to see disappointed homeowners. I remember the brown room, the cardboard room, the moss/grass room, and the black and white rooms.
    “Bless the world with your mind, heal the world with your heart, lift the world with your soul; elevate the world with your life.”
    ― Matshona Dhliwayo

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Speaking of The Brown Room, they also ran the old episode with two gay couples, where Hilda and Doug decided to conspire together, and have one of them do an all-black room, and one of them an all-white room. I was truly angry by the end of the hour -- as one couple was when they saw their colorful family room (which didn't look like it needed a makeover, frankly) into an all-white nightmare.

I hope Doug is on some series of medications now.
    The black room was loved by couple number 1 (Don't ask me how???) However, couple number 2 despised their white room. (I thought it was the better of the two but thought it was way too monochromatic.) One of the men actually cried and couldn't wait to get off camera and have his mic removed. I didn't blame him. That said, I think the white room disaster would have been easier to correct than that ugly black monstrosity.

The episode I will remember till the day die is the Hildi disaster with the hay glued to the walls. OMG!
    aramcobrat likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Don't forget the eggplant-colored living room with the creepy mannequins! I remember the owner saying it looked like the set of the Dating Game. It was really horrific. I don't remember the designer right off. It wasn't one of the main ones like Frank, Hildi, Doug or Genevieve. From what I remember, all of these designers rooms were weird but that one was the worst.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

+ Reply to Thread