+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Trading Spaces reboot on TLC

FORT Fogey

Re: Trading Spaces reboot on TLC

I thought it was insightful during the reunion discussion to hear how many times the designers talked about inspiring the viewers to decorate themselves, teach them, etc. I hadn't really thought about them seeing that as their role during he run of the show, but can see it now. I think the problem with a lot of Hildy's designs were that she was trying to teach viewers to think outside the box FIRST rather than giving the homeowners great room first. When you look at all her crazy wall coverings, she was essentially saying "wall coverings are expensive -- so look at OTHER materials you can use to accomplish a great look for less money. In principal, that's great. But in practice, she left a wake of home owners with destroyed dry wall and looks they didn't want to keep.
    Critical and betty80 like this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

^^^ Exactly! Maybe it's great to show people that there are economical ways to overhaul a room, but there are also ways to do it that aren't so destructive.

Heck, I'm in the process of giving the nook above my kitchen sink a little facelift, using contact paper as wallpaper. Contact paper is cheap (wallpaper is NOT) - you can get a roll at the dollar store - and it peels right off when you're done with it. I've used it before and you can give the adhesive a little hand with spray-on rubber cement (or the kind in the bottle, which is around $3). When you take the paper off, you just rub any leftover rubber cement into a ball - no residue or anything. Of course, that's much less exciting than stapling a bunch of flowers or gluing bales of hay to a wall.

All I know is that if I signed up for TS and then, on the day, saw Hildi coming up my driveway, I'd lock the doors, turn off the lights and pretend I wasn't home!

Does anyone know how many episodes they're doing of this new season? I hope we get to see each of the designers (except for Hildi) more than once.
    aramcobrat and Phart Blossom like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I feel the same way about Hildi. I used to say I would make them put no Hildi in my contract.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

FORT Fanatic

Just finished watching this weeks new one. I must say I really loved Ty's room. When they said they were going to put tile on the floor I thought no way, glad it was those carpet tiles and not real tile...lol I wish I had a family room that big to do two rooms like that.

Carter's room was ok but that desk was way to small and what was that extra cupboard on the wall for? The bed didn't wow me either and he called it a trundle bed when that was really a day bed , no drawer with a mattress coming out. Carter did say he prefers to be a carpenter.

Lowes must be a sponsor. Wonder if the guy that filmed with him said hey I'm going to be on tv.

I loved Ty's room. I think the couple was too timid to appreciate it at first but I bet they came around quickly.

Unlike Ty's room, I didn't see any of Carter's (or anyone's) personality in his room. I think he just wanted to make something "nice" and not piss off the couple too much.
    tinderbox and AcookerTV like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

c'mon inner peace... Phart Blossom's Avatar

I bet the kids loved Ty's room, he did a great job. AS far as Carter's? I liked the ombre effect but then he put all that crap on the walls and covered it. Just say NO to dream catchers!!!
    Nobody is perfect...everyone's ass has a crack in it.

FORT Fogey

Totally agree on the dream catchers! In the right type of room with just the right decoration they may fit, but not in this room! And I agree it didn't make sense to make all that effort with the wall and then cover it up with the day bed. I would have liked it better if they'd put two chairs on that wall. It seemed strange to me to take the homeowner so literally saying she wanted to relax in the room to give her a bed! When Carter said he wanted to use that same wall effect in his daughter's room I got the feeling that he'd just taken ideas his wife used in their nursery and tried to translate them into this room.
    Phart Blossom likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

FORT Fanatic

I know this is shallow but Paige's clothes were very distracting to me. I am so used to see her in lose low rise jeans and a cute top.

Loved the reunion show and the bloopers too.

We have been spoiled by all the other shows we have been doing. We want to see everything just right the way an increased budget would afford.

Like in Ty's room, I wanted to see more sturdy new furniture.
    The last word isn't really important in situations when nobody is listening.

I loved Ty's room. I'm sure the bright colors will grow on the couple and that the kids will love it. However, my guess is that they pitched the secondhand store sofa and bought something new to put in its place.

I agree. Why put the homeowner thru all that hombre painting just to cover up most of it? Makes no sense. IMO, not only are the dreamcatchers out of place but so are those awful budvase wall thingies.

I'm liking the new carpenters.
    Last edited by tinderbox; 04-16-2018 at 03:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread